Trust

How much time had passed before Draco's arms released me from his embrace, I did not know. But the blizzard outside had stopped and the world around us had turned silent; his thoughts the only solace as the many floods of questions reverberated from Draco's mind into my own; all of which I was determined to answer. And I did, as we ascended the tunnel to the Whomping Willow Tree...

"So, if Professor Lupin attacked you, are you now a werewolf?"

Shrugging, I averted my gaze onto the pathway ahead, "I don't think so. I don't transform on a full moon so Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape are doing some tests to find out why."

Draco hummed in acknowledgement of my answer, his gaze trailing towards the small light emitting from the end of the tunnel. "Did it hurt?" He questioned, after a few more moments of silence.

A small flicker of that night made its way into my mind, as I tried to fight the stinging sensation behind my eyes. Nodding, I gulped in attempt to bring some moisture to my dry mouth and throat, "It did. But not as much as seeing Remus the next day. He was devastated." I sniffled.

Draco was silent for a few more moments, the regret of his question radiating from him as we continued our journey to the Whomping Willow Tree. "I'm sorry." I turned to face him in confusion as to why he would possibly feel the need to apologise. His blue eyes found mine, even in the midst of the almost-complete darkness. "I should have been there for you. Going through that couldn't have been easy."

His crystal eyes, too glazed over as his bottom lip quivered ever-so-slightly, wrapping my arms around him once more, "You didn't know, Draco. I didn't want anyone to see me differently, especially you."

"I wouldn't have cared, even if you turned every month. You're still Emerald, to me."

To my surprise, Draco's words caused a sudden wave of relief to overwhelm me, and I had never felt as calm as I did in that moment, in my entire life. There were no thoughts, no noise...Just calm; Draco's silent mind bringing me the long awaited peace I had so desperately sought since my Legilimens abilities came to light.

I didn't need to thank him, but I hugged him tighter in the hope it would convey my thanks to him. Evidently, it did, as he returned the motion, a few more moments of silence passing before we pulled apart, once again, the world suddenly turning cold in the absence of Draco Malfoy's warm embrace.

"We should get back to the castle. I'm sure Dumbledore will want to speak to you." I sighed, Draco's blonde eyebrows furrowing in confusion, "Why?" He scoffed.

"Because only a few people know about what really happened last term; most of whom have been sworn to secrecy." I sighed, continuing the pathway ahead as Draco followed in tow.

Unfortunately, due to Dumbledore's inexplicable ability to know-all, he was aware of Draco's revelation, summoning us both to his office before we even had a chance to step into the Entrance Hall. What made matters even worse was that it was Professor Snape who had informed us of this, escorting us to the Headmaster's Office and glaring daggers at Draco the entire time Dumbledore spoke to him.

By the time the conversation had finished, it was nearing midnight and the first task of the Triwizard Tournament was three days away. I was exhausted, knowing I would need a decent night's sleep if I was going to be meeting Harry and Hermione in the library the following morning, to continue our preparation for a task we knew nothing about.

"Miss Potter?" Flinching at the sudden sound of my name, I looked up from the desk to find Dumbledore eyeing me expectantly. Had he called my name before? "Sorry, Professor." I quickly recomposed myself, but the small dismissive wave from Dumbledore made me relax a little, "Not to worry, my dear. I wish to speak with Mr Malfoy alone for a moment." He turned to face Severus, "Professor Snape, would you mind escorting Miss Potter back to the Slytherin Common Room?"

"Of course, Headmaster." The man nodded without hesitance, not sparing a glance my way as he headed for the door. Quickly getting up from my chair, I exchanged one, short glance of reassurance with Draco, which he returned, following after my head of house as quickly as I could.

"That was foolish of you, to tell Mr Malfoy about the attack." Severus' voice was calm but spiteful as I fought to keep up with him, but I did not have a chance to argue before the Potion's Master continued. "His father is a Ministry Official, not to mention a blood Purist." He spat, causing me to scoff in disbelief, finally catching up with the man, "Can't be much worse than one of Voldemort's Deatheater's finding out-" Severus turned quickly and grasped me by the shoulders, regret, guilt, anger and fear flickering in his obsidian eyes. I gasped at this sudden change in urgency in his eyes, "Don't say his name!" His voice was a whisper, but he spoke with such severity and conviction it shook me to my core. "Why should it matter, if he's dead?"

I waited for Severus' answer, but the sudden flicker of dread in his eyes caused a switch to flip in my mind my stomach drop. "Severus." My eyes narrowed, as I waited for him to confirm my notion. The man glanced each way down the corridor to ensure there were no eavesdroppers, before grabbing my arm and dragging me towards the dungeons. We found our way into his office, as I fought to catch my breath as Severus began to pace back and forth.

"He's not gone, is he?" I gasped, trying to steady my breathing as Severus merely shook his head, his gaze not averting from the floor as his pacing continued. "I-I don't understand! H-How is it possible?" I sighed in disbelief, watching as the Potion's Master took a seat at his desk and rolled his left sleeve, his ebony wand hovering over his arm and illuminating the Dark Mark embedded onto it. I hadn't seen it properly before, only catching a quick glimpse when I discovered Snape once worked for Voldemort.

My head tilted to the side as I took a seat opposite his desk, eyeing the tattoo with curiosity and distaste at the same time. What lead to Severus Snape wishing to join such an awful cause? Why did he take this dark path? What made him change his mind to turn to Dumbledore's side?

"Do not think bitterly of me, Emerald." Severus' voice pried me from the mark, my eyes finding his. "Please." He breathed with a calmness I found a rarity in the Potion's Professor. I gulped, my gaze softening as I shook my head, "I wasn't. I just wish I could have been there to change things."

The room was silent for a moment, that comforting silence returning that felt so familiar to the way I felt in Draco's arms merely hours before. "I find...That I dwell too much on the past. But, in doing so, I forget to live. We can't ponder too much on how things could have been, Emerald. Otherwise we hate ourselves for what we cannot change."

Severus' words struck something in me as I watched the black snake dance around the inky skull on his arm. "Does it hurt?" I felt his gaze shift from me onto the tattoo, "It did at first. But it faded to almost nothing over the years. I hoped it might disappear completely, over time. Evidently, I was wrong. During the summer, it began to darken, once more." The summer. When Harry's nightmares started. They were linked and true and Voldemort was trying to return.

"So...that's what makes you think he's coming back?" I did not wish for nor need an answer to my question for I already knew of Snape's thoughts; he allowed his walls to fall for a moment and the confirmation echoing into my mind willingly. Although anticipated, it still caused ice-cold water to trickle down my spine and the hairs on my arms stand upright.

'Indeed.'