Catching Up...

"Potter!" I glanced up from the book I had been reading in the Slytherin common room by the fireplace, my eyes meeting Marcus Flint's. I smiled, "Marcus. Everything alright?" 

The head of the Quidditch team nodded, "Snape asked to see you in his office." I nodded at his instruction, changing out of my uniform quickly and making my way to the other side of the Dungeons, where Professor Snape's classroom was situated.

To my surprise, the door was open, allowing me to step inside. "Professor?" I called out, the small light from a single candle by his desk illuminating the entire classroom. Low and discreet voices sounded from, what I believed to be, one of the classroom cupboards. I made my way across the room, twisting the knob and opening the door, a small crack of light beaming through from inside. When I expected to find a cupboard, however, what I actually discovered was very different; A room...With two figures inside, bickering amongst one another.

I hated eavesdropping, but I couldn't help myself as I watched a Professor Snape hand the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher a concoction, of some sort. "That should see you through until the next one." The Potions Master spat distastefully. Lupin forced a smile, taking the small vial in his hand. "Thank you, Severus. Truly, I appreciate it."

Snape tusked at his remark sarcastically, "I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for-" He cut himself short, glancing towards the door in the room that I had been peering through. I took a step back, knowing he could not see me if I hid in the shadows. After a moment, he averted his gaze back to the floor in his room.

"-Miss Potter." Oh god! Oh no! They had discovered I was listening in on their conversation. Merlin knows, how many house points I'll lose for Slytherin now!

"If only the situation could have been different." I held my breath at the next words that escaped Professor Lupin's lips. Snape hummed in agreement, "Yes-well, it isn't." The man's words were venomous and hateful. But they were not towards Professor Lupin...

They had not discovered my presence outside the room. Instead, they were talking about me. What was Snape helping Lupin with? And what did it have to do with me?

"Indeed. Well, goodnight, Professor." I gasped at Lupin's farewell, running across the classroom as fast as my legs could carry me before either of them could discover my eavesdropping on their conversation. Fortunately, I made it to just outside the classroom door in time, leaning against the wall as I fought to calm my panicked breaths. 

After a few moments, Lupin stepped outside, his eyes meeting my own confusedly. "Ah, Miss Potter. Is everything alright?" I nodded, my breathing having calmed a little in that moment. "Yes, Professor Lupin. Um-Professor Snape asked to see me?" Lupin nodded in realization, opening the door for me.

"Of course-well, goodnight." He stammered, a little nervously, as I watched him place the vial filled with a blue, smoky liquid into his blazer pocket. "Goodnight." I returned, making my way inside the classroom. Lupin closed the door shortly after me, leaving only myself and Snape in the room. 

Severus smiled, his eyes meeting my own. "Are you alright? Professor Lupin informed me of the Dementor attack on the train." He took a step closer towards me, causing me to nod, taking a step back in retaliation. He came to a halt, confusion and concern overwhelming him. 

"I'm fine. A little shaken up but I'll be alright. Flint told me you wanted to see me about something?" I diverted the subject as quickly as I could. He looked a little taken aback by my briskness, taking a breath to say something but hesitating. I would love to know what is going on inside his head.

Finally, he decided to speak, "Indeed. Due to the new threat Sirius Black poses upon yourself, I believe it would be in your best interest to focus your studies on Defence Against the Dark Arts, this year. Professor Dumbledore has given me permission, as your head of house, to tutor you in this instance. I will teach you how to defend yourself and attack your opponent. Your lessons will start every Saturday after Quidditch practise."

I found myself a little taken aback by Snape's announcement, unable to speak for a few moments. He was right. I did not know how to defence myself (and Harry) from any possible threat. "Will Harry have the same lessons?" I questioned, which caused him to shrug nonchalantly. "That's not my problem, I'm afraid. That power lies with Professor McGonagall." 

I sighed, nodding towards the floor. "Well, I suppose I will have to have a word with Professor McGonagall, then." I pouted, hoping he would offer himself up to do the task. He did not, however, to my dismay. "Is that everything?" I raised my eyebrows, my eyes finding his under the candle light once more. 

Snape's eyes narrowed into slits, as he folded his arms. "What's the matter? You have been short since the moment you stepped into this classroom." He stated, impatiently.

I gulped, shaking my head towards him as I fought to prevent myself from biting the side of my mouth in punishment. I was now the one to mimic his position, scoffing and folding my arms, "Nothing. I guess I'm just tired, that's all. It's been a long day." I shrugged. 

His eyes scanned me up and down, as though he was deciphering whether or not I was being truthful. 

'Lying.'

"I'm not lying." The words escaped my lips before I had a chance to prevent them from doing so. As my eyes met his once more, I found the look of sheer shock and disbelief appear, his arms dropping to his side. "Are you-..." Snape hesitated, stopping himself short from whatever words were about to follow. I waited for him to continue....He did not.

"Am I what?" I spoke impatiently, tapping my foot on the floor. I watched as his gazed fixated onto me, in bewilderment. His eyes were almost fearful, momentarily, as Snape's mouth remained open and ready to speak. I had never seen him at such a loss for words; it made me feel uneasy to be in his, otherwise comforting, presence.

'A Legilimens...'

I watched as his voice echoed in my mind, yet his lips did not mouth a single word. My breathing hitched irrevocably, a forceful nod emitting from me, "I think so, yes." I spoke aloud. Snape's shocked expression did not falter, but grew into that of amazement in a brief millisecond, a small gasp escaping him.

"Merlins, Potter. Is there anything you can't do?" His breath came out like a chuckle. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "You're not mad?" I chewed my lip nervously, to which he scoffed and shook his head. 

"No, but-how? How did you learn to do it?" Professor Snape spoke, still in disbelief. I shrugged in response, "It only started when I came to Hogwarts; just, little thoughts here and there. That's the first time I have made out a whole sentence. But-I've been getting headaches; really bad ones! Do you think they have something to do with this-Legilimency?" I questioned, causing him to nod with another sarcastic scoff.

"I wouldn't put it down to anything else. It is likely the cause of an overwhelming amount of thoughts trying to break through your mind. I can provide an alternative elixir to rid you of them." He spoke, before beginning to search his Potion's cupboard. Shortly after his search had began, he found what he was looking for, handing me a bottle with a glowing, silvery liquid inside; different to the potion he had originally provided. "Drink this whenever you feel the pain to be too overwhelming. It will diminish it, entirely. Are you feeling alright now?" He queried, noticing I had not took a sip.

I nodded, "It happened in the Leaky Cauldron the other day. And in The Great Hall earlier." I informed, to which he now nodded in understanding. "It seems to occur in crowds. Makes perfect sense, I suppose." Snape pouted, "A natural-born Legilimens..." The Professor let out a scoff in disbelief, once more, shaking his head. "You really do astound me, Miss Potter..."