Chapter 72

The walk back to the dorms was silent. The awkwardness between the five felt suffocating as the continued their trip back from the school building. Only the knowledge that when they arrive, more explanations will actually have to be given was distressing enough for all of them. Now that Uraraka was back, Mr Aizawa said that they should at least inform the rest of the class. After all, sooner or later she will recover and return among them. And the others would notice that she wasn't just with her parents all that time.

After getting dismissed from the meeting, Izuku had insisted to go and visit the girl. The others needn't to be told twice as they rushed to Recovery Girl's office. Only to learn to their misfortune that Uraraka was asleep and she wasn't allowed visitors at that time. Izuku felt disappointed at that, but after a bit of persuasion from the students, they were allowed to at least see her. That was meant to be more for calming down the other four boys that haven't seen her than anything else.

Sadly, though, that didn't work out as expected. Because from the first things that they noticed was the missing wrist and a ton of bandages wrapped around her body. The full explanation of what happened while in the villains hide out followed soon after, getting increasingly difficult for the young boy to talk about this the closer he got to Toga cutting off Uraraka's hand. Recovery Girl had to actually stop him after a while and ask them to leave since it was getting late. But the others were now informed of his sinful actions.

Izuku stopped moving, the light of a nearby street lamp slightly lightening him up. He had been trying for a while now to gather the courage he needed to talk with his friends about the whole situation. It was actually kind of funny, how stressed he was about just talking with his friends. Under other circumstances, he was sure he would have laughed at that.

He knew he owed them an explanation as to why he never revealed himself to them. Seeing Iida just beating himself over something like that and thinking that he was just ignorant of their feelings had really opened his eyes as to how much harm he had caused. He raised his head and saw how none of the four had taken notice of him stopping. He sighed sadly but soon put a determined expression over his anxious one. "Guys". He didn't call for them particularly loud, but in the silence of the night surrounding them, it was enough for all of them to stop in their tracks and turn around.

It had been a while since carefew had started. Normally, they wouldn't be allowed out that late, but they were given special permission by Aizawa seeing as the meeting had ended kind of late. There weren't people walking around them to listen, something they were secretly grateful for.

All four of them looked at Izuku expecting the boy to say something. That did nothing really to ease his nerves. This time, not even Shinso seemed to be on his side, probably still kind of upset by the revelation of him killing someone. He doubted that any of them were angry at him for that. More like taken aback by that kind of behavior he had showcased. After all it was pretty of dissimilar to the usual way he acted.

"I promised that I would explain everything to you. Why I didn't reveal myself to any of you but a select few". He eyed Shinso at the last statement but the boy didn't react, either because he didn't notice or because he didn't find a reason to. He received some nods from the other three, showing their understanding of the situation.

"I'm not a bad person. Neither am I heartless. I know first hand how much it hurt all of you to not have me with you. I spent days and nights just watching you cry your hearts out. And every time, I would blame myself for it. Because I knew I was the reason you were hurting. But, things weren't as easy at they may seemed for me either".

He took a moment to recollect himself as he let everything sink in. "The first thing I remember after dying, is waking up somewhere in the middle of the woods. I was confused, I didn't know how I ended up there. I went to the school hoping to find someone there who could tell me what happened and.....", he chuckled slightly. "My hand passed right through the door knob. I got scared and started screaming and running. I ended up in front of my grave and then I found out the truth. I was dead! I watched my mother cry and then leave, far away so I would never get the chance to see her ever again. I saw all of you too but whenever I tried to reach out, no one would hear me. Then, you all left and I was left alone here for two weeks, trying to figure out this quirk!".