Dance- Bokuto

If somebody would've told me two weeks ago that I would be getting ready for homecoming at this very minute, I would've laughed in their face. But since Bokuto and I have been inseparable our whole lives, we were going together. It was sort of late minute, which meant finding a dress was also last minute. Luckily I was able to find a simple, but elegant strapless black dress when I was dragged to the mall by my mom.

I'm really nervous about the whole thing. I sort of fell for my best friend. Or because I'm in charge of capturing the whole night on camera. Bokuto made me promise that I would at least dance with him once because he knows I'm going to be busy all night. I'm surprised he even asked me at all honestly. I was just planning on going in casual clothes to get the pictures. Instead, this night has turned into my first dance as well as my first photoshoot.

Suddenly I feel a burning sensation against my ear that pulls me back to reality. "Ow! Kenma, I have no problem going half a head curled, but I do however like my ear, now stop burning me!" I shout. He snorts and shakes his hair.

"Not my fault, I don't know what I'm doing." He retorted.

"True, I'll give you that." He quickly finished my hair as I looked in the mirror. "Wow, you did a great job, I almost look aesthetically pleasing," I teased.

"You look great and your welcome, now come on, our dates are waiting." Bokuto, Akaashi and his date, and Kuroo waited downstairs with my dad awkwardly.

I grab my camera and my strappy clutch purse with my phone and lipstick in it. I put the camera strap over m shoulder and held it. Okay, I think I'm ready. We rush down the stairs, my heels clicking against the hardwood. In the living room, my dad and Bokuto are laughing about something while Akaashi and his date are looking at his phone, and Kuroo was looking at us. "I'm ready," I announce, tugging on my dress, Bokuto gazes up at me and shoots up from the couch, holding a white corsage in a clear box.

"Whoa," Bokuto breathes, walking over to me. "You look beautiful."

"Kenma did the hair." I winked at the boy. "Who knew it would turn out looking good?" I giggled.

Bokuto shook his head, "You'd look just as beautiful with it regularly, if not more." He says simply as he slips the corsage on my wrist.

"Okay, kiddo, hand over the camera." My dad says.

I shook my head, "Dad, no."

Bokuto unclasps it from the strap and so smoothly takes it, handing it to my dad. "Alright, everybody line up and say cheese."

"You shouldn't have a problem with that." I tease Bokuto, poking fun at his talent to spew cheesy lines on the spot.

Once we're done taking a million photos, akaashi and his date take his car, while Bokuto and I ride with Kuroo and Kenma. We pull into the school's parking lot and head for the gymnasium. I've always hated the fact dances are held in the gym, but since Bokuto talked me into joining the decorating committee, we were actually able to make it look really good, and not smell like sweat and gym socks.

We walk into the Poseidon's Paradise-themed homecoming dance and almost everything is blue, silver, and sparkling. The walls are covered in ocean wave cutouts making everything appear to be underwater and the punch is even blue instead of red. I can't believe I've never been to one of these because if all the dances have been this greatly decorated then I was totally missing out.

I spent the first-hour taking pictures of everything, the decor, asking couples to pose for a picture and a few of the chaperones even hopped into the frame. Kenma helped for a bit until we took a break to get a cup of punch. before I headed off to take pictures, Bokuto made me promise to save him a slow dance so I should probably hydrate for that embarrassment; I can't dance.

Behind the punch table is Kuroo. "Hey, babe." Kenma smiled at his boyfriend walking around the table smiling up at the tallboy.

"Hi." Kuroo leaned down kissing him softly, I took that as my cue to walk away so they could have their moment. They're unbelievably adorable together.

Somebody came up behind me, slipping their arms around my waist, "I believe you owe me a dance," Bokuto whispers in my ear.

I smile, turning around in his embrace. "This is not a slow song," I inform him.

Bokuto shrugged, "Let's set our own pace," He said after.

I bring my arms up and wrapped them around his neck and we sway back and forth to the most upbeat song that could possibly be playing. "Bokuto," I start, not even knowing what it is that I want to tell him.

"Baby owl," he returns, knowing his words still guarantees him a smile from me. "Tell me what's on your mind, gorgeous."

"I've been thinking..."

"And?"

"And I like you," I confess.

Bokuto smiled, "I know."

"and I dig your cheesiness," I add.

"I know."

"And I want you to kiss me."

"I know."

I blush, great he has me right where he wants me; I'm putty in his hands for him to mold however he wants. This is not how I wanted it to be. I liked when I had the upper hand. Who says the guy has to kiss the girl anyway? There's always been this preconceived notion that a girl has to wait for a guy to make all the movies. Not tonight.

I step up on the tips of my toes to reach Bokuto's lips. I'm wearing heels and I'm still significantly shorter than him. His lips touch mine and for some reason, it feels like I'm having my very first kiss all over again, only this is the better version, the way it was supposed to be.

When we pulled away, Bokuto blinked, surprised by my self-assurance. "I'm an idiot for not just doing that sooner."

"So," Bokuto paused to clear his throat. "We both like each other," He says and I nod to confirm. "We're both single," he adds, waiting for my nod. "What do we do now?"

"I don't know, what do you suggest?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"If you buy me slushies," I joke, his chest vibrated knowing my addiction to slushies. "Only me though, you can't go buying every other girl slushies, mister. You are a taken man, now." The way Bokuto makes me feel is different from the way my ex made me feel.

Never in my whole high school career have I enjoyed actually being in high school to this extent. It was always about rushing to get out of here because college is going to be better and that's when life starts. High school isn't scary, people aren't scary and I'm not going to use that as an excuse. I opened myself up for one night and it led to all this. I was too busy waiting for things to happen, to change, instead of just changing them myself. I guess my point is that I don't think happiness searches to find you, you have to find it.

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of buying another girl slushies," Bokuto assures me, tightening his hold on me. "I'm settling on buying you slushies for the rest of our lives, Y/n. So get used to those brain freezes."

I bury my face into his chest, smiling so much it hurts, "I can't wait."