Truth, Lies and a Little Adventure...

Voldemort circled around me, observing me from head to toe with bewilderment in his crimson eyes, "Extraordinary, that you survived Crouch's killing curse. I must admit, I was rather displeased at his actions."

I subdued a scoff, settling for a eye roll which went unnoticed by the dark wizard. I could feel Severus' gaze burning into the back of my head.

"You ordered him to kill me." I managed to retort with more venom than anticipated, causing him to come to a sharp halt before me. Opening his arms wide, a smirk befell his lips, "Search my mind and call me a liar." His command was laced with confidence. But I felt a hand softly rest on my shoulder, turning to meet Severus' desperate eyes, 'Emerald, don't.' His thoughts were loud and clear, for the first time in a while.

"Severus..." Voldemort addressed my guardian with a menacingly warning tone.

Did I really want to delve into the mind of a murderer; a tyrant? Or was this a test? Was this what Severus' plea meant? Voldemort was testing my loyalty. My confidence that he was telling the truth.

Time seemed to cease entirely, as I debated my next actions very carefully. The dark wizard waited in anticipation, his eyes narrowing onto me. Moments turned to hours, Severus' thoughts reverberating through my mind.

"No need, My Lord," the words left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth, "I believe you."

The muscles in his bony jaw appeared to relax slightly, the satisfaction evident in his slits; pale hands fell to his side. "Very well. Now, we may resume the matters at hand. Severus," Voldemort's attention diverted to the figure standing behind me, "You may escort Miss Potter back to Hogwarts."

Turning to find relief in Severus' dark orbs, my guardian nodded.

Utterly perplexed, my brows furrowed, "That's it?"

A smirk befell Voldemort's lips, "Is there something else you wish to discuss?"

I fumbled to find the right words, my subtle "No," would have to suffice, for now. Satisfied, the dark wizard nodded, "Very well. I will summon you when I next require your...attributes."

Voldemort's choice of words lingered in the air, thick with tension. However, before I had a chance to question him, Severus' hand was placed more firmly on my shoulder than before and we were disapparating back to Hogwarts.

It took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the brightness, reminded it was still the early morning as the sun shone brightly over the school.

We landed just beyond the gates, Severus waving his wand as they opened, allowing us to step inside and begin making our way towards the school, the familiar chime of the bell tower tolling in the distance. I prepared myself for a scolding, for Severus' words to be painfully blunt, as he usually was in dangerous situations. Or, more accurately, when I put myself in dangerous situations.

"You found the letter." That wasn't a question, Severus spoke at my side as we traversed the windy path towards the school.

"I did." I managed a breath, at long last, my eyes scattered across the cobbled stones beneath my feet.

"Emerald..." Severus called, his voice suddenly far more distant that I had anticipated, having came to a halt as I turned to face him, that fear lingering in his black eyes. His hands intertwined, he allowed the gap to close between us, now towering over me in authority. "It is imperative that the Dark Lord trusts your irrefutable loyalty. His skill in occlumency is unparalleled. I spent years training my mind so that he only sees what I wish for him to see."

I hesitated, pondering the question that had long troubled my mind but I had never spoken aloud. This was as alone as we would, possibly, ever be. I needed the answers I so sought.