Your brother's insecure friend -Tendo

Growing up, it's always been you and Ushijima. But then, you guys got into Shiratorizawa. You always hid behind your brother, with reason. You don't talk. You use to get bullied, so you learned to stay silent. You were walking to class when it happened, you looked down at the floor accidentally bumping into someone. "Watch where you're going, you freak." You flinched a little, not moving to the person moved. "Wait, aren't you that girl that follows Ushijima around?" You looked up at the mention of your brother's name. When you guys were young, your father left, Ushijima got into Volleyball to try and make him happy, to make him come back. But... he never did. "Oh, so now she lifts her head."

"Are you a mute?" You never noticed another girl beside her, you shook your head at them. "Then say something, you freak." You shook your head again. "She is a freak." They pushed you into the lockers, wincing at the pain before focusing down on the ground.

"Hey, get away from her!" They both took off, you kept your gaze down. "Are you okay?" The stranger grabbed your shoulders, making you look at him as if he was checking injuries. You nodded your head looking at him. He has red spiked-up hair and red eyes. "Can you speak...?" He spoke gently, you nodded your head once more. "Uh... do you want me to walk you to class...?" You shook your head, indicating it was fine. You bowed a little as if saying thanks before taking off. When lunch rolled around you found the boy by your brother.

"Hey, Y/n." You smiled lightly at him and sat next to him. "This is Tendo. Tendo, this is my sister, Y/n." You nodded your head once. "She doesn't speak much, don't get too offended." Your brother told him, you froze once the girls from earlier came in. You gulped leaning into Tendo accidentally.

"Uh... Ushijima?" You didn't hear him, all you could focus on was the feeling of everyone looking at you.

"She... she's been through a lot, doesn't like stares." He explained the best he could.

"Oh... well, you can hide all you want." You nodded into his back, hoping the glances are off you. Once lunch was over, your brother and Tendo took you to class. And they continued to do so.

Until 3 weeks later. Tendo's still never heard you speak, he's kind of curious how it sounds. He got you to laugh once, but nothing farther than that. Your brother was in the gym and Tendo offered to walk you there. "Ah, if it isn't the monster and the freak." Monster? You looked at Tendo who took a deep breath.

"Better hope this monster don't bite." Oh... does he...?

"Oh, yeah, well we could just hit on the beautiful mute. Knock you out and do whatever we want with her. Not like she'd scream." You immediately hid behind Tendo, memories clouding your mind. You bit your lip so the tears wouldn't fall.

"What did you say?!" You tore your eyes to your brother down the hall, you focused on the ground again, seeing Tendo's hand balled up. "That's my sister you're talking about!" Your brother hovered over the guy. He looked at him in shock.

"I-I... I didn't know..."

"Doesn't. Matter." Your brother's voice was deadly. "Stay. Away. From. My. Sister." The boy immediately took off. "Y/n." You stepped out from behind Tendo, he sighed placing his hand on your shoulder. "You're okay. Thank you Tendo."

"I didn't do any-" You wrapped your arms around Tendo, you've never hugged him before, he felt his heart speed up as he hugged you back, this was your way of saying thank you. When you pulled away, you ruffled his hair smiling lightly.

"She's getting used to you." You looked at your brother and chuckled lightly. "Let's get to the gym." You followed your brother and Tendo, sitting in your normal spot, waiting for practice to be over.

"Hey, Y/n." you smiled to Semi, nodding your head a little. "How was your day?" You held up a thumbs up. "That's good." You pointed to him a bit, "How was my day?" You nodded. "It was good." You held up a thumbs up again, making him laugh. "We're gonna hit the showers then you and Ushijima can leave." You smiled lightly watching him leave, you played on your phone until the walked out. You looked up in time seeing Tendo dry his hair wearing his school uniform. Your eyes widen a little. When he and your brother walked over you stood up, looking at the creature. Did Tendo have a twin?

"Uh, why is she looking at me like-" You cut off his sentence again, grabbing his face, observing him closely. The team watched in shock, the boy blushed at how close your faces are. Then your eyes widen, it is Tendo.

"She's just realizing it's you." You nodded your head, letting go of Tendo's face laughing a little. Tendo smiled at this, this is the second time he got you to laugh. "Ready? Tendo's walking you home, I have to go meet mom." You nodded your head grabbing your bag.

"Let's go."

"Get home safe." You saluted your brother, you were glad he wasn't here walking with you two. Truthfully you developed a crush on Tendo, how could you not. Halfway home, you decided to ask the questions that were on your mind.

"Do you get bullied?" Tendo stopped, did she...? It was fluent like she talks every day. "Tendo?" He felt his heart rate slow down and his palms get sweaty. Her voice is so sweet and angelic.

"I... Yeah." He managed to answer.

"Sorry, I know I don't normally talk, and probably talking freaked you out, and I-"

"It's fine, I was just shocked." You sighed in relief before walking again.

"Why did he call you a monster?" Tendo froze again.

"I... It's just the way I look."

"But you look so cute!" You both froze, shit. That was supposed to be in your head. "I-I mean..."

"You're cute, too, Y/n-Chan." You sighed again and smiled.

"Thank you."

"Earlier, did you think my hair just automatically stands up?" You laughed a little.

"Well, kind of." He laughed at this. "It's not funny."

"Kind of is."

"Why do you spike your hair up? It looks cute down." His heart did flips.

"I... To fit the image of the monster." You frowned stopping this time grabbing his hand, he blushed as you brought your hand to your mouth, kissing his knuckles. Why are you being so bold today? Was it because Ushi wasn't with you two?

"I think... you're nothing like the image. You're so cute, and sweet. Funny, and weird, too." He smiled lightly at your words.

"Did you use to get bullied?"

"Yeah, Ushi knows." You sighed, keeping your hand in his as y'all walked. "It still gets to me..."

"Yeah, it gets to me too. I don't know why I got the nickname, Monster, but... I hate it. I hate that everyone is scared of me, won't talk to me, say hi." You frowned stopping for the final time, looking at your dorm then your brother's best friend.

"If it helps. I like you the way you are." Tendo looked at you in shock.

"It does." You smiled leaning up to kiss his cheek. "You should talk more." You smiled and nodded your head. And from that day you did. You laughed, interacted, Ushijima even thanked his best friend for getting you back to normal. He thought you how to stand up to your bullies, and that it's okay to feel insecure, as long as you know... he likes you the way you are too. And you found a new way to thank him, just a kiss on the lips.