Day 1

I let out a small sigh in defeat, for the crease in my white shirt would not disappear no matter how hard I tried to make it do so. If only there was a spell for achieving perfection in clothing. And hair! For no amount of hairspray would tame my curls, so I had opted for a black bow to match my uniform. At least, that way, I would be ready for flying lessons.

It was early, and all the other girls in my Dormitory were asleep. Maybe it would be nice to take a little wander around the castle before lessons began. Grabbing my backpack and shoes, I snuck out quietly.

The Great Hall was practically empty besides, perhaps, three other first years who had the same idea as myself to start the day early. I took a seat on the Slytherin table, as close to the front of the hall as I could, and began to grab myself some cinnamon porridge for breakfast with a cup of tea.

"Looking forward to your first day, Miss Potter?" I recognized the monotonous voice immediately, unable to control my smile as I turned to face the familiar figure. "Good morning Professor Snape. And yes, I am thank you." 

He nodded, happy with my response before making his way over to the staff table and beginning to pick at the breakfast items. The hall started to fill up at around 8am, and a presence appeared beside me, instantly making me get up to leave. "Em?" I furrowed my eyebrows at the voice, turning to face my brother. What was he doing on the Slytherin table?

"Harry?" I sat back down.

He smiled, taking something from his cloak pocket and handing it to me. It was a photograph of a man and a woman dancing together by a fountain in the winter months. They looked so happy and in love, it made my heart want to melt. And I knew in an instant who they both were. Harry pointed to each of them, "That's dad - and that's mum." 

I let out a hitched chuckle as my eyes began to sting. "She was beautiful." I gasped, barely above a whisper. He nodded, "You look exactly like her." He smiled, before embracing me in another hug, which I accepted gladly from him. 

Even more Slytherin students began to appear, having had a slightly lazier morning than the rest of the school, and I knew it was time for Harry to go back to his table.

"You better go." I sighed, to which he nodded in agreement, leaving the photograph on the table. "You keep it."

I smiled once more, placing it into my pocket and forcing my tears away. Glancing up towards the Professor's table, I found Snape watching me. Had he been watching the entire time? I shrugged the thought away, grabbing my things and leaving The Great Hall before anybody else could speak to me.

It would take me fifteen minutes to find the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, with a Professor Lockhart - whoever he was!

The first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson was a bore, to say the least. We did not learn about any defensive spells. Professor Lockhart spent most of the lesson talking about himself whilst we read through books about 'Dark Creatures' such as werewolves and vampires. The books themselves were interesting; Teacher - not so much.

Next was Charms, with Professor Flitwick. We learnt a few simple charms, that I had previously taught myself on the Train Ride to Hogwarts. Flitwick was extremely impressed with my demonstrations, therefore I didn't think it would be wise to tell him I had been practising in advance. A friend, however, was of short supply. Most of the Slytherin First Years had already found their cliques, and there was no chance I could be friends with somebody from another house.

After charms, Flying lessons. Finally! Something I had been looking forward to....

***

"Good morning, class! Welcome to your first flying lesson!" Madam Hooch introduced herself to the group, as we made our way over to our individual brooms.

"Now, first thing we need to do is gain control over our broom. I want you to place your right hand over the broom and say 'up'!" She instructed.

I placed my hand over the broom and without even muttering the incantation, it flew into my hand. I gasped, shocked by it's quick movement and took a step back. The pupils that had seen looked shocked, along with the Professor, herself.

Luckily, not everybody had seen, and the rest of the class struggled to get the brooms to listen to their commands. A few managed to get it first time, and I found myself waiting impatiently for everyone else to catch up.

"Now, I want you all to mount your broom, push firmly off the ground, hover in the air for a few moments then come back down." The professor blew her whistle for us to start, as I mounted my broom and pushed off lightly, the broom levitated from the floor a few feet. My eyes widened once more, and I hovered in the air for a few moments, before coming back down carefully.

"Well done, Miss Potter. 10 points to Slytherin." She cheered, causing a few other students in my team to join her in celebration. Finally, some acceptance. Trying not to smile myself, at the thought of gaining house points on my first day, I averted my gaze to the ground and the lesson resumed...

Lunch was, as expected, similar to the feast we had the night before. However, Professor Snape was missing from the staff table, no doubt, spending his lunch in his classroom. So I grabbed a few sandwiches from the table, stuffed them into my backpack, and made my way to the Dungeons. Maybe, he would like a friend to spend his lunch with. The only thing he could do was to turn me away...