43. christmas eve gone wrong

once again, if you need me i will b hiding in a very secure location so none of yall can find me.

"Everything went black."

Ricky's pov

I'm in the kitchen, helping my parent's prepare food for tomorrow, Christmas Day.

"Mom where do you want this?", I ask, holding a glass dish up.

"Um...if you can find room...in the fridge.", she says.

I nod my head, picking the dish up and walking to the fridge. I set it in and close the door as a rhythm of knocks sound on our front door.

"I'll get it.", I offer.

I wipe my hands on a towel before heading to the front door. I run my fingers through my hair, so I don't look like such a mess. I twist the handle and open the door, revealing a man in dark blue pants and a lighter blue shirt. My eyes scanned him, landing on a name tag.

Officer John. Salt Lake City Police Department.

I clear my throat, "Uh- hello?"

He looks down at his small notepad before back at me, "Ricky Bowen?"

I nervously nod my head, "Yeah...that's me."

"Can I have a word with you?", he asks.

"Ricky who's at the door?", my mom says coming around the corner, "Oh! Hello- can we help you?"

"I just would like to have a word with your son if that's alright? He's not in any sort of trouble or anything I promise.", the officer speaks.

My mom nods her head and I step outside the house, closing the front door.

"Is everything okay Officer?", I ask, feeling my heart begin to race.

"You know her?", he says, showing me a photo.

My heart stops when my eyes see brunette hair. Golden brown eyes. Her petite body. Her sweet smile.

"Uh- y-yeah...she's- she's my girlfriend. Nina Roberts...", I say, getting choked up on my words.

He sighs, "Figured you'd know her. You were in her emergency contacts."

My chest begins moving up and down a lot quicker now. I feel sweaty and flustered. Like I can't think straight anymore.

"Did- did something happen?", I ask, anxious.

He takes a deep, "She got in a car accident. Right outside the Target...in the intersection."

My heart sinks and the world stops. My mind goes blank, and I forget how to breath. How to speak. How to function.

"Oh my gosh- oh my gosh. Oh my gosh-", I begin to freak out, "H-how bad is it? Can I go see her? Where is she? I need to go-"

"Sir, she was taken to the hospital...she'll be okay. It was a bad accident...but not fatal.", he explains, "I just needed to inform you. You can head to the hospital, and they'll give you more details."

I nod, "T-thank you."

He nods his head before I run back inside the house. I quickly throw my shoes on and run through the kitchen, searching for my car keys.

"Where- where are my car keys! Gosh dang it-", I mutter.

"Ricky what's wrong?", my mom and dad ask.

"Nina- she- she got into a car accident. She's at the hospital.", I frantically explain, finding my car keys.

I run out the door and get into my jeep faster than ever, starting the engine and backing up. I speed out of the neighborhood and onto the road. As I pass by the Target, I slow down, looking at the workers who were cleaning up the vehicles.