18. done

soft ricky alert- anyways enjoy besties :)

{Tuesday Afternoon}

Nina's pov

I park in an empty spot in front of the diner. This is the first time I've been at work since...that incident with Ricky. I'm surprised I still even have my job here. I take a deep breath and get out of my car, walking towards the door. As I enter, I see Makenna's head pop up and a big smile emerge from her face.

"Nina!", she exclaims, running from behind the counter and hugging me.

"Hey!", I chuckle.

"Omg, is everything okay? Where've you been?", she asks, as we both walk back around the counter.

I clock in as I begin explaining, "Well, that night you left me to close, Ricky came back, and we had a fight and all...then uh- m-my dad passed away...in a car crash"

Her face softens at my words, and she hugs me once more.

"I'm so sorry...are you doing okay? Do you need anything?", she asks.

I shake my head, "I'm okay thank you."

"You sure? You know I'm always here", she says.

I nod and smile, "Thanks, but I'm okay for now."

I walk into the back room and wrap my apron around myself before I walk back out into the diner. I pull my hair into a low ponytail as I grab some milkshakes from the counter and deliver them to the customers.

"So, how was the day here?", I ask.

"Real good! Been super busy and I think a lot of people are coming tonight.", Makenna replies as she finishes cleaning a booth, "How was your day?"

I shrug, "It was fine I guess...but some weird stuff is happening"

She furrows her brows, "Like what?"

"First, Ricky sat next to me in first period and something random came over me and I was being all...nice? I practically invited him to come here tonight. Then, my friends were talking with Ricky! And then, a random bouquet of white carnations were sitting on the hood of my car after school", I finish explaining.

Makenna's eyes widen, "Woah there girl...that's interesting? Aren't white carnations your favorite flower?"

I raise my brows and nod my head, "Yeah, which is why I don't know who they're from."

"Well, who knows your favorite flower?", she asks me.

"Uh- Kourtney, Los, and Seb..."

She shrugs, "Maybe they gave them to you?"

I sigh, "Maybe..."

Just then, I hear the door ring. I look up and meet eyes with a curly haired boy.

Ricky's pov

I walk into the diner and look up, meeting eyes with Nina before she quickly looks away. I take a deep breath and I go and sit by myself in a booth.

"Hey uh- you here for that free milkshake?", I hear a girl's voice, chuckling.

I look up and see Nina. I can't help but smile a little.

"Uh y-yeah I guess so, I'll have that for dessert. Could I get a burger and fries?", I speak.

She nods, "Sure thing."

As she walks away, I find myself staring at her as she talks to her friend. The way she's grinning so big about something they're talking about. It's contagious.