Fleeting Moments of Happiness...

Severus held me in his arms until the sun came up. He did not ask any questions nor try to decipher what led to my hysterically crying in his office. No. He just held me until my tears ceased. Or, perhaps, there were none left to fall. I felt as though I must have cried an ocean, as ludicrous as it may seem. But I knew I couldn't stay in the comfort of his embrace forever. I knew it was only a temporary retreat.

"Emerald, I-" Severus' voice was softer than I had heard in a long time, as I sat up his arms left my shoulders, leaving a cold breeze in its place. A deep and shaky breath only reminded me of the dryness that resided in my throat, "I-I'm so sorry, Severus. I shouldn't have come-" I sniffled, wiping under my nose as I sat up and distanced myself from him. The man merely shook his head, desperation in his eyes as his hand grasped my wrist. I could have ran, his grip was soft. But I didn't want to. Not really...

"The stay and just talk to me. Tell me what is going on," he plead, his dark eyes glazed. I shook my head, now trying to pull away from him half-heartedly. "You don't understand-"

"-Then help me to. Please!" His despair caused my heart to break just a little more. But I knew I could never tell him the truth.

My mouth opened to speak the words my heart yearned to tell him, but only silence emitted. What could I possibly have said to him? How could I have told him without breaking his spirit in the process? He would have thought he had failed me. He would have felt responsible for what happened to me. I didn't care much for my own soul, now. But his meant everything to me.

"I..." I sighed, my eyes latching onto his darkened orbs that, too, told a story well beyond their years..."Can't."

I watched the anticipation in his eyes that I would tell him my truth fizzle to naught, sadness replacing hope's absence. Severus' gaze flitted to my wrist which his hand encased; and I realised a moment too late it was my left one as he grasped my sleeve and lifted it to reveal my dark mark. My heart stopped beating, my entire body beginning to tremble as his glazed over eyes looked up to meet my own. The moment I saw how distraught they were, something in my chest shattered completely.

"How could you?" I gasped, the last tear I could possibly shed that day cascading my cheek as I yanked my hand away from his and tugged on my sleeve to cover it. The man's breath hitched uncontrollably, eyes wide with terror at the very concept of his actions, "Forgive me, Emerald. I had to see for myself after Mr Malfoy informed me how you appeared last-"

I suddenly shot up from place, distancing myself even further from the Potion's Master, "-Draco told you!?"

"Emerald," Severus breathed, holding his hands up as he slowly stepped closer towards me, but the escape of the classroom door beckoned me, "This isn't just kids at Hogwarts, anymore. Please, you have to let me help you."

I shook my head, "No! I don't have to do anything! I needed you a month ago! You Should Have Helped Me Then But You Didn't! And I'm Tired Of Relying On You Coming To Save Me When This Time You Wasn't There!" I cried out, uncontrollably sobs emitting from me as tears continued to stream down my cheeks. And there it was. The words I had wanted to scream at him for weeks finally spilling from my lips all at once.

The man was speechless, his mouth agape as he fumbled to speak. But I was tired-no-exhausted of hearing his words and I needed to get away. Just for a little while. I left the room, knowing he would not follow me this time and found my way to the kitchens, where no-one would ask any questions and I could sleep for a while...No-one could hurt me in my dreams...

"Um...Emerald?" My eyes opened slowly, landing on a pair of vaguely familiar, bright grey ones as their arms tried to shake me awake. I rubbed my eyes to rid them of sleep, sitting up to find none other than, "Cedric? What are you doing down here?" I croaked, my throat completely dried out from my tears, once more. He chuckled lightly, shaking his head in nonchalance as he handed me a glass of water, "I could ask you the same question."

"Thanks." I smiled genuinely, accepting the water and taking a long glug as he began to explain his presence, "The Hufflepuff Common Room is right next to the kitchens. Some mornings I sneak down here to grab a pastry before all the good ones are gone." He smiled, waving a pain au chocolat in my face to confirm his story. Chuckling lightly, I grasped one from the table, myself, "And I thought Slytherin's were the sneaky ones..." I trailed away, taking a bit of the warm pastry and moaning in indulgence.

Cedric shrugged, "Maybe I was sorted into the wrong house?"

Silence ensued, before the both of us burst into a fit of laughter. Cedric Diggory was most definitely not sorted wrong. He was a kind Hufflepuff, through-and-through. I knew that much from watching him in Quidditch, always insisting on a fair match, even when the old Slytherin team were playing with Marcus Flint's, sometimes disagreeable, tactics.

"I heard you helped Harry out with the egg in the second task. You didn't have to do that, but thank you." Cedric nodded in acknowledgement. "He did the same for me. Had he not known about the dragons being a part of the first task, I would have been completely unprepared." I suppose Cedric owed my brother one, but I had a feeling the Diggory boy would have told Harry regardless.

"How are you feeling about the third task?" I asked, brushing the last of the flaky pastry from my pyjamas. The boy merely shrugged, once again, "I'm not too fussed on winning, to be honest."

"Don't tell me," I laughed, holding my index finger pointedly into the air, "it's the taking part that counts?"

Cedric tilted his head to one side, "Well, it is. But, no. I'm not one for fame, which I know would happen if I won."

"Then, why enter?" I scoffed, confused. The boy pursed his lips, fumbling for an answer, "I suppose, I didn't actually think I'd get picked."

A minute of silence followed, as I wasn't quite sure how to respond to his words. He was the one to break the tension, however, getting up from the bench I had fallen asleep on to leave, "I suppose I best get going. See you at breakfast?"

I nodded in agreement, but was certain I would be sleeping in my dorm for the rest of the day so the possibility was slim. On his way out, however, he turned quickly to face me, "Oh! And by the way; whatever is getting you so down, will always make you feel better if you talk to someone about it." A small smile of encouragement befell his lips. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "What makes you think I'm down?" I asked, but the boy merely scoffed, once again.

"Us Hufflepuffs are a very good judge of character." And with one last grin, he left me alone to my own thoughts. Cedric Diggory, you're not half-bad, you know?