3. not so warm welcomes.

ACT ONE
(not so warm welcomes)

    DARYL SQUINTED a bit as he intently looked at the footsteps. "Which way did you say she ran 'gain?" he questioned, turning his head to look at the boy.

Rory nervously pulled his hoodie over his hair before pointing to his right. "That way."

Although the response seemed normal to the men, the woman knew it was far from it.

After all, her son had started his obsession with knowing every fact he could at the age of five. So him not throwing in a random detail about the trees, or something about the vicinity of the area was worrying to her.

"So what do we do, just press on?" The meaner one questioned the leader, taking a quick glance at the woman as he did so.

"No. Better if you and Glenn and—" there was a short pause as he looked at the duo, realizing he never asked their names.

"Veroníca, Rory."

"Yeah.. Yeah, it's better if you, Glenn, Veroníca and Rory get back up to the highway. Let them know we're on her trail— We had someone who saw her, and we're doing everything we can to find her. Most of all, keep everybody calm. Aiden will stay with us, we need all the manpower we can get."

The mean one nodded at the man before speaking once more. "I'll keep 'em busy, scavenging cars, think up a few other chores. Keep 'em occupied... Come on."

At his command, both the duo and Glenn were quick to follow the man.

As the group got a little farther from the other pair, Rory was the first to talk. His words directed at the meaner man. "What is your name?"

"Shane."

"Oh.. Nice to meet you, Shane. I'm Rory."

"I've gathered that." Shane spoke, earning a quick glare from Veroníca before her son continued.

"Did you know Shane actually means God is gracious, it's an irish name. My mama's irish! Yeah, that's where Hayes comes from—that's our last name it—"

"Shh." Shane shushed, putting a finger up to his lips as he continued walking.

"Is there a flesh-eater?" Veroníca questioned, on high alert which only earned a short laugh from Shane.

"No." His words made the duo furrow those brows, Glenn attempting to make up for his rude gesture.

"What does my name mean?"

"Glenn is a Scottish name. It comes from the word gleana which means valley." The boy smiled, earning a smile back from the man wearing the baseball cap.

"What about your name? What does Rory mean?"

At his questioned, the boy giggled as he recalled what his name meant. "Rory is also an Irish name, it means red-headed king. Which is funny because.. well—" The child then dramatically pulled off his hoodie before pointing to his brown curls. "I'm a brunette."

At his words, Glenn forced a chuckle as Veroníca smiled down at the boy. While Shane had cracked a small smile, it was pushed away almost as soon as it came when they neared the highway.

As soon as their feet hit the asphalt, people were around them, all looking at Shane with some hopefulness.

"We didn't find her.." As a woman with short gray hair took a deep breath, Shane continued. "But—We have a lead—"

"Who the hell is she?" A blonde woman interrupted. Seeming annoyed at the mere existence of the woman, who held her hands on her sons shoulders.

The woman then stuck her hand up, offering to give the pretty blonde woman a handshake as she introduced herself. "Veroníca. Veroníca Hayes, this is Rory."