Castle Lockdown

The Halloween Feast in the Great Hall was wonderful, that night; Filled with energy and life. I hadn't felt so positive and uplifted in many weeks. For a brief moment, I found myself forgetting about Sirius Black, my eyes glancing over at the teacher's table every now and then absentmindedly.

"Potter?" I finished the piece of pumpkin pie I had been eating, looking to face Marcus Flint as he sat opposite me. The entire Slytherin Quidditch team gathered around, pushing the girls next to me further down the table of students, much to their dismay.

"Alright, guys?" I asked concernedly, looking at them as they all shared a wide and excited grin. Flint nodded, "Good, thanks. But we need to ask you for a favour." Draco appeared beside me, with a glimmer in his eyes, "Go on! Tell her, Flint. Or I will."

"Tell me what!?" I chuckled, exchanging short glances with each of the team members. Flint reached into his pocket, pulling out a small box and handing it to me. Another present? Opening the lid, my eyes widened as they laid on a small badge; it was black and green with a silver engraving and serpent in the middle. 'E. Potter. Captain.'

"The team and I have decided, we want you to be Captain after I leave. What do you think?" Flint's voice echoed through the room. The Great Hall silenced, as I could feel hundreds of pair of eyes on me. 

My smile caused my cheeks to begin to ache, "Well!?" Draco pressed excitedly. I could feel my eyes beginning to well up, but forced away the tears, not wishing to cry in front of my classmates. "O-Of course I'll be your Captain!" I shrieked, causing them all to cheer and clap in glee.

"Looks like Slytherin have chosen their Captain for next year; Miss Potter!" Dumbledore called out, causing the entire Great Hall to erupt in applause. I began to tremble excitedly, getting up from my chair and bowing shyly at the crowd. Professor Snape looked extremely please, as he clapped with the rest of the teacher's. Lupin, who sat beside him, couldn't control his glee, getting up from his seat to cheer me on with the rest of the school like a proud parent.

The Gryffindor table, to my surprise, were also cheering. My brother's eyes met mine as he had a huge smile spread across his lips. Hermione and Ron whistled, along with his two older, twin brothers Fred and George. And only one thought came to mind as I looked over the school I had come to call my family...Best Birthday Ever!

***

Marcus advised me he would need to train me up before the end of the year, so that I could be fully prepared for my Captain Duties the following year. "Potter, is it?" A voice called from behind me. I turned confusedly, my eyes meeting those of a Hufflepuff student. He was handsome, being an understatement. Grey eyes and ashy, brown hair to match. Tall and slim; I recognized him from the Hufflepuff Team.

"Sorry. Do I know you?" I apologised sincerely, causing him to chuckle lightly and shake his head. "No, but I'm Cedric. Cedric Diggory; I'm the Captain for Hufflepuff. I just wanted to congratulate you on making Captain. I don't think Hogwarts has ever seen someone so young get it." He extended his hand for me to shake, which I accepted without hesitance. "Thanks." I nodded.

The Sixth year smiled, "Anytime. And, if you ever need any help with anything just let me know." I returned the favour; Hufflepuff's were such good-natured individuals. So selfless and happy to help. I like to think I could have been one...

We began to make our way back to the Common Room after dinner, settling down by the fire as the Quidditch Team began to tell stories about previous Captains; it was interesting and gave me some insight into what to expect in the upcoming years.

The entrance to the common room opened, as Professor Snape stepped inside. He looked worried. No. Terrified, as he stalked towards us all. His eyes relaxed a little once they found mine, as he addressed the entirety of Slytherin house.