11. the devils smile

juuust something quick- if u notice something different abt the way characters r acting compared to like all the last chapters, please disregard it- originally nina was supposed to be sassy and confident and i realized i got off that track...so now imma get back on it 

anyways enjoooyyyy :))) 

(also sorry its kinda short-) 

{Friday evening}

Nina's pov

I sit in my car that's parked right outside of Ricky's house. We didn't exactly decide if we were working tonight...so I figured I'll just show up because then were bound to get something done. Right? I take a deep breath before I turn my car engine off and get out of the driver's seat. I open the back door and grab my backpack, slinging it over my shoulder as I walk up the pathway and up the steps to his front door. I bring my fist up to the door and gently knock a rhythm. A couple seconds later, the curly haired boy opens the door and the look on his face was priceless. He looked so shocked.

"Nini?!", he exclaims.

I sigh, "It's Nina you idiot. Get it right."

I was feeling extra sassy and confident today so...while he stood in the doorway looking like he saw a ghost, I pushed past him and walked into his house. I heard the door shut and turned around to see him staring at me with shocked, yet annoyed, eyes.

"What do you think you're doing?!", he questions, getting angry.

"Well, you see I'm standing here...", I innocently smile.

"Get out.", he groans.

"Nope! We're working on the project whether you like it or not Bowen.", I argue.

He rolls his eyes at me as I take a seat at the kitchen island. I unzip my bag and take my things out, getting prepared to work. I look over to him to see him standing there with anger washed all over his face.

I raise my brows at him, "Well...what're you doing? Go get your stuff."

He stumbles up the stairs, a couple minutes later coming down with his notebook and pencil. He takes a seat at the kitchen island as well before letting out an angry sigh and resting his elbows on the counter. I turn towards him and smile.

"Ready?!"

"I hate you.", is all that comes from his mouth.

I blink my eyes a couple times, still smiling, "Well, I could say the same about you, but I won't."

He rolls his eyes, opening his notebook to a blank page and staying silent. I open my song writing notebook and grab my pencil in my hand, looking at the things I've already jotted down.

"Alright...so...a love song. Hey, random question?", I say.

He looks up at me, "What now?"

"Do you know how to play pretend and act?", I ask.

He furrows his brows at me, "Uh...sure?"

"Great! Then, you'll be just fine with my plan!", I cheer.

"W-what plan?", he questions.

"Okay, so I'm thinking, since it's very obvious we don't love each other, we're just gonna have to pretend we do and write the song from that perspective. Okay? Okay.", I explain, looking back at my notes.

"I- that's the stupidest plan I've ever heard", he chuckles.

"Do you have a better idea?", I ask, annoyed.

He stays quiet so then I smirk at him.

"Yeah, that's what I thought.", I snap.

After a couple minutes of silence, he finally speaks up.

"Why don't we just forget about this and accept the F?", he asks.

"Uh...now that is the stupidest plan I've ever heard.", I reply, widening my eyes.

+

{Saturday}

Ricky's pov

Last night was a hot mess. Once again, like always, we literally got nowhere. We were bickering half the time. Also, I'm ready for my dad to be back home now. My mom has been in her office since 7am this morning. It's 4 o clock...in the afternoon! She pays zero attention to me and doesn't even acknowledge me. Sometimes I wish I just had somebody in my life who...understands me...and knows what I'm about? I get up off my bed and slip my shoes on before running down the stairs. I grab my skateboard and walk out of the door. I begin skating down the sidewalk towards the most popular park in Salt Lake. Once I arrive, I walk down the path and notice two girls sitting at a picnic bench.

"Gina? Nina?!", I whisper to myself.

Now, what the heck are they doing here? Gina's about to ruin everything. Not that I have anything to lose with this Nina girl. I sneakily walk past them and hide behind a tree, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"So...how are things with Ricky going?", Gina asks.

Nina nervously chuckles, "Oh uh...it's fine I guess..."

"You guys hang out a lot...", Gina smirks, "Do you like him?"

"Ew no!", Nina quickly responds, "I can't stand him...sorry, I know he's kinda your friend and all."

Gina shakes her head, "No...it's good. Sometimes I can't stand him either."

They both share a laugh before they continue conversating. As I was listening, I dropped my skateboard on my foot and accidentally let out a quiet yelp. They both turned around to face the direction I'm in, but luckily, they didn't notice me. I probably would've had my head chopped off by Gina if she saw me. But in all seriousness, what is she doing with Nina?

Nina's pov

"Let me be honest with you...you should probably stay far away from Ricky after this project.", Gina says.

I scrunch my brows and ask, "Why?"

I don't mind leaving Ricky in my past after this project. I don't like him...so why bring the negativity into my life? But I was curious.

"He loves to play with girl's feelings. And...since we're becoming friends, I just wanna look out for you. I don't want your heart to get broken.", she innocently smiles.

I shrug, "Oh...uh okay then."

+

General pov

It was around 7pm when Nina and Gina were watching the sun go down. The two girls had had a good night, and they both were enjoying the other's company. Especially Nina. She never had many friends...and now she might get a popular friend? It was a win for her. At least that's what she was thinking in the moment.

"Well, I better get going. We should do this again sometime.", Nina smiles.

Gina nods her head, waving to Nina as she walks away. Once her figure disappears into the darkness, Gina lets out a breath and smiles devilishly to herself.

"I've got her wrapped around my finger. Ricky's all mine Nina."