161

"Anna, please baby, please come back to me. Fight her. I know you can. You're so much more powerful than her. You just have to believe it." Again, the sadistic laughter raked over my skin. "You're more stupid than I thought. Of course, most people with pretty faces are. That's all it takes in this world. No matter the year or the innovative advancements. Pretty faces will always have the upper hand. It's why I chose this one, you know. Of course, it is my face, but I enhanced it to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the world. Especially to men. Stupid men. You're just like them. Did you really think just because you kissed me, that I would be easy to beat?" I tried to so hard to ignore her, but it was getting unbearable. Anna's eyes held no spark of who she had been, so the anger inside of me was growing. I needed her back, even if I had to MAKE the bitch send her back to me. My eyes flicked to hers, then behind her, to Ash and the others. They were taking the moment to treat their injured, but I saw that a few wouldn't be getting back up ever. She had killed them. I was sure she planned on doing that to all of us, in the end. So, I looked back over to her and met her gaze. "Easy to beat? No," I replied, putting on my own sadistic grin. "But, it showed that you're just as pathetic, as you think humans are. The truth is that you hate humans, but you are one. Or you were. There's still that bit of human soul left inside of you and you can't stand it, so you take your anger out on everyone else, trying to refuse the truth." The more words spilled out of my mouth, the redder her face got. I knew it was coming, and soon, but until it did, I was going to have my say. "Shut your mouth, BOY, if you know what's good for you," she spit out, in between her gritted teeth. "Boy?" I repeated, then laughed. "You didn't think I was such a boy when you had your tongue in my mouth. By the way, do you have any mouthwash? No? Think you could conjure some up or something? I've just got this horrible taste in my mouth that doesn't want to go away. Annoying, really." I had no idea why I was antagonizing her, beyond the point of me being angry about Anna. It was like I had diarrhea of the mouth and there was really no stopping me now. I saw her getting more and more angry, and it just egged me on. "Why, you little-," she muttered, glaring at me. Her eyes seemed to be turning as red as her face. I felt a little streak of fear go up my spine, but I brushed it off and held her gaze. "Colby, what are you doing?" I jumped a little when Sam's voice sounded quietly beside me. "Where the fuck did you come from?" I exclaimed quietly, glancing at him. "Leave. Now. Get Katrina and go." I needed them to be safe. I was now 100% certain that we weren't going to win this fight. I had no clue what 'using our friendship' meant and it was too late to find out. Half the witches were dead, Ash looked like he was on his last leg, Sam and Kat were just as clueless as I was, and Anna was gone. Which meant all hope was gone. Lilith would eventually come after the world, unless somebody, somewhere else, could beat her. I needed Sam and Kat to be somewhere safe, just in case that someone managed to do it. Otherwise, all of this would have been for nothing. Maybe it was for nothing anyway. Who knew? In the end, I didn't guess I would care because I would be dead soon. I just wanted to know that Sam and Kat had a little more time, at least. They shouldn't even be here. This was my mess. "Fuck you," Sam growled out, as he took Kat's hand. "Oh, your little friends finally decided to come and play? Goody," Lilith said, as she rubbed her hands together. "You don't care about them," I replied, keeping that snarky grin on my face. "Maybe you did, but not anymore. Now, you're just after me. So, come and get me." She looked at them, then back to me and shrugged. "You're right. I don't care about them...but I will kill them. Everyone here is already dead, including your beloved Anna. When I'm finished with her, she'll be just another soul that I use for my own good. Only this time, I won't keep her soul alive. No, I'll let her fade out, just like the other useless ones that I've had. She went and became your whore, rendering her useless to me." The grin on my face faltered, as Anna pulled away from me. I had been so caught up in pissing off Lilith, that I hadn't even noticed that she had stopped struggling and was just standing there with my hands on her. I watched her take the few steps back to Lilith's side and my heart sank. I wasn't going to be able to make her come back. This was exactly what she had feared. Maybe I should've agreed to...kill her. No, it didn't matter, because I wouldn't have been able to do it. Thinking it was even too hard. I glanced at Sam and saw him next to me, holding Kat's hand with her just behind him. She looked terrified, but her face was set in a steely defiance. Sam just looked pissed. "I think that I'll save you for last though, Colby," Lilith said, getting my attention again. "I'll make you watch as I take all of these people from you, especially the ones you hold dear to your heart." Before I could react, she rounded on Ash and the others, sending something so strong at them, that they all lifted into the air, then slammed into the trees around us. I heard a few different sickening crunches, as they all fell back to the ground. Some of them didn't move, but I did see Ash struggling to his knees. I breathed a sigh of relief. I didn't want any of them to die, but Ash had become a sort of friend in all of this mess. "Even if you win today, someone will stop you one day. Then you'll turn back into the hag that you are, wrinkly and disgusting before your body decays and you go straight to Hell," I snarled. I saw her eyes turn red with anger, then flit to Sam. I took a half step in front of him on instinct. I shouldn't have done that. Lilith's eyes lifted with a smile, as she met my gaze again.