148 Anna's POV

"Why did you stop?" I asked Colby again. The black wolf wasn't running after us but who fucking cared?! "GO!" I yelled when he didn't answer me. "What are you DOING?!" He glanced at me and held his finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet. I huffed out a breath and looked back at the wolf. It was coming closer to us, but slowly. Like it had all the time in the world. "Why isn't it chasing us?" Kat whispered. "Because she knows that there isn't anything we can do," Colby responded, keeping his voice low. "She?" I asked, fear beginning to claw its way up my throat. The wolf's eyes shot to mine, like it heard me. I gasped when I realized that it wasn't just something that she had sent. No, it was her. The wolf was HER. Bile rose up in my throat, burning, making me gag on it. "Here," Sam said, and pushed a plastic bag into my hands. I retched over it for a moment, but nothing came up. I was grateful because we were stuck in a closed up car, and it was a plastic bag, for God's sake. Just gross. The momentary sickness took my mind off of our dire situation. That is, until I looked back up. The wolf was so much closer than before. Not even 10 feet from us now. "Colby, what are you doing?" I hissed under my breath. "Just wait," he replied, holding his hand up slightly. The wolf came closer still, with it's tongue lolling out of its mouth, the foam now dripping disgustingly from its jowls. It held my gaze and I felt like I couldn't look away. I was stuck, just like I had been stuck so many times in Her gaze. I hated it! I hated this feeling of control that she had over me. The wolf's lips seemed to curve up into a jagged smile, the closer it came. 5 feet away now. "How did she know where we were? Ash said she doesn't know about-" Sam whispered, so lowly that I almost didn't hear him. Colby held his hand up, stopping him from continuing and I knew why. She would be able to hear us. "My fault, I think," he whispered back. "I thought her name. That's gotta be what happened. Sorry guys...but I'm gonna get us out of this." How was he going to do that, I wondered. My eyes were still locked within the wolf's gaze, still unable to tear themselves away. "Anna, what are you doing?!" Colby hissed at me. "Huh?" The word popped out of my mouth, but I didn't look at him. I couldn't. "Get your fucking hand off the door handle NOW!" His voice grew hard and frantic. Door handle? I wasn't- Then my mind registered that I did indeed have my hand on the door handle, pulling it so that the door clicked open. "Fuck!" Colby exclaimed, just as I pushed it open further, without my body's consent. The car lurched forwards, slamming me back against my seat, at the same time the motion slammed my door. Since I was in the process of opening the door when he hit the gas, the force caused the door to push back against my hand. I felt pain sear through my fingers, down into my wrist. I let out one short yelp of pain, but the sickening bumps under the car grabbed my attention quickly. The wolf had been so close when Colby hit the gas, it didn't have time to jump out of the way. I heard the pained cry from the wolf, as the car hit it, and could almost swear that it sounded like a woman's scream. "SUCK ON THAT, BITCH!" Colby yelled, as he drove off the animal and sped down the dark dirt road towards Ash's place. He never let up on the gas, until we were dangerously close to our destination. He jerked the car to a stop, and I groaned from the pain that it caused in my injured wrist. "Hurry! Get out of the car and run to the house! Do NOT stop!" he cried out. I yanked on my door handle with my good hand and got out as quickly as I could. Colby reached out and grabbed my arm, almost dragging me along with him to the house. We didn't knock or wait for Ash to come to the door. Thankfully, it was unlocked, so we all just dove inside and Sam slammed it behind us, making the walls shake with the force of it. Everything was silent for a few moments, except our heavy breathing. My heart was pounding so hard against my chest, I didn't understand why the sound of it wasn't echoing throughout the house. "Is- is ev-everyone okay?" Sam asked, between the huge gulps of air he was sucking into his lungs. "Y-yeah," Katrina replied. She was leaning over with her hands on her thighs, trying to catch her depleted breath. "What the fuck were you doing?" Colby exclaimed, as he grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me to face him. "WHY would you open the car door?" There was fury in his features, from the clench of his jaw, to the steely look that was in his eyes. I had never seen him so angry, and for it to be directed at me...I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. "Anna, answer me! What were you thinking?!" he shook me, not hard, but definitely not gentle. "I- I don't know," I gasped out, then snatched out of his grasp. "Don't do that." He let his hands drop, but kept staring at me with that steely look. "I don't know," I repeated. "I just..it just happened." "It just happened...IT JUST HAPPENED?!" he yelled, bringing both of his hands to hair. I thought he was actually going to rip handfuls of it out, as I watched his fingers bunch in it. "HOW does that just HAPPEN?" I was painfully aware of Sam and Kat shuffling their feet, as they stood by silently watching. "DON'T YELL AT ME!" I screamed back at him. I couldn't take it anymore. I hadn't meant to open the damned door. I had no idea why it had happened, but I was sure that it had something to do with the Darkness. "Colby, brother, calm down," Sam finally said, putting his hand on Colby's shoulder. I watched as Colby's body physically relaxed as soon as Sam touched him. He took a deep breath, as regret filled his eyes. "I'm sorry," he said, reaching his hand out to me.