8. guilt tripping?

Nina's pov

I slowly open my eyes, soon realizing the different setting around me. I sit up straight and rub my eyes, so they focus. I blink a couple times and realize I'm in a different house.

Shoot. I spent the night at Ricky's?!

I look around, trying to see if anybody was home. I get up off the couch and stretch my arms out. As I gather my things and zip up my backpack, I hear footsteps coming. My head shoots up, meeting eyes with Ricky.

"Morning", he smiles.

"Hey uh- what happened last night?", I ask.

Okay...I really didn't remember much from last night? Like...did we get anything done for the project or...

"Oh yeah...we started watching a movie and then it was 1am and you decided to stay here for the night.", he explains.

I wish I didn't.

"Oh- well uh- I better get going...", I nervously chuckle.

"Do you want anything to eat?", he asks me.

I shake my head, "No thanks, I'll just go run through Starbucks. Thanks for uh letting me stay last night?"

He nods his head and smiles at me as I walk through the front door, closing it behind me. I stay frozen on their front porch, taking a couple deep breaths. I walk down the steps and get into my car. I glance one last time at Ricky's house before I start my car and drive away.

{Monday}

Ricky's pov

I stand by my locker, exchanging books when I turn around to see Gina standing there. I really didn't want to talk to her right now, but...she wasn't gonna let me go.

"What?", I ask, rolling my eyes.

"Got your proof yet?", she smirks.

"Gina...I genuinely don't think this is necessary. I've told you multiple times I don't care about her or like her.", I explain.

"I still want proof. Because you seem to be spending so much time with her. Not to mention, she slept at your house last night.", she speaks.

I roll my eyes at her. After a couple seconds my eyes widen and I look at Gina.

"H-how do you know that-", I question.

"None of your business.", she says, walking away.

What. The. Actual. Heck.

The bell sounds throughout the halls, so I slowly make my way to first period. I take my usual seat at the back corner of the room, and I find myself staring at the doorway, waiting for somebody. I don't know why...but every time a figure walked through the door; I'd turn my head immediately. I noticed Nina never showed up to school today. What's going on with her? Why's she missing so many days now? Not that I uh...care or anything...

I sit through class and the only thing on my mind was...Nina. I'm mentally slapping myself because...why. Why is she on my mind? Like...get out...you can't be here.

{At lunch}

I walk over towards the table that has Gina, EJ, and Red seated there. My nerves kick in once I realize I have to sit right next to Gina. As I take a seat, she stares me down while my other friends shoot me smiles.

"Hey Ricky!", Red and EJ greet.

"What's up guys? How was your weekend?", I ask, avoiding any contact with Gina.

"Good! EJ, Gina and I pretty much hung out all weekend. What'd you do? Gina told us you were busy.", Red speaks.

I take a few deep breaths. Gina was probably gonna rat me out right here, right now. I had to come up with a good lie.

"Oh yeah I was uh...you know...", I stutter, side-eyeing Gina who had a smirk on her face.

"He was hanging out with his girlfriend, Nina.", she spats.

I press my lips together and squeeze my eyes shut. That didn't age well.

Really Gina? Really. You didn't have to do that.

I can feel my friend's eyes on me. I didn't want to go back to reality. They were about to tease me about "dating" a girl I absolutely...hate. I don't get what's so hard to understand? I. don't. like. Nina. Period. I open my eyes to meet my friend's gaze's.

"Nina?!", EJ chuckles.

"Ricky...are ya'll seriously dating?", Red asks.

"No! We're not! Gina's just...I don't even know! Jealous?!", I blurt.

Everybody sits in silence at the lunch table, blankly staring at me. I stare down at my lap, fidgeting with my fingers as I wait for somebody to say something. Anything.

"I'm not jealous.", Gina quietly speaks.

"Then what's your problem?!", I ask. I was probably a little more aggressive than I should've but who cares. She's making me mad.

"Ricky, I just- you're spending so much time with her an-"

"I'm literally not!", I interrupt, "Plus, it's not like I'm willingly hanging out with her! It's for a project Gi. A project! And as soon as it's done, I'm never talking to that girl again! I've told you this!"

"Okay...I'm sorry...", she quietly talks.

She's either guilt tripping me...or she's genuinely sorry.

We sit in silence while we eat our lunch for the rest of the period. Hopefully I just knocked some sense into her, and she'll stop bothering me about this. Like...I don't even like Nina. She's...weird...and annoying.

Nina's pov