Fire-Breather

The following morning Harry, Hermione and I would meet in the library. There, Harry would disclose that he had taken an escapade with Hagrid the night prior, where the Gamekeeper informed him of the First Task's subject; Dragons. We spent the entirety of our day researching the beasts, Harry also confiding in me that he had spoken to Sirius in the Gryffindor Common Room about his concerns surrounding the task at hand. His Godfather had informed him of Igor Karkaroff, the Durmstrang Headmaster, and how he once worked for Voldemort as a Death Eater. In return, I divulged some of Snape and I's conversation the night previous; leaving out the part where Snape, too, was a Deatheater. 

We knew we needed to be on our guards, especially when it came to the tournament and the fact that Harry now had a target on his back. The list in suspicious people surrounding us was ever-increasing; from Draco's father to Igor Karkaroff to the new Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor (much to Harry's dismay and blatant denial; his argument being that Mad-Eye Moody was an Auror and would never betray the ministry). The day concluded with no luck in charming/disarming a dragon and no further talk regarding Voldemort's attempt to make a return. Harry would, however, share a brief exchange with Professor Moody the following morning, where he was provided a big tip in succeeding in the first task; making use of his broom. All he needed was the summoning charm, which he had already mastered. 

After realizing, however, that Cedric was the only champion unaware of the first task and its contents, we trailed the Hufflepuff Team Captain and informed him of my brother's findings. He was grateful and sincere, as I had always found him to be before every match. Harry would also share a brief exchange with Professor Moody following our conversation with Cedric, where he was provided a big tip in succeeding in the first task; making use of his broom. I almost wanted to encourage Harry to let the Hufflepuff Captain win, if he had the choice. Unfortunately, Snape's assumptions about my brother having a 'Hero' complex and the will to prove himself were correct; And I was starting to think he was enjoying the idea of winning the tournament. I could only hope my assumptions were wrong.

The following morning was quiet; a certain buzz of excitement lingering in The Great Hall as the three schools gathered for breakfast. The morning passed too quickly for comfort, as everyone bar the champions were escorted to the outskirts of the school, where the Dragon's enclosures were situated. Fred and George Weasley were circling the crowd, taking bets from other students on the champions and their scores. I could have sworn I noticed McGonagall slip the twins a galleon, at one point. But I might have been mistaken. "He'll be alright, Emerald." I broke free of my trance, turning to find Draco Malfoy standing beside me with a confident, reassuring smile. I returned the gesture, no explanation as to how or why or what made me do it...But I took his gloved hand in my own, "Thanks Draco." Noting the heat appearing across his pale cheeks, I tried to subdue a smile and averted my gaze back onto the scene below. And I waited. With Draco and the rest of the Slytherins, for the first champion to emerge.

Cedric was the first to take on the Swedish Short-Snout dragon; his skills and use of spells making his task an easy feat. It would be less than fifteen minutes before he distracted the beast and was able to claim his golden egg, which would be a big clue in succeeding to the second task.

Fleur Delacour was next to enter, using a very well-casted sleeping charm to lull the Welsh Green into a deep slumber. Unfortunately, when the creature began to snore a small fire ball emitted from its nostrils, setting the blonde girl's skirt alight. For a moment, I thought she was going to give up; but she pushed through and managed to grab her egg just before the dragon woke up.

The Bulgarian Seeker, Viktor Krum, was the third to enter the enclosure; using much more offensive spells which almost caused an injury to the Chinese Fireball; much to the Dragon Tamer's anger along with Hagrid. This caused Dumbledore to dock a few points from his score, leaving him at close second with the Beauxbatons champion. Cedric was still in the lead. All that was left was...

"BOOM!" A canon sounded, as Bartemius Crouch Sr announced that my brother would be battling the Hungarian Horntail. The stadium turned silent as we waited for him to appear as I felt Draco's grasp around my hand tighten a significant amount.

Harry emerged, seeming so small compared to the Hungarian Horntail which stood crouched on the opposing side of the enclosure, holding her clutch of eggs; the shimmering bronze of the golden prize hidden amongst them. I could see Harry was shaking, even from where I was situated in the stands. His green eyes found my own, and we managed a short exchange of consolation before his eyes trailed back onto the dragon.

This beast seemed far more aggressive and ready to attack compared to the others, it's tail hitting the ground hard as the floor beneath the stands began to shake like an earthquake. I watched with anticipation as my brother confidently raised his wand into the air and incanted, "Accio Firebolt!"

The crowd was silent. Forever and a day seemed to pass before the whooshing sound of an approaching broom emitted from the distant castle. Relief overwhelmed me, unable to contain my pride and excitement that he had correctly performed the spell and his broom was hurdling towards him; the crowd roared, watching as he mounted his broom and took off...

The Horntail watched as Harry soared above it, still holding onto its eggs tightly and unwavering. But this confidence boost was clearly enough for my brother as his eyes scanned the enclosure and I delved into his thoughts. Harry's broom turned vertical to the ground as he suddenly dove towards it, trying to distract the beast but withdrawing at the last moment as a jet of fire emitted from the Dragon's mouth. The crowd gasped as I held a deep breath. Bartemius Crouch Sr was commenting, but his words were drowned out as Harry flew out of range.

The Horntail was watching his every move, shooting jets of fire in the hope of removing my brother from his broom; unsuccessfully. However, in dodging the flames he failed to notice the dragon's spiked tail hurdling towards him.

"Confundo." I breathed, too low for any of the roaring crowd to hear as the Dragon's tail swerved out of the way, missing Harry by barely an inch. My brother began to weave back and forth, trying to draw the Horntail away from her eggs. She was unable to get him with her talons nor her tail, the firebolt too quick for a dragon to keep up with. She was growing flustered. Frustrated. Tired of this silly, little game. And then, she reared and took off...

Harry dove down quicker than before; The Horntail barely several meters from the floor before she realised what was happening. But it was too late...As Harry hit the ground hard and scooped the golden egg into his arms. A deafening roar sounded as I shrieked in relief with the rest of the students. Draco's arms engulfed me into an excited hug which I accepted with no hesitance, the two of us jumping for joy with the rest of the students and teachers. Bartemius Crouch's voice was hard to hear over the cheers, but I managed to make out that Harry was the quickest of the four Champions to retrieve his egg.

I made my way down to the enclosure once the Dragon Tamer's had subdued the Firebolt, my brother pulling me into his embrace and spinning me in the air. "That was amazing, Harry!" I cried out in glee, other students beginning to circle around him.

"MOVE! OUT OF MY WAY!" The crowd quietened, parting like the red sea as Professor Moody made his way towards my brother. But his fat, jagged finger pointed at me with a ferocity and conviction in his eyes it shook me to my very core. "Cheat! Miss Potter, here, cast the Confundus charm on the Horntail! She put her brother's name in the Goblet of Fire!"

I gasped, my eyes wide in disbelief as the sea of students began to shoot daggers my way, along with a few professors; one of which being the person I had trusted more than anyone in the few years I had known them. Professor Dumbledore stepped forth, his eyes saddened at this revelation as he spoke with a calmness as though he was reciting Shakespeare, "Miss Potter, is this true?"