2. partners

Nina's pov

It was finally Friday, and I was ready to get the day over with. Unlike what Kourtney said, the entire school still remembers what happened on Monday. You know...the milk incident. Also, don't even get me started on that curly haired boy. Every time I pass him in the halls he starts laughing and it makes my blood boil. He's lucky I have self-control and don't punch him.

I walk downstairs and grab my keys off the counter before heading out to my car. As I was driving to school, this red jeep ran a red light and literally almost crashed into me. I don't understand how some people have their license. I see the red jeep pull into the East High parking lot and I tried my hardest to not have to park next to them...but of course, the entire parking lot was filled except for two spots next to each other. I pull my white jeep in a spot as the red jeep pulls in too. I quickly rush out of my car and keep my head down to avoid contact with whoever is in the red jeep. But, because I'm Nina Salazar Roberts and the universe hates me, I trip over my own feet and fall. I look up and see the familiar looking curly haired boy, laughing at me. I get up and brush the dirt off of me as I glare at him.

"You got two left feet?", he laughs, hysterically.

"Very funny. Goodbye now.", I say as I begin walking away.

"Don't trip!", I hear him call out, which only makes my blood boil more.

I aggressively open the entrance doors and stomp down to my locker, not even realizing my friends were standing there.

"Uh, good morning to you too?", Carlos greets.

I slightly jump before letting out a breath, "Sorry, hey"

"What's wrong?", Kourtney asks me, bringing her hand up to my hair to pull a twig out.

I roll my eyes, "This idiot almost crashed into me this morning, then we had to park next to each other and I tripped and fell, and he started laughing about it. Not to mention, this is the same dude who was laughing at me on Monday."

My friends stared at me with wide eyes.

"Sounds like you had an eventful morning.", Carlos chuckles.

"Who's the dude?", Seb asks.

"I don't even know his name, but I know he's an idiot. He's got brown eyes, curly hair...red jeep?", I explain.

"Nina! That's Ricky Bowen!", Carlos whisper-shouts.

"Who in the world is Ricky Bowen! Never heard of him!", I whisper-shout back.

"He's the biggest jerk in the school...but for some reason all the girls are all over him.", Kourtney tells me.

I shrug, "Sounds about right...he is a jerk. And I can assure you...I am not one of those girls...and I never will be."

Ricky's pov

My dad left today. And I'm already miserable. My mom was gone this morning before I even woke up and she didn't even message me or anything. No good morning or have a good day at school. Nothing. I walked through the doors of East High and saw my friends gathered at my locker.

"What're ya'll doing?", I ask as I open my locker.

"Waiting on you, like per usual.", Gina replies.

"How're you holding up?", Red asks me. I give him a weird look.

"What?", I question.

"You know...since your dad left.", he explains.

Gee thanks Red. Just what I needed to be reminded of right now.

I force a smile, "I'm good"

"You sure?", Gina asks.

"Yes okay! I said I'm good! I don't need my friends to baby me like I'm a child!", I blurt, quickly regretting it.

"Sorry...just trying to look out for you.", she mutters before the three of them walk away.

I lean against my locker, rubbing my hands over my face. This...is gonna be a long two months.

Nina's pov

"Hey guys!", I greeted as I sat down in the cafeteria.

"Hi Nina!!", they all smile.

"What're you all doing this weekend?", I ask.

"We were thinking of going to the mall. Wanna join?", Kourtney asks.

I nod my head, "Ooo that sounds fun! Sure!"

Everybody breaks off into smaller conversations as I just people watch. I see groups of friends laughing, couples hanging out together, and...Ricky Bowen. It was odd, he was sitting alone today. I've noticed he's always with his friends that I think go by the names Gina, EJ, and Red...according to my friends. They seemed nice but if they hang out with Ricky...they probably aren't. I was gonna approach him, but the bell rang so...maybe it was the universe saving me from more embarrassment.

Ricky's pov

I think my friends are mad at me for going off on them...they didn't sit with me at lunch today and they've been ignoring me all day. When I was at lunch, I saw Nini or Nina, whatever her name is, staring at me. It felt kinda odd...but I just ignored her. She's so weird. I walked into Mr. Mazzara's classroom and turns out I have a class with milk girl. Just...great. I took a seat at the farthest seat opposite of her.

"Good afternoon class.", Mr. Mazzara spoke.

I'm already bored.

"Today, I'm assigning project. It will be due at the end of the quarter which is in about 3 weeks. It is a partner project, so I'll be assigning partners.", he finishes.

There's no way this is gonna end well. Not. At. All.

"Lily and Jack. Taylor with Kaylee. Brent and Caden. Ricky and Nin-"

"Wait, what?!", a voice shouts.

I look over to see her standing up, looking quite shocked.

"Is there something wrong Ms. Roberts?", Mr. Mazzara asks.

"Are you sure I'm paired with...him? I can't be with anybody else?", she speaks.

I just roll my eyes at her as she continues her conversation with the teacher.

"No, I've already paired everybody with their partner. No changes."

I quietly laugh under my breath as I see her angrily sigh and slump down in her chair. I think that's the first girl who's been upset about getting to work with me. Normally the girls are all over me but...this one. She's...different.