The Final Feast

The next few weeks passed way too quickly for comfort. But as the days neared the last full moon and the last day of term, Remus grew sicker and sicker each day. I, however, found myself growing stronger, shocking both my peers that were aware of my new predicament and Madam Pomfrey. Draco had spent the entire time apologizing for the part he played in the 'almost execution' of Buckbeak, and I had finally forgiven him.

Harry explained to me that he and Hermione used her time-turner to go back and change the events of Buckbeak's execution and Sirius' imprisonment; saving them both. They had travelled on the road to freedom, which was all I could ever ask for. Unfortunately, in the scuffle that lead to my attack, Pettigrew had escaped and there was no way we could prove Sirius' innocence. Harry also told me that he and Hermione did everything they could to prevent the attack from occurring, only their attempts were futile.

"Hey, Emerald!" I glanced up from my dinner plate, my eyes averting in the direction of the voice that had called me, from the Gryffindor table. Harry looked at me worriedly, nodding his head towards one of the vast windows in The Great Hall; outside, darkness had began to approach. It was my time to leave and meet a very sick Remus Lupin by the Whomping Willow Tree.

I hadn't eaten any of my dinner; my appetite non-existent as I picked at my plate with my fork. Without another word with my Slytherin group of friends, I took a nervous and shaky breath before exiting the last feast of the school year.

"Miss Potter?" A voice sounded from behind me in the corridor, just as I was about to exit into the courtyard. I recognised it immediately. It was the voice belonging to the person that had avoided me every single day in the passing weeks. But I hadn't grown to hate the voice; instead, I understood why he was the way he was. I knew that he blamed himself, being the one to shout my name and startle the werewolf. It was not his fault. As Harry said, nothing could have prevented the attack. Nothing could have prevented my fate.

Turning to find him standing opposite me, I noted how exhausted he looked. His cheeks were sunken in, his black eyes surrounded by dark circles and his face paler than before even. "Professor." I addressed, my breath hitching slightly at my eagerness to make my way towards the Shrieking Shack before it was too late.

"I-...I'm sorry." The man shook his head, his lip quivering as tears began to brim in his tired eyes. A desperate hand outstretched towards me as, I too, tried to prevent my own tears from falling. Falling into his arms, they wrapped around me tightly, his cloak covering me for warmth as I closed my eyes and took a deep inhale. As expected, white musk and parchment filled my senses as I sunk into his embrace, savouring every moment and forgetting the hell to come ahead.

"You better go." Snape's voice spoke simply, his eyes sombre as I pulled away from his embrace. Nodding sadly, I quickly swiped a tear away from my cheek and turned back to face the double doors. Forcing a smile, I pushed them open and stepped outside. "I'll be right here in the morning, waiting for you." Snape reassured.

"Thank you, Severus." My voice broke as I fought away any more tears and continued with my pathway towards The Whomping Willow tree. Remus stood perched against it, waiting for me, looking even worse for wear than the day previous. The man took my hand in his, squeezing it tightly. And without a word, we made our way inside and descended towards the Shrieking Shack...

***

"How are you feeling?" Remus groaned in the darkened house; lit only by a small candle as a fire would be too dangerous. It was cold, I knew that much. But I struggled to feel the cold now; ever since the incident at the Black Lake. I watched as he convulsed slightly, doubling over in pain.

"I feel fine." I forced the urge to cry away, finding it unbearable to see my Godfather in pain. I was lying, however. The new scar on my shoulder was burning, screaming at me that the moon would be rising within a few moments.