Dolores Umbridge.

To Draco's slight astonishment, I was the first to gather my belongings at the end of Potions, attempting to flee from the back of the classroom before my brother and his friends.

"Miss Potter?" I flinched at the mention of my name, turning to find Severus sat by his desk, eyes expectant. But a sadness lingered in them which I couldn't quite fathom. He knew nothing of Harry and I's conversation. Or was I not masking my emotions as well as I thought?

"Might I have a word?" A few Gryffindor students exchanged snickers, which Severus was quick to dismiss and reprimand with a detention, where necessary. Draco sent a smile of reassurance my way, which I returned with a swift nod in acknowledgement, the remaining students filing out. Silence ensued, as I waited for my guardian to speak.

"My dear, about yesterday...-"

"-Thank you." I spoke quickly, not wishing to relive the conversation shared with Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey. Severus' dark brows furrowed, "I beg your pardon?"

I took a steady breath, closing the gap between myself and his desk. "I never got a chance to thank you, Severus. You've saved my life more times than I can count. And, yet, I never thanked you for any of them."

The Potion's Master appeared perplexed, but the sadness in his eyes did not wane as they lingered on me. At long last, a thought slipped from his mind, which would be too painful to hear him speak aloud.

'And, yet, it wasn't enough.'

"It was!" I argued, far more quickly than anticipated, recomposing myself at my sudden outburst. Severus' shock grew as I confirmed his long-held suspicions. Determined, I placed my hands on his desk and loomed over him, "Whatever Dumbledore said yesterday, forget it! I know what I am capable of, Severus. Now that I know what I'm dealing with, it just makes me better prepared. I'm going to control this thing, I know it! I just need you to have some faith in me and stop looking at me like I'm dying." I sighed. Whatever thought slipped Severus' mind next was heavily guarded, which I knew meant it was something most definitely not for my ears. From the sheer pain in his eyes, I knew it was something I did not wish to hear. Anything but faith, I was certain.

"Very well, my dear." He conceded, averting his eyes back to the parchment on his desk and resuming his marking.

"Harry knows everything, by the way." I gulped, immediately ceasing Severus' pen. The man froze for a moment, before meeting my eyes, once more. My eyes began to sting.

'He hates me for it. He practically told me he would rather I died than become a Deatheater for Voldemort.'

Those were the words I wished to confide to the Potion's Master. But upon a second glance, I took note of his sunken cheekbones, as though he hadn't eaten a decent meal in months; the dark circles surrounding his obsidian orbs, due to lack of sleep, and the fear that constantly lingered within them. And I pondered how much must already be consuming his mind, having to play a double agent for Dumbledore and try to deceive the darkest wizard of all time.

"How did he take it?" He queried, to which I managed a shrug, covering my disdain and desperation to tell him the truth perfectly. My lip wished to quiver, which I forced away by counting the buttons on his sleeve, as I counted the stars many a sleepless night spent in Spinner's End. "As well as you'd expect." Was all I could muster without bursting into tears.

Severus' lips pursed, as he sent a half-smile of reassurance my way which I knew was a hard feat, due to his own demons lurking in his mind. "He'll come around, I'm certain." I nodded, but did not outwardly agree with his statement, instead changing the subject, entirely. "What do you make of Professor Umbridge?" I asked, to which Severus emitted a long sigh, rubbing his forehead frustratedly, "Dolores is one of, if not the least competent, Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor I have seen at the school. I doubt she will last until the end of the year. She was also at your brother's hearing and I have heard she was most unfavourable to his story. Many in the Order believe she is here to discredit both your brother and Dumbledore's claims that the Dark Lord has returned."