In An Ocean of Darkness.

To my astonishment, Dumbledore did not call for me at all, the following day. A week had gone by before I realised Snape mustn't have told him. I almost wanted him to. At least then Voldemort could be stopped.

The third task was nearing, taking place a mere three and a half weeks away. If there were a difference in my attitude, the trio of Gryffindors were far too preoccupied to notice. I didn't resent them for it. If anything, I wanted to shield them from my truth; ashamed of myself for letting what happened, happen.

In Harry's Friday Divination lesson, he had another vision; this time of a serpent and Wormtail in the house atop Little Hangleton, whom Voldemort was performing the Cruciatus curse on. I hadn't seen a snake in any of my lessons, before. However, I did not doubt Harry's vision, slightly relieved he went straight to Dumbledore to recount what he had dreamt. Hopefully, he would discover Alastor Moody was not the real Alastor Moody before whatever Voldemort was planning came into fruition.

The dark circles beneath my eyes and bruises from the weekly lessons were easy to conceal, with the same makeup I used to cover the werewolf bite on my neck. Luckily, the student uniform consisted of long-sleeved shirts with collars, so no suspicions were raised the weeks preceeding the third task; which would take place in a hedge maze where the Quidditch Pitch once stood.

I missed flying more than ever, unable to focus my magic on my previous ability to perform unsupported flight. That was something I much preferred to keep a secret from Voldemort. I knew he was trying to delve into my mind, and I was finding it harder each week to fight him off. The effects of the torture curse were waning on me, and I could feel bits of myself slipping away piece by piece. I looked at myself in the mirror now and struggled to recognize the person I had become. I would have given almost anything to go back and change the night Moody dragged me to the graveyard and Voldemort embossed the dark mark onto my skin. It wouldn't be long now...

"Avada Kedavra!"

I gasped, watching a jet of green light hit a crow, perched atop a tombstone, directly at its heart. The crow appeared shocked for a moment, before tumbling to the ground with a hard thud. A sudden chill traversed my spine, watching its glazed eyes turn motionless; unblinking.

"Why did you do that?" I asked, tears prickling my eyes that a forced away before the dark wizard could notice them. The man merely smirked in Pettigrew's arms, pointing down at the dead animal, "Bring it back."

I scoffed, disbelieving of his words, "Necromancy?" The man nodded, his grin unwavering. But I shook my head and crossed my arms, "No, I won't. I'd like to go back to the castle, please." I spoke as politely as possible without trying to insult the Voldemort, who appeared displeased at my decision. Ultimately, he nodded, "Very well. At least, let me give you the incantation."

I tried to blur his words, knowing I would never wish to perform such a task. I had heard Necromancy would raise a dead body, but not draw its soul back to it; therefore an empty shell of a person would reside; sometimes even turning into Inferi. We suffer enough with death; why should the afterlife continue to torture us?

"Ortus. Vivere. Percuro. Corpus. Motruus."

I watched as the crow's wings suddenly began to twitch, its eyes remaining glazed and motionless as it rolled onto its legs and took off into the sky. A shudder traversed my spine, watching its dark silhouette disappear with the night. Fascinating.

"You may go." Voldemort's weak voice broke my train of thought, as I sent him one final nod and Barty Crouch Jr. disapparated me back to the school, being sure to emerge from the forest a few minutes after myself. The night remained young, so I decided on retiring to my dorm and making the most of a decent night's sleep. However, upon entering, I found Pearl sitting at the foot of my bed with a gift; a dead mouse. The only downside of owning a cat. Sighing, I tried to appear grateful to my feline friend, stroking the top of her head as I took a seat on those silky covers and glanced at the poor creature beneath her paw.