Family

The weeks passed like minutes, due to spending most of my time either with Professor McGonagall, Hagrid or in the school library. I had completed nearly all of my second year studies, but was conscious to make sure they did not interfere with my summer reading I was required to complete in preparation for Third Year. I was exhausted, and completely drained; more so than I had been throughout my entire first year.

I hadn't had time to read ahead on other spells taught in later years, as I had the year previous. Although I found, I had taken a new liking to astronomy, spending some of my time in the tallest tower in the school. I had spent most evenings there, as Dumbledore had allowed some leniency with the usual curfew. One night, he had even decided to join me in stargazing. It was a fun night, and Professor Dumbledore was a very kind man, I had come to realise.

But the end of July had approached, and I had asked the headmaster if I could venture outside of the school grounds to visit my brother for his birthday. He obliged, but only on the terms that Hagrid escorted me. Luckily, Hagrid had some things to pick up in Diagon alley, and I had to get a new school uniform and Quidditch kit for the new year. I was also given some money to buy Harry a present.

I made my way to Hagrid's hut, wearing the new clothes McGonagall had assembled for me, knocking on the front door thrice. The tall man answered, with a big grin on his face as his eyes met mine. "Emerald! You ready to go?"

I nodded, returning a smile, "All ready, Hagrid." He threw me a helmet, which I caught quickly. What would I need a helmet for? Hagrid emitted momentarily, with his umbrella and another helmet in hand, as he lead me around the back of the hut. My eyes widened, as I laid eyes on a motorbike with a buggy on the side.

"Hop in!" He chirped, mounting the bike. I suppose it couldn't be much different to riding a broom.

How wrong I was, for the motorbike was much faster than the typical broomstick we used to play Quidditch; faster than the train to Hogwarts, also. For we had made it back to London within an hour or so of leaving the school and I had spent around ten minutes brushing the knots out of my hair when we reached London.

We put a few hours down to sorting out everything Hagrid needed in Diagon Alley, along with purchasing my new uniform and some school supplies. We then drove to surrey, coming along a very normal looking  road called Privet Drive. Hagrid turned to face me, before I made my way to the front door.

"Now, remember, your aunt, uncle and cousin are not fans of the magic community. It may be best to avoid any talk of all that stuff. Oh! And no magic outside of school." He pointed an index finger towards me in warning. I nodded, remembering to have read in a book about magical lore that witches under the age of seventeen are not allowed to produce magic outside of school. 

"Thanks Hagrid." 

He smiled, patting me on the shoulder reassuringly. "I'll be back in a couple of hours to pick yer' up." He stated. I waved him goodbye, making my way towards the front door. Just as I was about to knock, however, the door opened and Harry quickly ran outside before anyone could notice by sudden presence, slamming it behind him.

A little shocked at his enthusiasm, he grabbed me by the arm quickly and dragged me out of sight from whoever could have been inside the house. "Harry, what's going on?" I queried, looking at my brother who had grown almost a whole foot over the summer holidays. My eyes widened, as he pulled me into a tight hug, nearly crushing the present I had bought for him.

"Oh! Em! I missed you so much!" He let out a sigh of relief, his voice ten times lower than it had been the last time I saw him. I looked at him in disbelief, "You-look so different!" I stuttered, causing him to chuckle nervously. "Nah, I'm alright! How have you been? What's it like at Hogwarts during the summer!?" He exploded, bombarding me with questions.