Tea

The day following Cedric Diggory's memorial was one of great sadness, the many students of Hogwarts saying goodbye to one another; uncertain what the following year would bring. However, the morning I was meant to depart with the other pupils, Dumbledore called me to his office for the purpose of an important matter to discuss. I dressed, said farewell to Draco, Harry, Ron and Hermione before making my way to the West Tower, alone.

To my slight surprise, Severus and Remus were sat at his desk, evidently anticipating my arrival. "What's this?" I asked, exchanging a short glance between the two. My Godfather turned to face me with tears in his eyes. What had happened, now?

"Please, take a seat, my dear." Dumbledore's soft voice beckoned me, but I remained fixed in my place, "Not until someone tells me what's going on. Remus?" I asked, my eyes meeting his amber ones as he shook his head, "Emerald...Please." The man's voice cracked, but I did as he said, sitting myself between him and Severus, who was avoiding even glancing in my direction.

Dumbledore appeared melancholy, "May we ask you to roll up your left sleeve, Emerald?"

I froze, eyeing him as my heart dropped into my stomach, the realisation occurring Severus had told him the truth. Defeat began to set in, my gaze averting to the cobbled floor beneath my feet, "If you need to ask, then you must already know."

Remus let out an exasperated breath beside me, and I found myself unable to look at him, "Why, Emerald? What could Voldemort possibly have promised you to agree to it?"

I scoffed, looking up to face him, "You really think she had much of a choice?" Severus' venomous tone suddenly came to my defence, taking me aback slightly. But my silence did not give his words much confidence. "Emerald?" I chewed my lip at Severus' pressing tone, turning to face him as our eyes finally met.

"Obviously, he said he would spare you and Harry. But, he promised me he would help train me to get my magic back. And answers; about things you were keeping from me and my childhood. Since everyone was keeping secrets from me all the time, I wanted to know more." I breathed, knowing it was a feeble defence. And a selfish one, at that. The three adults appeared saddened. No-disappointed. In me. And that was the worst feeling in the world next to grief.

The room was silent, each man not knowing what to say next. However, I knew Dumbledore would be the first to speak. To break my feeling of the walls slowly caving in on me.

"In light of the recent events, we have all agreed it would be best for you to no longer go home with Mr Lupin."

My head snapped up suddenly at the Headmaster's words. "I'm not staying at Hogwarts, again." I spoke adamantly, certain I could bring a tidal wave were they to confirm my suspicions. I refused to stay another year. Not in the school where Cedric Diggory died and I was, solely, responsible for his death.

Dumbledore shook his head, stroking his white beard, "No, my dear. It has been collectively decided that the safest place for you...Is with Professor Snape."

***

Spinner's End was a small village near the outskirts of Cokeworth, Severus' home one of the many hundred, identical, terraced houses. Mundane and entirely unexpected. However, according to Dumbledore, the safest place in the world for me, given Voldemort's return. I wasn't entire sure why.

We had apparated together from the school, the morning after all of the students had dispersed. It was too soon for my to have heard from any of my friends, but I worried most about how Harry was coping in his grief; especially back home with the Dursleys. But he knew where I was living, now, so at least he could owl me.

The porch led straight into a small living room; many a book strewn about and rather untidy. Which I was, too, unexpecting. His Potions classroom was always so organised at school. A jet of red light emitted from his wand, igniting the main fireplace and illuminating the room. With another wave of his wand, the home began to tidy itself, books placing themselves back on shelves and the dust lifting from the air. I would have been impressed, were the dark cloud of Cedric's passing not making me feel increasing guilt with each passing day. Somehow, it felt harder to get out of bed this morning than the day before...