Lost and Found

For the first time in months, that night, I slept. I even dreamt. Of Draco and I being back on the small island by the outskirts of the school. The fireflies, candlelight and conversations we shared into the late night. When the air turned cold and the night late, we gathered our things and flew back to Hogwarts. McGonagall waited for us at the foot of the grand staircase, eyes narrowed with false reprimanding, immediately silencing our laughter. Though her intimidation struggled to reach its full effect, Draco now having towered over the woman as her gaze flitted between the two of us.

"Precisely two minutes prior to student curfew," her Scottish tongue reverberated through the halls, otherwise devoid of life. "I trust the two of you can make it back to your dormitories, in that time?" the aging witch's brow quirked, I glanced towards Draco in sheer shock for a moment, before grabbing his hand and taking off down the corridor, full-speed.

"Thanks, Professor!" I called back to her, the woman's cloak figure turning to face me once more, "Oh, and Potter?!" she called, bring our sprint to a halt. A subdued grin allowed her lips to purse, "Nevermind." Though her lips spoke the words, her thoughts projected into my mind, 'It's good to see you happy.'

McGonagall knew I could hear her, a smile appearing through her lips at last, which I returned with a knowing nod, Draco now being the one to grab my hand as we continued racing towards the dungeons. As we stepped into the common room, the last of the students had retired to their dormitories; Salazar's fireplace crackled its enchanted embers, warming the cold room a great deal. The only person that remained was the Bloody Baron, whom exchanged a swift glance at us both before returning to his ghostly chessboard.

Irrevocably, I found myself walking towards the grand mirror looking out onto the dark depths of the Black Lake. Pressing my hand against the glass, I tried to look out towards the watery abyss. Only my own reflection looked back at me, as I felt Draco join my side.

"I used to be terrified of this window," I spoke solemnly.

"I can't say I'm surprised. I'd be too, if I had to go through what you have," Draco's voice was laced with understanding. I heard him turn to look at me, "What are you going to do, Emerald?"

My gaze left the window to meet his silvery eyes, "About what, precisely?" I asked. I wasn't sure even Draco knew the question he posed for me, for he pondered his next words a brief moment.

"About You-Know-Who? Your brother?" I knew there to be many more instances his question referred to, but those were the two main ones on his mind. I sighed deeply, averting my gaze back onto the dark waters, "Someone once told me that my gifts have the magnitude to outweigh Voldemort and, potentially, even Dumbledore, himself," I paused, watching the boy shudder at the mention of his name. My left arm burned and I felt the Bloody Baron's ghostly eyes fall onto me.

"I think he wants me for that very reason. Or needs me, more like," I corrected, watching as Draco's eyes filled with understanding. "As for Harry, I don't know. I understand why he is being like he is. A Gryffindor's worst traits can be stubbornness and narrowmindedness," I managed a scoff, swiping a stray tear from my cheek, "But they also have a big heart. And I know he will find room in there, someday, to forgive me."

Silence overcame us as I felt Draco's warm hand slip into my own, giving it a reassuring squeeze, "Are you tired?" He asked softly. I yawned as if on cue, much to his bemusement, "We should get to bed," He chuckled, which I mirrored, nodding in agreement. "Thank you for today, Draco. I needed that," I smiled sincerely. The boy returned the favour, "Anytime, Potter." Silently, we exchanged a warm hug before separating to our own dorms.

I drifted into sleep easily, that night; dreaming of our excursion on the small island. It was bliss. And, for the first time in months, I awoke with the sun and did not dread the day to come.