Famous Last Words

The next morning was bleak, as though the entire school were grieving the possibility that Hogwarts would need to close, along with the students that had been petrified. Hagrid was right, there would be killings next. But I was determined, that was not going to happen.

Firstly, I had Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall, where we were taught how to change a rat into a shoebox. But my quest to open the chamber had interfered with my school work now, and I was not on par with my previous demonstrations, to the Professor's disappointment. My work was adequate, but not the above average performance I had attained throughout the entire year.

Next, Defence Against the Dark arts with Professor Lockhart; who was as useless as ever. Luckily, I had taken my studies outside of our weekly lessons, and was achieving scores higher than the rest of the class. Due to Lockhart's clear inability to teach, everyone else had fallen behind. Hopefully, he won't be returning to the school next year, due to the recent discoveries I had made whilst researching his 'legendary' work.

Following Defence Against the Dark Arts, we had Charms with Professor Flitwick. Luckily, I still Managed to keep up my previous grades and my performance was spot on, as usual. I was awarded 5 points to Slytherin due to my demonstration of a fire-making spell, 'incendio', it nearly setting another student's book on fire in the process.

Finally....Potions. It was one of our last observations, prior to our final exams of the term in which we would need to produce a Wiggenweld Potion and a Cure for Boils entirely from memory. It was important we noted Snape's instructions carefully, and did not lose focus for the entirety of the lesson. I soon found myself distracted, however, as I noticed that my Potions partner, Ginny Weasley, was missing.

I tried to forget the matter, and made sure to be extra precise with my notes so that I could inform her of the things she missed before the exam. Snape also seemed distracted, as though something was bothering him deeply. The lesson was long, and extremely detailed, but I did not mind too much. I enjoyed the Potions lessons, but was eager to get the day over with so that we could make our way to the chamber and finally put an end to a horrible first year.

"Class dismissed." I reached for my backpack upon Snape's instruction, beginning to file out with the rest of the class. "Not you, Miss Potter." I turned as the students walked around me, until it was only Snape and I left in the room.

He began gathering the books that some students had left behind. "Is everything ok, Professor?" I queried, allowing my bag to drop to my side. He sighed, narrowing his eyes towards me inquisitively, "It is not myself that I am concerned about, Miss Potter. There is something bothering you and I would appreciate it if you told me what it is." He spoke simply.

"Very well."

I resumed my seat at my desk, as his eyes trailed on me. "I feel guilty, knowing exactly where the chamber is and what creature is petrifying the students, but I cannot do anything about it." He took a seat on the desk opposite, resting his hands over the desk formally.

"We do not currently have the Mandrake draught completed. The Professors will not take any further action against these attacks until we have found a cure. We need to control these attacks before we put a stop to the creature behind them. It is likely that the students will be sent home within the next few days and will not return to the school until the problem is rectified." He sighed.

I shook my head in disbelief, "But, I don't have a home to go back to; I can't go back to Wool's." I protested. The Professor looked solemnly towards the desk, now averting his gaze from my own, "I'm afraid, Mr Potter's guardians have declined Dumbledore's request to take you in. It will be back to the orphanage, for now."

I bit my lip, trying to force away the tears that stung my eyes. "I won't go back there." My lip trembled, but I found my tears were not out of sadness but sheer anger; I felt infuriated that I had been exposed to the Wizarding World, and it was going to be taken from me so quickly. I certainly, was not about to allow anyone to take my new life or my only living sibling away from me.

"I am sorry, Emerald. But, I promise you, I will get you out of there again, as soon as I can." He reached out to place his hand over my own, but my decision was final; Harry, Ron and I would open the Chamber of Secrets tonight; it was out of Snape's hands, entirely.

My eyes found his, once more, as a tear rolled down my cheek irrevocably. "Thank you for being my Professor and friend. You have no idea how much it means to have someone who truly understands me." I forced a sad smile, for what I really wanted to say was a final 'goodbye' to my Potion's Professor. He looked a little concerned by my words, but did not question my motif. Instead, he merely nodded and allowed me to leave the room...In silence.

***

Harry, Ron and I made our way from the dinner hall, deciding it would be best to change prior to our departure into the chamber. It was only as I found myself tying my hair back in the common room, that an announcement was made by Professor McGonagall.

"All students are to return to their house dormitories, at once. All teachers to the second floor corridor, immediately." She sounded alarmed, as I quickly fled the common room and made a b-line for the corridor they had instructed the teachers to make their way to. 

Almost crashing into Harry and Ron, we hid around the corner, watching as the teachers fled towards another message that had been written on the wall in blood. 

'Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever.'

I gasped as they crowded around, Snape at the forefront as the terror filled his eyes. "As you can see, the heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realised- a student has been taken by the monster into the chamber, itself!" McGonagall sobbed in disbelief.

"The students must be sent home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts." The deputy Headmistress stated finally, causing my stomach to drop as it had with Snape's prior announcement in confidence. Never returning to Hogwarts again. I don't know how I would cope. Harry's hand grasped my own for dear life, as though to say nobody would separate us. And I agreed with him; the attacks ended tonight.

Professor Lockhart emitted, later than the rest of the teachers with the same, smug look on his face. "So sorry, I dozed off. What have I missed?" 

Snape's gaze distorted into that of anger towards the diabolical, DADA teacher, "A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart; your moment has come, at last."

The insufferable Professor looked at him in shock, "M-My moment?" He stammered.

Snape nodded in confirmation, to my surprise. "Weren't you just saying last night, that you have known all along where the entrance to The Chamber of Secrets is?" They queried his knowledge, but Snape already knew of the chamber's whereabouts. Surely he only meant to embarrass the useless Lockhart further, and would make his own way down into the chamber later on. Professor McGonagall nodded in agreement as a small smirk appeared through her lips.

"Well, that's settled. We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are legend."

The Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor masked his fear terribly, nodding at long last. "Very well. I'll just be in my office getting...Getting ready." He left them in the corridor, as Madam Pomfrey turned to face McGonagall.

"Who is it that the monster has taken, Minerva?"

The Transfigurations professor sighed, as though she was about to burst into tears. 

"Ginny Weasley."