134 Anna's POV

The big almost full moon was right above us, shining so brightly that the clearing was lit up. "Just take a deep breath, let your body relax, limb by limb, then try again. You can do this," he said. I did as he said, then tried to open myself up to the spirits again. I spoke aloud the chant that Ash had taught me, even though he said that I didn't need too. It helped me concentrate. "Spirits, here I am. I am ready to connect with you. Might you be my guide to my humble practice.I am open to your messages. I am willing to embrace you now. Might you aid us in our hour of need, sparing your energy into my control. I welcome you in the name of love, light, spirit, and the need to vanquish evil. Might we become one." I always felt weird saying it, because it made me feel like I was playing pretend. This time, I pushed that feeling down and said the chant louder, lifting my arms up to the sky. I was expecting that floaty feeling that I got when a spirit would pass through me, but that wasn't what happened this time. Instead, it felt like ice slammed inside my veins, freezing them automatically. My muscles locked up and my stomach roiled. Images of someone else's life started flicking through my mind, with bright flashes of light that caused a searing pain in my head. My arms dropped and I started to feel dizzy. I fell to my knees, just as the visions left my brain. My stomach heaved, feeling like it was expelling everything that I had eaten that day. I could faintly hear my name being called, but there was no way that I could answer. Once the dry heaves stopped wracking my spent body, I collapsed onto the cold, damp ground of the forest, breathing heavily. "ANNA!" I could tell that it was Colby now. His voice was a lot closer and full of panic. I still didn't have the strength to answer him. "ASH, WHAT THE FUCK?!" he screamed, as he slid to a stop a few feet away from where my head was resting. "Ooohoh," I groaned, against the loud noise. I definitely had a migraine coming on. Strange, since I had never had one before. Actually, I hadn't felt pain like this, since I had been with the Darkness. "Anna, baby, are you okay? What happened?" His face was next to mine suddenly, his voice low and concerned. "She fought against the spirits. Hard, apparently," Ash replied. He almost sounded proud. "She actually forced poor Barbie here out. I don't think I've ever even heard of that happening before. I know I couldn't do it in my first year, much less my first day. Impressive." I didn't feel too proud of myself at the moment. I was face down against the forest floor, with my stomach still giving an occasional roil. "Anna?" Colby cooed again. His blue eyes were boring into mine with such worry, that I had to get the strength to answer him. "Mm okay," I breathed out. Relief flooded his beautiful features. I struggled to get up, but could only manage to get to my hands and knees. "Do you need some help?" he asked, quietly. I barely nodded my head, for fear of the dull throb becoming more intense. "How about I just help you get turned around so that you can sit? I don't think you should try standing just yet," he replied. "Kay," I whimpered. He helped me maneuver my legs and butt so that I could sit normally. I brought my knees up and propped my arms on them, before bringing my head down too. My stomach felt like it might start dry heaving again. I didn't think there was anything I hated more in the world, besides the Darkness, than the feeling of throwing up. "Come on, Anna," Ash said. "Get yourself together so that we can keep practicing." "What?!" Colby exclaimed, almost angrily. "Ash, you need to chill, bro! Can't you see she's sick? Give her a damn minute!" "I'm giving her a minute, Colby," Ash replied, calmly. "I can even give her five, but we need to get back to it. We have less than 24 hours to be ready to face the most evil THING that any of us have ever encountered. And I've encountered some pretty malicious spirits, but nothing like the Darkness. We don't have time to baby each other. Our lives depend on getting this right." Colby glanced at my washed out face then back to Ash. His own face hardened and he clenched his jaw. I knew he was about to lay into Ash, so I gathered my strength and spoke up. "I'm okay," I replied, still quiet but louder than before. "I just need another minute, then I want to try again." Colby unclenched his jaw and looked down at me again. "Are you sure? You don't have too. You don't have to start again until YOU feel like it. The rest of the world be damned," he demanded. While his words were soft, his features were still hard and angry. The demanding look in his eyes sent a chill down my spine, but not in a bad way. "I'm sure," I replied, breaking our gaze. I didn't want him, or anyone, to see that I was not exactly concentrating on being sick or the upcoming war. No, at that moment, all I could think about was how gentle he was with me in bed. And how I was wanting to find out how it was when he wasn't so gentle. I shook the thoughts from my head and looked back up at him. "I feel better already," I responded, smiling at him. He narrowed his eyes at me and gave me a once over. "The color is coming back to your cheeks...but are you sure?" I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes, Mom, I'm sure." He cracked a small lopsided grin, that quickly disappeared. "Okay, let me help you up." He held out his hand and I took it, letting him pull me to my feet. Once he let me go, I wobbled just a little, from the weak feeling that I still had, but I regained my balance pretty quickly. At least I didn't fall. Its the little things. "I still don't like this. You're still weak. How's your stomach?" he asked, holding his hands at the ready to catch me, if he needed too. "Colby, I'm fine. I promise. If it happens again, then I'll take a longer break. I promise."