Family Ties

We knocked on the door to Hagrid's hut thrice, remaining hidden under the invisibility cloak as a force from inside shifted. "Who's there?" It grumbled scarcely.

I was a little taken back by Hagrid's hostility, due to him being so kind and carefree when we first met at the train platform. A few, heavy footsteps pounded against the wooden floor of the hut, before the door opened and we found ourselves faced with a loaded crossbow.

I gasped, quickly throwing the cloak off ourselves before Hagrid could pull the trigger. "What's that for?" Harry spoke, wide-eyed. Hagrid issued a sigh of relief, lowering his guard and allowing us to step inside.

"Sorry, I um-...I was expecting..." He faltered, putting his weapon down on one of the tables as we took a seat. "Never mind." He shrugged, before reaching towards his pot of tea. The boys took a seat, but it caught my eye that something was clearly bothering the Gamekeeper, as the tea began to overflow the cup and saucer.

I sighed sympathetically, reaching towards him and taking the pot from his hands. "It's ok, Professor. I've got it." I reassured, to which he nodded and took a seat by the fireplace, opposite the two boys. I began to pour the tea, petting Hagrid's dog, fang, with my free hand. 

"Did you hear about Hermione?" Harry queried, nodding in thanks as I handed him his tea. Hagrid looked solemnly towards the ground, nodding finally. "Oh, yeah. I heard about that, alright." The room was silent, as I forced a small smile and handed Hagrid and Ron their teas. 

"We have to ask you something, Hagrid." Harry began, sipping his tea nervously. Hagrid's eyes grew worried, his gaze averting to my own as I took the wooden chair by the dining table, continuing to pet Fang. "Did you know someone called Tom Riddle?" My eyes grew wide, at the words that I had just blurted out as though it was common chit-chat.

I looked up, the silence of the room deafening as I caught a glimpse of Hagrid's almost tear-stained eyes. He nodded, his lips pursed together. "Aye, I knew him. He went to Hogwarts back when I did. Back when the Chamber was first opened before I-" He paused, glancing absentmindedly towards an old umbrella that sat by the fireplace.

"-Before he told Professor Dumbledore that I was the one behind the attacks. But it wasn't me, and it wasn't Aragog-" I cut his sentence short, reaching my hand out and placing it over his comfortingly. "-We know what it is behind these attacks, Hagrid. And we know it wasn't you. What we need to know is how to get into The Chamber of Secrets." I spoke as soothingly as possible.

He nodded, "Like Tom, you've got to be able to sp-" Fang began to bark and growl at the front door to signify someone was approaching. We'd be dead if we were caught outside of our common rooms, especially with Snape as my head of house. 

Quickly the three of us fumbled to get under the cloak, watching as Hagrid answered the door, holding Fang by his collar to prevent him from escaping. Dumbledore stood by the door, as Hagrid invited him and another stranger inside. 

Ron looked sheepishly at the man, "That's dad's boss, Cornelius Fudge; Minister of Magic." He introduced, too silent for either of them to hear. The Minister looked saddened by his visit, "Bad news, Hagrid, Very bad news, I'm afraid. After three attacks on Muggleborn students, the Ministry has to intervene, I'm afraid."

Hagrid looked desperately towards the Headmaster for aid, "Well, I never did it. You know I never, Professor!"

"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence." Professor Dumbledore defended, causing a slight ounce of hope to brew within me that the Minister would accept their plea. He smiled sadly.

"I am sorry, Professor Dumbledore, but Hagrid's record is against him. We're going to have to take him..." Cornelius Fudge spoke, and I found myself beginning to hate the man at the head of the Wizarding World.

"Take me? Take me where!? Not Azkaban prison!" Hagrid nearly exploded, the front door to the hut opening once more as another figure stepped inside; this time, with long, white hair and crystal blue eyes that I could only compare to those of Draco Malfoy's. He donned a black cloak, made from the finest and most expensive materials and held a cane that a serpent sat atop of. He looked familiar...But frightening.

"Is that-" I paused, allowing Harry to answer before I had time to finish my questioning. "-Lucius Malfoy. Draco's dad." I nodded, my assumptions correct. I never knew two people could look so similar, regardless of being father and son. I suppose, I couldn't think it too strange, since everyone I had met told me I looked like my mother's ghost.

I watched as he made the most disgraceful remarks about Hagrid's hut, picking at the dust on the mantlepiece by the fire with his gloved finger. His interests, however, lied on Professor Dumbledore.

"What exactly do you want with me?" The wise, old headmaster queried. Malfoy Sr.'s eyes narrowed, a small smirk forming. "The other Governers and I have decided it is time for you to step aside." He reached into his cloak, pulling out a scroll of parchment. "This is an auto-suspension."

I tried not to gasp, clasping my hand over my mouth in disbelief. Cornelius Fudge looked just as shocked as every other person in the room. He handed one of, if not the most, powerful wizards in the entire world the notice. Hagrid shook his head in adamant protest, "You can't take Professor Dumbledore! With him gone, the Muggleborns won't stand a chance! You mark my words, there'll be killings next!" 

"Is that so?" Malfoy questioned in false concern, hardly phased by Hagrid's statement. Dumbledore shook his head dismissively, "Calm yourself, Hagrid. If the Governers desire my removal; I will, of course, step aside." He spoke as calmly as ever, taking a few steps towards Lucius as his intimidation from Dumbledore was evident.

"However," The Professor continued, "You will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." I watched as his eyes quickly flitted to where we were standing, behind Lucius' shoulder. The man shivered under his gaze, before he exited the room. How did he know we were there?

Hagrid nodded finally, letting out a small huff as they made their way from the hut. We couldn't just let them be taken away. I took a step forth, about to blow our cover but Harry grabbed my arm, stopping me short from my endeavour.

"Well um...If anybody was looking for something...All they would need to do is speak to what they're looking at." He nodded, shifting in his place as he caught us in the corner of his eye. "Oh! And someone will need to feed Fang whilst I'm away." He instructed, to the Minister's confusion, as he was escorted from the hut and away from the grounds of Hogwarts.

We removed the cloak, Ron and Harry turned to face me. "Are they bloody mad!? There'll be an attack everyday with Dumbledore gone."

I shrugged, shaking my head. "No, there won't. We need to get back to the common rooms before anyone sees us. It's too late to get into the chamber tonight. We'll need to do it tomorrow." I instructed, to the boy's complete shock and horror. "You know where the entrance is?" Harry gasped, causing me to nod dismissively to his statement.

"Of course! I've known for a while now. But I didn't know how to open it. Now, I think I do..."