Chapter 84

Mei prided herself for her love of support equipment. There was always something that fascinated her when it came to the creation of complex devices that fitted the needs of an individual. Getting accepted into UA's support course was the perfect opportunity for her to finally release that excitement of hers.

It was really of no surprise that she soon became the student of choice for the first years. Showcasing her beloved babies at the Sports Festival sure made wonders for her reputation, especially inside the school. Teaming up with 1-A students sure was the best choice she ever made.

Learning of the death of her best costumer was a shock for her. She wouldn't deny that she would miss repairing his equipment and pulling through his unusual requests. But Mr Power Loader had explained to her that this is something she should come to expect when working in the field of heroics. So, she doesn't bother complaining. Starting to put extra attention to the durability and strength of her creations has nothing to do with the student's death.

Lately, though, all the support course had been kept incredibly busy. Updating UA's security system is a project she never imagined would be given upon them to take care of. And yet, this is a huge workload for a single man to handle, so she understands her teachers decision. Even if it giver her no time to actually take care of the piling requests for updates.

It was out of chance she heard about the rumor. Everyone was meant to stay at their dorms, though the support course was allowed to regularly visit the school ground for maintaining the security system. She had been willing to spend the whole day there, "so that the other students can rest", she had said. Though truly, she just wanted to spend some time alone in the designing area. Maybe take care of one or two requests that she had yet to finish.

A third year was talking of how he had heard the teachers talking about a renowned inventor coming in the school's perimeter. It wasn't anything that support students weren't used to, so she really didn't pay attention. Soon, however, the rumor spread and curiosity got the best of her.

Early in the next morning, she found herself inside the workshop once again, her eyes frantically darting at the door at every little sound. And, it was once again pure luck that her teacher had decided to visit. Nothing out of the ordinary once again though. Checking into the systems himself is a daily chore of his.

He certainly was expecting to find her there. The look of recognition he gave her told her everything. She waved at him and he sighed. Though paying attention at him at the moment was irrelevant. She found the blueprints in front of her far more interesting. "School starts again tomorrow", he said blantly at her. She hummed. She was already informed of the fact.

Power Loader shook his head. "We will start a new project then. You should better go and rest for the day. I have already told the others that there is no need to come for maintenance today". She shook her her, her scribbling growing a bit more aggressive. "I'm fine. I don't need a break. Though, what is the project about?".

"A bionic hand for a hero student. The got themselves into a strange situation and it got cut off". "Was it really an accident or did someone cut it?". Silence soon followed her statement, surprise evident in the heroes features that were visible under his strange 'mask'. Mei didn't give him time to firm an answer. "It doesn't sound like a huge project. Why bother involving everyone with it?".

He sighed once again, actually kind of thankful for her quick change of subject. "They had a touch based quirk. We have to apply the affect to work through the hand". Her hand stopped moving and she gently set her pencil down. She stretched, audible cracks coming from her joints. "Mimicking the affect of Quirks is a hardly explored field. Many biological factors have to be applied before all conditions are met. The creation of something like this would usually require months of study and even then the result would most likely be a failure. Why entrust bioengineering to the support students with minimal experience on the field?".