14. realization

-this chapters super short im sorry :(( kinda a filler buuut hopefilly it's boutta get more interesting >:)

Ricky's pov

It was Friday and Nina hasn't been here at all. I was beginning to feel bad about everything I did, and regret began overtaking me. But...I shouldn't care because I have Gina back. Gina, EJ, and Red are all I need. But...now that I'm thinking about it, I do kinda need Nina considering our project is due a week from today. I have absolutely nothing written down. But if I get an F, I get an F.

I walk through the halls of East High and I can feel people's eyes on me. Do they know something I don't? I walk up to EJ, Red, and Gina who are gathered by my locker.

"Yo...what's up with everybody staring at me?", I ask.

"You haven't heard?", EJ questions.

I raise my brows, slowly shaking my head, "Um...heard what exactly?"

"Dude, everybody's so against you now.", Red chuckles.

"I- what why?!"

"Word got around that Nina's dad died in a car crash or something? I dunno, I didn't care then, and I don't care now.", Gina bluntly says.

The bell rings and everybody parts ways, heading to their classes. I'm stuck. Stuck standing by my locker, replaying what Gina told me.

Her dad died?!

Great. I treat her like trash and then her dad dies. This is just adding onto the fact I already feel bad. She's never gonna forgive me...and if I try to befriend Nina again, I'm gonna lose Gina. Literally what the heck am I supposed to do?

+

General pov

Kourtney, Carlos, and Seb all get out of Kourtney's car and walk up the steps to Nina's front door.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?", Seb questions.

Kourtney nods, "Yeah...she isn't okay."

Carlos raises his fist and knocks a few times on the door. After a couple minutes of awkwardly standing on the front porch, the door finally opens. Once it fully opens, it reveals the brunette-haired girl. But she wasn't like her usual self. Her eyes were red, puffy, and swollen. She was as pale as a ghost. Her hair was thrown up into a messy bun that looked like it had been there for days. She was wearing baggy sweatpants and a large hoodie. It was clear she hadn't been taking care of herself.

"Nina...", Kourtney breathed out, engulfing her friend in a hug.

Carlos and Seb also joined in the hug, comforting their friend.

Ricky's pov

My friend's and I were out at our favorite diner, enjoying a nice meal on a Friday night. Gina, Red, and EJ were caught up in a conversation while I blankly stared out the window. I was too wrapped up in my thoughts about...Nina. I regret everything I've ever said and done to her. For some reason now it was hitting me that she was only ever trying to be nice...and all I gave back in return was bullying her. I could still picture the smile on her face, the time when I agreed to do the song with her. She was so happy. I wish I could make it right...I really do. But I'd have to pick sides. Gina...or Nina.

"Earth to Ricky?", Gina snaps.

I shake my head, getting rid of my thoughts as I come back to reality.

"Y-yeah?", I answer.

"What's going on in your head?", Gina asks me, wrapping an arm around me.

I try to hide the confusion I'm feeling and just awkwardly scoot farther from her.

"N-nothing...just thinking.", I answer, trying to sound normal.

"Don't tell me you're thinking about Nina.", Gina groans.

I quickly shake my head, "N-nah, no...I'm done with her...for good."

Gina nods and smiles, "Good."

I force a smile and stare back out the window as my friends begin conversating again.

+

Ricky's pov

I was lying on my bed as thoughts circled round my head. I wanted to text Nina and apologize for...everything. But I know she won't answer. I just...there's this random urge in me to check up on her. I just have a weird...gut feeling that something's wrong? And yes, I know her dad just died, according to people from school, but...I don't know. I hover my thumb over her contact name as I contemplate calling her. I eventually say whatever and press on it, holding it to my ear.

"Hey it's me Nina! Sorry I can't pick up right now, please leave a message!"

I take in a deep breath before opening my mouth to talk.

"U-uh Nina...it's uhm me...R-Ricky. I just- uh I wanna apologize...for...everything. Y-you didn't deserve a-any of it. I- I've been a jerk...and I'm s-sorry. Um...I'm sorry I'm just now apologizing and realizing all this. I uh...hope to see you at school next week.", I finish, hanging up, throwing my phone onto the bed.

I sigh as I pull my phone back into my view, and open Instagram. I find my fingers typing in Nina's username, then scrolling through her photos and videos posted. I can't help but smile at everything I see. She looked so...happy. And now I've ruined it...all. I really don't understand anything I'm feeling right now. It's like...I don't like her...but yet here I am smiling at her photos? Her smile and laugh were contagious.

As I sit there and scroll some more...scanning through her photos. I start to realize something...that doesn't exactly comfortably sit with me but...

Maybe I don't hate her as much as I thought?

Nina's pov