26. lights

{Friday}

Ricky's pov

The bell finally rings, and I jump out of my seat, rushing out the door. I needed to make it to my car before Nina because I was driving her to work, and I didn't want her to have to wait. She's been sleeping at my house since Wednesday when she told me about her story. I've just been...helping her out a little. She's admitted she's struggling. And I can see it. And...I'm obviously not gonna just sit here and watch.

I weave in and out of cars in the parking lot, eventually stopping at my red jeep. I rest my hands on my knees and bend over, catching my breath.

"Ricky?", I hear a voice say.

I look up to see Nina walk around from the other side of the car. I squint my eyes at the sun and give her a smile, standing up straight and straightening my clothes out.

"Did you like- run here?", she chuckles.

I take a sip of my water, "M-maybe..."

She shakes her head, giggling, "Why's that?"

We both get into my car, and I start the engine before I answer her.

"I didn't want you to be waiting for long...", I shyly reply.

I hesitantly look over towards her, only to see her smiling that sweet smile of hers. Gosh, I think I'm really in love with this girl.

"Awh, Ricky's got a soft spot!", she teases, poking my shoulder.

"Only for you", I mumble, quiet enough so she doesn't hear.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing. I take a right here, correct?", I ask, trying to change the subject.

She nods her head and smiles at me. Soon enough, I pull into the diner parking lot and we both get out. We walk inside and Nina heads to the back room while I walk to the counter that contains Makenna behind it.

"Oh, hey Ricky! Did you come with Nina?", she smiles.

"Yeah! How're you uh- how are you doing?", I ask.

She nods, "I'm good! How's...how's Nina? I heard she was MIA for a week or so? Is she okay?"

I bite my lips, refraining from telling her, "Yeah...she's all good."

She lets out a breath of relief, "That's good! I was worried."

I nod at her before she whips around and grabs two shakes from the counter, walking to the table to deliver them to the customers. Then, Nina comes out of the backroom, her apron tied around her, her hair pulled back into a messy braid.

"Oh- Ricky you don't have to stay if you don't wanna...I have kinda a long shift tonight.", she awkwardly laughs.

"Nah, it's fine...I'll just wait.", I smile.

She nods and softly smiles at me before getting to work. I take a seat at a booth in the corner and just (in the most non-stalker way possible) watch her do her thing. She's quick on her feet, walking up and down the diner to deliver orders. She impresses me. Then, I watch her smile and laugh with customers...and it breaks my heart knowing she's struggling inside. But at least I get to be there for her now.

Nina's pov

My shift is ending in about thirty minutes. I'm so tired and drained. I've given myself a headache because of how much stress I'm under, worrying about my mom. I'm terrified one day I'll arrive home to see ambulances taking her away on a stretcher.

I open the door to the back room and see Makenna cleaning up. I begin to take my apron off before she starts speaking.

"Hey, how're you doing?", she asks.

I nod, "I'm...good?"

"You sure?", she chuckles.

I nod again, forcing a laugh, "I'm sure. I'm just tired, you know?"

She lets out a breath, "Understandable"

We share a quick laugh before we both hang our aprons up and clock out. We grab our bags and walk into the main area. When we get out there, Ricky's waiting for me.

"You ready?", he asks, smiling.

I nod my head and smile at him. My attention glances over to Makenna's face to see her smirking at me. I take my foot and kick her shoe, shooting her a playful glare. She bites her lip and puts her hands up in defense as she grabs the key to the diner. All three of us walk out of the diner and Makenna locks the door.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow, Nina! Have a good night!", she smirks, winking at me.

I playfully roll my eyes at her, "See you tomorrow!"

Ricky and I both get into his car and once the doors are closed, I rest my head against the headrest and let out a sigh, closing my eyes. I hear the engine start, but I can feel Ricky's eyes on me.

"You good?", he finally asks.

For a second, I was getting upset that I couldn't spill everything on my mind to him. But, I soon remembered that...well, he knew. And...well, I could tell him.

"Not...exactly.", I sadly chuckle, twiddling with my thumbs.

"What's up?", he asks, pulling out of the parking lot and beginning to drive down the road.

"I don't know...I'm just worried, I guess?", I shrug.

"About your mom?"

"About...everything. My mom. Money. The house. My education. I mean- what am I supposed to do if I don't have enough money for- for the hospital bills and the house bills? What if I lose the house- I'll have nowhere to go. My family isn't in touch with us anymore. I- I'd have nowhere to go. I-"

"Nina.", he interrupts, "Just...take a breath, okay? Trust me, I'm not letting you lose the house. And worse case, if you do, you come live with me. My parents won't care. They're at work half the time."

I nod and slightly smile, looking down, "Thanks Ricky..."

Soon enough I look up and notice were not at my house. I look around and realize were sitting in a Starbucks drive thru.

"What're we doing here?", I ask.

He shrugs, "Thought you could use a nice coffee tonight?"

I shake my head and giggle, "You know me all too well Bowen"

Ricky's pov

I hand Nina her hot coffee before driving off, towards her house. Every now and then I'd glance at her in my peripheral vision to see her happily sipping on her coffee. I wish she could be this happy all the time. I hate seeing her upset. The rest of the car ride is silent, minus the quiet music playing from the radio.

After about ten minutes, I arrive in her neighborhood. I could tell Nina was anxious about something, so she asked me to park around the corner. And she got out and began walking to her house while I parked my car.

Once I finish parking, I begin walking down the sidewalk. It was a quiet...but beautiful night. As I'm walking, I hear a scream and I stop in my tracks. My heart begins to race out of my chest and I can feel my chest getting heavy.

"Nina...", I whisper.

I'm at a full-on sprint now, running down the sidewalk. I turn right and begin sprinting down her road. As I get closer, I see lights. Red and white lights.

Ambulance lights.