112

"Okay." I walked to my bathroom and set about making my hair looked stylishly mussed. When I was finished, I used my fingers to flatten the little piece that was giving me a problem. I walked back into my room and found Anna slipping her feet into a pair of black heels. I admired the way they set off the curves of her legs. The dress hung about halfway down her thighs and clung to her body. The bodice had a small set of small, dark green jewels lining the waist. Unlike Kat's dress, the neckline didn't dip into a deep V. Instead, it was squared off, with a soft, sheer, see through material that left her cleavage revealed, but also hidden. My eyes took a minute to linger there. I also noticed that her breasts were lifted, pushing themselves out of the top of the dress. "So, how do I look?" she asked, softly, grabbing my attention. I looked away from her chest and met her gaze. "Uh," I croaked, then cleared my throat. "You look beautiful. More than beautiful." She smiled softly, and looked down. "I wasn't sure that I would like it, because it's kind of revealing but I do," she said, then looked back up to meet my gaze. I nodded. "Yeah, I'm rather fond of it, myself," I replied, then let my eyes move down her body, then back up, until I met her gaze again. There was that blush that I was looking for. I reached out and took her hand, then pulled her to me. "Actually, I think that Kat's not gonna see this dress again. It looks too good on you, to give it back," I said, lowering my voice, as I looked into her eyes. She rolled her eyes and draped her arms around my neck. "You say that about everything I wear." I grinned, then pressed my lips to hers. "And I mean it, every single time," I replied, when I pulled back. She bit her lip and looked up at me through her lashes. Damn it...we had to go. She was making it hard to leave though. A knock sounded on my door, followed by Sam's loud bellow. "COLBY, WE NEED TO GO!" I looked at the door, confused by the sound of urgency that was in his voice. I stepped towards the door, but he slung it open before I made it to it. "We need to go NOW!" he cried. His eyes were bouncing around the room, nervously. Katrina had her hand over her mouth and her eyes were red. I didn't ask questions. Instead, I turned around and reached for Anna's hand. When she took it, we all sped down the hallway, towards the front door. Sam twisted the knob, but it looked like he was having a problem. A cold chill blew through the room, raising the hairs on the back of my neck. I looked behind me to see if someone was there, but I saw nothing. "Saaaam," Katrina whined, shaking her hand impatiently. "It won't open!" Sam exclaimed. I stepped around him so that I could what was going on. He was twisting the knob, over and over again, but the door wouldn't budge. "Did you check the deadbolts?" I asked, reaching over to flip the little latch. Still nothing happened. I heard a maniacal laugh, behind me, somewhere deep inside the house, and froze. I knew that laugh. "We gotta get out of here NOW!" I exclaimed. I looked around quickly, to see if there was anything that I could use. I spotted an ugly little elephant statue that had been left here by Corey or Jake. Maybe someone else. I really didn't know. I grabbed it tightly and stepped up to the window. The chilly wind in the room got colder and stronger, blowing my hair around my eyes, as the laughter got closer. "No, no, no, no, no," Anna cried, sinking to the floor. "Don't do that!" I yelled, while I held the statue up over my head. "Don't give in!" She looked up and met my gaze. Her own looked defeated. She was terrified of the Darkness, and I couldn't really blame her. Enough was enough. I brought the statue down hard against the glass, feeling it give way beneath the force. The glass shattered, then tinkled to the floor. "Hurry up, Colby!" Sam yelled, looking behind us. I kept my face and attention averted. If I saw whatever it was, I might freeze. I busted out the rest of long window, quickly, then held my hand behind me, without looking. I felt Anna's palm slide into mine. I pulled her in front of me, and ushered her out the window. "Get to the car!" I yelled, then turned back for Katrina. She took my hand and I did the same with her. I looked back at Sam and saw a billowing black cloud building behind him. It wove in and out of the air, like disgusting tentacles dancing in the wind. "GO!" I yelled over the noise of the wind. It just kept getting louder! He shook his head. "NO! YOU FIRST!" he yelled back. "SAM, DAMN IT, GO! WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!" I cried, stepping away from the window to let him by. Again, he shook his head, as the dark cloud moved closer. The maniacal laugher melted into the shrill whirring of the wind, piercing my eardrums. "FUCKING GO, YOU STUBBORN BASTARD!" I yelled, reaching for him. He grabbed my arm and shoved, pushing me through the glass. I landed on my hands and knees, scraping them thoroughly. I could feel the gravel shoving into my skin. Sam was right behind me, ducking out of the window. He held his hand out to me, then pulled me up quickly, when I took it. I was pissed at him for what he did, but now wasn't the time. We raced to the car and jumped inside with the girls. I cranked it up, then slammed it into reverse. "Holy Shit!" Sam whispered, staring at the house. Then, there it was. The same thing that we had seen when we left that dreaded house all those months ago. The dark shadow that felt like it was made of death, itself. It was her and I knew it. I could feel her there. "I feel sick," Anna whimpered. I looked back at her, in the backseat. She was staring at the house, fear evident in every pore. "COLBYY, GO!" Sam cried, as I yanked my attention back to the house. The shadow was moving towards us, fast, hovering above the ground.