9

"Oh!" she exclaimed, caught by surprise. "Thank you," I said, pulling back. "You've helped me, not once, but twice now. You save my life and then you saved my heart. I will never be able to repay you." She patted my arm, and smiled. "Oh, but you've already paid me, Mr. Brock. You've also let me know that one of the most dangerous witches ever born, is still alive and being more evil than ever. You've given me a heads up. That is more precious than anything to me. I will be able to get with my coven and prepare for how to deal with her. So, I thank you, Colby. I wish you all well. Call me, if you have need of me. Welcome back home, Anna." She smiled at us all, and walked away without another word. We were silent until we heard the door close behind her. "Fuck, but that was scary as hell!" Sam exclaimed, wiping his hand across his sweaty brow, with his free hand. His other was wrapped around Kat's waist. She still looked a little spooked, but she was smiling. Not at me, not at Sam, but at Anna. My gaze followed hers, right back to those emerald orbs that were staring up at me. She was now in a sitting position on the couch. A small smile played on her lips, as she held her hand out to me. I took it in mine, and helped her stand, returning her smile. "What just happened?" she asked, wrapping her arms around my waist. She glanced around the room at Sam and Kat. "You don't know?" I asked. She shook her head. "No. It's all actually confusing. I remember some things, but then they're jumbled in with other things. I don't know what was real, and what wasn't." "Well, what do you remember?" Sam asked. "Maybe we can help." "Um, I remember talking to Holley. In the hotel room. We were eating, I think. Then I felt like I couldn't breath. Everything went dark, but I could hear a steady beeping noise. Like one of those machines in a hospital. I remember hearing you," she said, looking at me. "I left the darkness, only for a second, but I saw you. You were carrying me. Then it went dark again. I remember hearing  your voice sometimes. And you guys," she replied, motioning to Sam and Kat. "It's kind of blurry though. Colby, you were always talking to me, saying how I wasn't alone. And how you missed me. I don't really understand what happened though. Did Lilith take me back to the darkness again? I feel different this time." "Oh," I said in surprise. She didn't know that she was alive. Like, actually alive. Maybe Beth should've stayed to help us explain this. "Let's sit back down." She cocked her eyebrow at me, but sat anyway. I sat next to her, and took her hand in mine, holding it in my lap. "This might be confusing," I warned. She just rolled her eyes. "Seriously? My entire existence is confusing. I'm a ghost, who can become solid, but also walk through walls. Oh, and I'm attached to a freaking doll." That caught my attention and I frowned. "What is it?" she asked, worry creeping into her voice. "Oh no, nothing," I replied quickly. "I just haven't thought about the doll in a while. I don't even know where she is. I wonder if we still need her." "Why wouldn't we need her? Why haven't you kept up with her?!" Her voice started to get shrill. "That's the only thing that makes me able to stay with you, Colby! I would think that you'd be more careful! I have to find her." She started to stand, but I grabbed her arm and pulled her back down, laughing. "I don't think you need her anymore, Anna. Or Stacia. We'll test that later. How about I show you what happened while you were...asleep?" "Stop being an asshat, Colby. Just tell me what the hell is going on!" She was starting to get annoyed, and honestly, I loved it. I loved that she was right here in front of me, her cheeks getting pink, and her breath huffing out in annoyance. The way she started tapping her fingers on her knee was even joy to my eyes. Although she could do all of this when she was a ghost, it was still different. It was different because, well, she couldn't ghost me. She was here, and she wouldn't just disappear in front of my eyes again. All of that was over. "Just see if you can phase out," I insisted. "Why?" she asked, looking at me like I had lost my mind. "Just do it. Please. For me," I replied, biting my lip. I watched her eyes flick down to my mouth, then back to my eyes. "Fine. But after this, you're telling me what is going on." I nodded. "Deal." She sat back, pulled her hand from mine, and crossed her arms. Then just looked at all of us. "Well?" I asked. "Well what?" she asked, holding one hand out. "I did it. Now what?" Sam and Kat laughed quietly, causing Anna to throw them a quick death glare. "No, you didn't," I replied, feeling giddily happy. She rolled her eyes again. "Hello, McFly?! You can hear me, but you can't see me. I phased out. Now what?" I reached over and put my hand on her knee, and leaned closer to her face. "I'm staring you directly in your eyes and you can feel me touching your knee. You're still here, Anna." Her eyes grew wide, as they flicked between my own and down to my hand. "H-how? Is there something wrong with me?" She started chewing her bottom lip, and looked so worried that I felt bad. "No, no, you're fine! Totally fine. There is nothing wrong with you at all. You're just not a ghost anymore," I replied. "You're ok. You're better than okay. You've got your life back." She went silent, and I watched as her mouth sort of gaped open and closed, like a fish, for a few seconds. "I don't understand," she whispered, fear coating her voice. I put my hand on her chest, over her heart. "You are alive. You have a heartbeat." I reached down and pulled her hand up to where mine was, and held it there. "Do you feel that? That steady thump, thump? That's pure life flowing through your veins." She still looked so shocked, and confused. "But how? It's not possible! My body was never found, and even if it was, I would be mega old by now."