19. smile through tears

the end had me sobbing and im the one writing it. am i just sensitive? yes. but, just thought id warn yall.
now enjoooyyy :)
also this title kinda sucks- i just wanted to include two things that happened in this chapter but anyways yah enjoy nooow

Nina's pov

"Ricky what?! That's a thousand dollars...", I say in disbelief.

He shrugs, "Yeah and? We both know I have the money."

I sigh, "Ricky you really don-"

"No. I'm buying it. Just...send me the place and information.", he says.

I nod, "Thank you...times a million. Maybe I'll give you another free meal?"

He playfully rolls his eyes, "Nah"

"Oookaayyy...I'll get going now. Nini you okay closing?", Makenna says, smirking at me.

I smile and nod, "Mhm! Goodnight, see you tomorrow!"

She waves as she exits the building. I grab a cloth and begin wiping down the counters and Ricky just quietly waits there.

"Y-you can go home if you need", I say.

He shakes his head, "Uh it's okay...do you uh do you want help?"

"If you want...I didn't know Ricky Bowen was one to help a girl clean a little ol diner", I chuckle.

He shrugs, "Eh, I got nothing better to do anyways"

I watch, and smile, as he picks up another cloth and walks from table to table, wiping it down. I guess you could say the hatred might...and I said might...be decreasing just a tad. I mean, how can I hate him after knowing he's buying my father's gravestone- I just...can't.

"And...done", Ricky says.

"You work fast huh?", I say.

He shrugs and sarcastically replies, "It's one of my many talents"

"Oh yeah? And has one of your talents helped you come up with the project due in three days?", I laugh.

He presses his lips together and laughs, "Yeah...not exactly..."

I shrug, "Sometime last-minute ideas are better, you know?"

"Yeah...", he smiles.

"Well, we should probably get outta here...", I sigh.

He nods and the both of us get up, walking out of the door. I lock it behind us as we walk to our cars.

"Uh- thanks for everything Ricky...I really appreciate it.", I smile.

He nods at me, "Anytime. Night Roberts"

I smile, "Night Bowen"

We both get into our cars, and I glance at him once more before pulling out and driving towards my house. I was blasting Taylor Swift the entire ride home, while screaming the lyrics obviously. I felt content right now. Even after all I'm going through right now, I was feeling happy. As I arrive home, I pull into my driveway and shut the engine off. I grab my bags and get out, walking up to my door. I unlock the front door to my house and trip on something when I try to walk inside. I look down and see a box sitting on the doormat. I pick it up and bring it inside, confused.

After I've placed everything down, I stand in my kitchen, with the box on the counter. I open up the box and see a box of chocolates, along with a teddy bear.

"What...", I whisper to myself.

I immediately grab my phone and call Kourtney, Carlos, and Seb. After a few minutes of the phone ringing on, they finally pick up.