27. sad smiles

um so i just have to say. grab tissues. but, its a cute chapter.

Ambulance lights.

Ricky's pov

I quickly arrive in front of her house where a police car and ambulance are parked in her driveway. Nina's standing at the end of the sidewalk, her coffee up now lying on the ground. She's staring at the ambulance with her mouth wide open and her hand still lifted from when she was holding her coffee. She's frozen. Tears are falling from her face. She's turning pale. Her hands are trembling. Her chest was moving up and down rather quickly. 

"Nina...look at me.", I say, standing in front of her.

She's completely out of it and doesn't move a muscle.

"Neens, look at me. Take a deep breath.", I slowly speak, using my finger to guide her gaze to me.

"I-", she begins to speak, soon being interrupted by the sound of the front door opening.

Both of our head's whip to the right to see people walking out of her house, working together to carry something. As they begin to walk down the sidewalk and to the back of the ambulance, we both know what they're carrying.

Nina's mom was lying on a stretcher as four people lifted her into the back of the ambulance. I turn my head back to face Nina and her mouth opens even wider and her tears begin falling faster.

"MOM!", she screams, running to the back of the ambulance.

"Ma'am, we need you to back up please.", a lady asks.

"N-no! That's m-my mom! What happened- p-please...", Nina cries.

"We aren't sure right now. But, we're trying to get her to the hospital as soon as possible.", the lady says, getting in the ambulance and shutting the doors behind her.

"NO! NO please! I need to come! P-please no!", Nina sobs, standing behind the ambulance and desperately banging on the door.

I cautiously walk up to her, gently resting a hand on her arm.

"Neens, let them take her...", I softly speak.

"N-no...I-I can't...", she cries, sadly looking into my eyes.

I carefully pull her out of the way and the ambulance slowly backs up. I watch as Nina desperately looks at the ambulance as it straightens out on the road. She quickly shakes out of my grip and begins sprinting down the road after the ambulance.

"N-NO PLEASE! MOM!", she screams, eventually stopping her run and falling to the floor in the middle of the street.

I quickly run up to her and help her get up. Her sobs were loud. Painful. Heartbreaking. All of the above. And it broke my heart even more, watching and listening to her. I lead her onto the sidewalk and stop in front of her house.

"Nina, stay right here. I'm going to bring the car.", I tell her. She nods her head and I run down the street and around the corner. I quickly get into my car and start the engine, speeding down the road and stopping in front of the house. I get out and help her into the car. Her tears have only become worse. Throughout the entire ride to my house, I had to remind her to take some breaths. She was sobbing so hard she could barely breath.

I pull into my driveway and notice my parents are gone. That's good, because I'm bringing a sobbing girl into my house. I don't want her to feel more overwhelmed or anxious if they were to start asking her questions. I shut the engine off and get out, walking to the other side, and helping her out.