Parseltongue

"A Gryffindor mudblood was petrified Saturday night." I glanced up from my breakfast, in the direction of the voice, my eyes landing on a second year girl called Pansy Parkinson. I had been listening in on her and Millicent Bulstrode's conversation for the last five minutes. But nothing had struck my attention quite like her statement.

"Who?" Her friend queried. She scoffed, shaking her head, "Some first year; Colin Creevey? They found him with his camera near the hospital wing." My eyes widened, as I knew Colin from some of my classes. He was a timid, shy boy who had a penchant for photography. Whatever killed Mrs Norris was now moving onto Muggleborns.

"You alright, Potter? You don't look so good." Draco took a seat beside me, much to Pansy's dismay. I had heard through the grapevine that she had a crush on Draco since first year; unsurprising, as most of the Slytherin second years fancied him.

Removing the cold rag I had held to my head, I sighed, "I didn't sleep well last night. Bad dreams, I suppose."

Draco nodded sympathetically, "Apparently, there's a potion for dreamless sleep. Maybe you could ask Professor Snape for some? Oh! Speaking of which, he's asked if you could take notes during our duelling class with him and Lockhart this afternoon. Something about a favour?"

I nodded, tossing the wet rag into the bowl nonchalantly. "Thanks Draco. How are you feeling after the match the other day?" I asked concernedly.

He sighed, "That was so embarrassing. Not to mention, my father was there to see it, too." My breath hitched at this sudden sense of vulnerability coming from Draco. Draco, who wanted nothing more than to impress his father, failing. 

"No, I mean, how are you really feeling? You got pretty banged up." I shrugged, but he appeared a little shocked by my questioning. As though someone actually caring about him seemed so foreign, it had caused him to fumble with his words. "Oh, um...I'm alright, I guess." He shook his head dismissively.

I nodded, knowing he was not being entirely truthful but letting the matter go, nonetheless. "So, now that Halloween is over, have you got any plans for Christmas?" He questioned, to which I chuckled lightly, averting my gaze back to my food, "Should I have plans this Christmas?" I took a sip of pumpkin juice.

Draco scoffed, "Don't you have any family or friends to spend it with?"

My eyes met his as I pursed my lips, "Other than Harry, nope." His mouth opened out of disbelief, "Nobody else?"

I shook my head, forcing a smile. "No-one else. I grew up in an orphanage." He looked saddened by my statement, his gaze averting to the floor. "I'm sorry, I-...I didn't know."

I shrugged the matter away, "It's alright. At least I've got Harry now, I suppose." I spoke, glancing back towards the Gryffindor table where I found my brother sitting. His eyes met mine and he smiled, to which I returned with a small wave.

I looked back at Draco, finding him with a guilty expression on his face, "I'll leave him and his friends alone from now on. I promise." Smiling, I accepted his outstretched hand and shook it firmly. "Thank you, Draco."

"Gather round! Gather around! Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?" I watched as Professor Lockhart sauntered across a long, narrow stage setup in the hall. He looked as smug as always, grinning towards the crowd of young second year girls who fawned at the sight of him.

I rolled my eyes, glancing back towards my parchment and beginning to take notes.

"In light of the dark events in recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has given me permission to start this little, duelling club; to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published work." He smirked, removing his cloak and tossing it into the crowd of girls as they fought for ownership.