Birthday Games

Over a month had passed since my first day at Hogwarts; and since my last conversation with Snape, I had built myself a reputation. My popularity in the school was not of short supply, for everyone had now grown to respect the once timid first year. More girls in the Slytherin house wanted to be my friend, due to my blatant disregard for the house's rules regarding hanging around with the other houses. Not to mention, my habit of often speaking out of tone.

My confidence had grown, and on the morning of my 11th birthday, I found myself bombarded in my dormitory by several of the Slytherin friends I had acquired. They had insisted I put on a little bit of makeup, much to my dismay. But I felt accepted, nonetheless, and that was all I wanted. We then made our way to the Slytherin common room, where I found a single present waiting for me by the fireplace, and a handmade card from Harry, apologising that he could not get me a present.

The gift was wrapped in black paper, and a silky, black bow to match. It had a label, which read out;

'Wear this, and you will always be protected.'

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, as the other girls in my dorm pressed me further to find out who this anonymous person that had gifted me the present could be. I opened the box, and inside found a stunning, emerald necklace, adorned with small diamonds and a silver chain to match perfectly. I gasped, and as I looked deeper into the gemstone, it looked as though some sort of liquid was inside - a protection, of some sort; as it had stated on the note.

I dressed for the Quidditch match, for not only was it my birthday and Halloween...But it was also the first Quidditch match of the season. Allowing the other girls to braid my auburn hair and my new necklace sitting beautifully around my neck, I made my way to The Great Hall for breakfast.

It was only as I found myself almost at the hall, however, that I felt a hand grab me and drag me around a corner, out of eye and ear sight of everybody else. I gasped, pushing and shoving against the force but it was to no avail. I soon stopped, however, when my eyes met those of my big brother. "Harry!" I gasped, as he crushed me into a hug.

"Oh! Happy Birthday, Sis." I smiled at his words, nuzzling my head into his shoulder as I accepted his embrace. "Thank you." I sighed. But our hug was shortly lived as he pulled away and reached into his bag, pulling out a cloak. "I was given this last Christmas from Professor Dumbledore. I know I can't give you anything for your birthday, but I want us to share this; it is an invisibility cloak, see!" He spoke, wrapping it around himself as he grew invisible. 

I gasped, my eyes wide with disbelief. "Oh my!" But as I reached out, I could feel the material between my fingers. He removed the cloak, placing it back into his bag. "You have to promise you won't tell anyone about this."

"I promise." Our pinkie fingers intertwined, as he nodded in acceptance. "I will keep it in the Gryffindor common room, but if you ever need it just ask." He instructed, pulling me into another bone crushing hug. "Thank you, Harry." 

"Oh! And good luck today." He smirked, sending me a snide wink before we entered The Great Hall together, separating as we made our way over to our different house tables. Harry sat with his Quidditch team, as did I. And we began to discuss strategies for the match ahead; it would start at noon, so we had a few hours before kick off.

"Good luck today, Miss Potter." I jumped a little, recognizing the monotonous voice, my gaze averting from the team to meet a, "Professor Snape." I smiled, but his expression appeared to be devoid of emotion. He nodded, "I'm sure you will do well in securing a successful outcome for your team." And with that, he made his way over to the staff table.

Something about his statement sounded ominous and pessimistic, as though he did not truly mean the words he spoke. And I had assumed he would have known it to be my birthday on October 31st; I suppose he would have to remember every students birthday if he was to include mine- I couldn't expect so much from him, especially due to the fact that he was a teacher and I was a pupil...Nothing more.

"You know, he's just saying that because he thinks it'll make you play better." Marcus Flint spoke reassuringly from across the table, to which I nodded. "Thanks Flint." But I couldn't help but gaze back over to the Professor's table, where he sat avoiding all eye contact with the Slytherin table.

Why he had turned so cold, I was unsure...Perhaps it was due to the fact that I hadn't spoken to him the over the past few weeks as often as I had when I first started. It was nothing to do with my increase in popularity nor my progress in Potions Class. As far as everybody else was concerned, I had became a star pupil, to say the least. I would have to raise the matters with him after the match. I can only hope we win.

My flight skills had increased immensely since my first flying lesson. But I had heard news that my brother was an excellent Seeker, much like our father. I hope my skills match up to his, if not even better. I suppose, only time would tell. He was the older sibling, after all...