160

"STOP, YOU BITCH!" I definitely heard that. It had been Sam. My pain receded and all I could think was 'Oh God, not Sam.' "Sam, no," I whimpered, as I tried to push myself back to my feet. Before I could, I heard a slight whistling sound, then felt the force of something knock me back to the ground. When I looked up, Anna was climbing back to her feet and holding her hand out to Lilith, who had dropped to her knees. I saw Ash and the witches preparing to send over more shots, so I scrambled back as fast as I could. Lilith turned towards them, then I felt hands pulling me away faster. "I gotcha, come on," Sam grunted, as he helped me to my feet. He half dragged, half carried me quickly back into the shaded area of the forest. We were hidden, for now. "No," I said, struggling against him. "I have to help her!" "Colby, stop!" Katrina hissed at me. I hadn't even known she was there, so the surprise shut me up. "We're going to help her," she exclaimed, but I saw the look that Sam threw at her. "We're going to try," she changed it. "But we need to make sure that you're okay first, and get you out of the way. Ash and the witches won't wait. You know that. Anna should be okay, since Lilith needs her right now, but you won't be." That made no sense and we all knew it. If Ash and the witches held enough power to hurt Lilith, then they could kill Anna. Lilith didn't care if Anna lived or died now. She knew that Anna was too strong for her to keep control of anymore. She was only using her now as a means to an end, and to hurt me as much as possible. "This is my fault. I should never have agreed to trick her," I said, running a shaky hand through my hair. "I should've never kissed her. She's using Anna to get back at me. I have to help her. I love her." I met Kat's eyes first, then Sam's, begging them to understand. "Please. Help me." Sam put his hand on my shoulder and held my gaze. "Brother, I swear we will do our best to get her out of here, alive and well, but we have to think critically right now. What's our next step? We just shot everything we had at her and it only knocked her off of her feet for a few minutes." "We keep fighting," I replied, turning my eyes back towards the battle. Anna was using souls to blast at the witches. They kept blocking them, over and over again, but I knew that wouldn't stop her for long. Lilith stood by her, with a disturbing grin, watching everything go down. She hadn't even used her power on them. She was just letting Anna do all of the work. I didn't know if I should be happy about that or not. "NO!" I yelled, reaching my hand out towards Anna, when I saw her blasted off of her feet. Sam and Katrina pulled me back, away from the forest opening. "Damn it, let me go!" I said, struggling against them again. "We can't just leave her out there to get killed!" "Colby!" Sam yelled, right in my face. "We have to have a plan. We can't go out there, without knowing what we're going to do!" "We're going to fight!" I exclaimed, balling my fists up. "We're going to fight and we're going to hurt her as much as we possibly can." I whirled away from them quickly, and ducked out of their reach. "I'm going back. Stay or not, but I'm going." I ran back to the edge of the forest and stopped so that I could where I needed to be. Lilith had finally added her power to Anna's and the two were advancing on Ash and the witches. I could see something shimmering around Lilith and Anna as they walked closer to their adversaries. Like a bubble surrounded them. It seemed like everything that they shot towards the two, literally bounced off of them. Lilith laughed as Ash shot an extremely bright ball of light at her. I vaguely wondered what was happening to the spirits that made up those balls. Ash had said that Sam and I were the way to beat the witch. Our friendship...but how were we supposed to use that against her? He hadn't explained that part. I made my decision and ran towards Anna. If I could just talk to her, maybe I could help her come back to me. Most of the witches lay on the ground by now, and the ones still standing were breathing heavily, with red faces. Even I could tell that they were running on empty. This wasn't good. We were going to lose. Neither Lilith or Anna seemed to notice my advancements. When I reached Anna, I didn't even think about the shiny bubble that was surrounding them, or what it might do to me, if I tried to enter it. My hand passed through the bubble with ease. I grabbed Anna's arm, just as Lilith turned towards me, her face full of rage. I yanked, pulling Anna with me, out of the protection of the bubble. She stumbled and fell into my arms. "Stop," she said, trying to pull away from me. "I have to stay with my Queen. I have to help her defeat the bad people." "Anna!" I exclaimed, grabbing her upper arms and forcing her to look at me. I searched her eyes, praying to find that little piece of her that was still there. I couldn't see her at all. It was like her soul was completely gone, replaced by some robot devoted to Lilith. "No," I whispered, shaking her a little. "You promised that you would fight to come back to me. YOU PROMISED!" I yelled. This got Lilith's attention and her head whipped around to see me. She let out one of the most spine chilling laughs that I had ever heard before. It was sadistic, filled with hate, and utterly insane. My body wanted to seize up in fear, but I managed to ignore her and keep my eyes locked on Anna's. I knew that I probably about to die, but if I managed to get Anna back, then it didn't matter. "This is futile, you insolent fool," Lilith said. Her voice sounded as hard as steel and as dark as the devil, himself. "She belongs to me now, and now matter what you do, you will never see her again." I ignored her again and kept my grip on Anna.