An Accident

I took a deep breath as my eyes met those of the moon, illuminating the courtyard outside the school. The clock in the astronomy tower chimed to signify it was 11pm, having snuck out of the Slytherin common room after everyone else had gone to bed.

"You can do this." I whispered to myself as I swung my legs over the broom and pushed off firmly, as I had in my first flying lesson. To my surprise, the broom did nothing. I tried once more, and nothing as before. I huffed, determined to get it off the ground. Maybe I needed to build more momentum for it to lift me off the concrete floor.

I took a running stance, and as I flung my leg over the broom once more, it propelled itself from the ground and into the sky. "Yes!" I cheered, but my triumph was soon outlived before I came plummeting back to the ground, smashing hard against the concrete.

My head collided with the floor forcefully, as I rolled over and over, coming to a halt as my back hit hard against one of the pillars.

I let out a small moan, forcing myself up from the floor, trying not to let out a wail as my head began to pound profusely. My broom had crashed into the wall beside me, luckily it was still in tact.

"Stupid broom!" I cursed, but I soon grew distracted by the dripping onto the ground beneath me. What I assumed to be rain water, was blood. And it was coming from my forehead where it had hit the ground.

"Enter." I opened the door to the potions classroom as Professor Snape sat at his desk. Surprised he was even still awake, I stepped inside. "I need your help with something..." I trailed away, and he looked up to face where I was standing. 

"And how can I be of assistance, Miss Potter?" Good, he recognized my voice. I stepped into the light, and when his eyes met mine he he flew from his desk immediately, to help. "What on earth were you doing!?" He shouted, grabbing me a chair as he sat me down and began to assess my head.

"I've got Quidditch practise tomorrow but I haven't really been on a broom yet so I thought I would test the waters." I sighed, watching him as he fumbled through his cupboard filled with potions and ointments, among other things.

Eventually he found what he was looking for and made his way back over to me, kneeling down in front of me. "Here, take this." He instructed, and I did not hesitate to do so.

It was a neon green liquid. And as it disappeared down my throat, I could only compare the taste to an extremely sour apple, causing my face to crease in disgust. By the time my eyes opened from grimacing, the professor had a wet cloth held over my head, cleaning the dry blood away carefully. After a few moments, the pounding and pain subsided.

"Thank you." I sighed, relieved. But the Professor still appeared to be angered by something. "Don't thank me. It's my fault - there's a reason first years are not typically allowed on the team." He spat, throwing the used cloth into the sink angrily.

I sighed, sad that I had disappointed him and practically ruined my chances at staying on the team. "I can't fly, Professor."

He raised his eyebrow in defeat, nodding with a small huff, "I'll allow you to try once more but only with my supervision."

My eyes widened as the butterflies fluttered in my stomach excitedly, "Really!?" I exclaimed, which he replied with a smile and a curt nod. Jumping up from my seat, I wrapped my arms around his waist, as it was the highest I could reach, a small shriek emitting from me. He tensed for a moment, his arms frigid as though he did not know what to do...

Then he patted me on the back awkwardly, "Yes-well, we best get back outside if you want to be flying by tomorrow."

***

The nerves almost overcame me as I found myself standing in the courtyard once more, my broom in hand. "Focus, Miss Potter." Snape spoke carefully. I nodded, mounting my broom.

"Close your eyes. Push off and feel the ground disappear beneath your feet ."

Following his instructions, I felt my feet push off the ground and I began to levitate in the air, less than a few feet from the floor. 

"Guide the broom forward."

I took a deep breath, leaning forth and the broom followed in suit, gliding forth across the courtyard. I began headed for a wall, before Snape shouted out "Lift!" I grabbed the front of the broom and pulled it up towards the sky, missing the pillar and soaring high above the school grounds. I gasped, feeling the adrenaline pulsating through my entire body. I broke through the cloud lines, high enough to feel as though I could almost touch the moon.

It was peaceful and quiet; I suppose I had expected loud winds, but the silence was comforting. I almost did not want to come down, but I knew the Professor would worry. The school looked incredible from a bird's eye view. Some lights were on inside the castle walls. Students were sleeping, and the new day had slowly began to creep in as the clocktower bell tolled twelve times.

I flew back towards the courtyard, my eyes focusing on the black figure of Professor Snape. I had expected a rough landing, but I sauntered onto the concrete flawlessly. The Professor clapped slowly, impressed with my performance. "Did you see that!? That was amazing!" I shrieked, causing him to chuckle lightly- something I had not expected from the ever stern teacher.

"It was pretty impressive." He nodded in approval.

"Thank you, Professor. I couldn't have done that without you." I sighed, exasperatedly.

He shrugged and shook his head dismissively, "You credit me too much, my dear. That was all you." He placed his hands in his pockets nonchalantly, his stern expression returning once more. "Now, off to bed. And I don't want to see any additional late night lessons, do you understand?" 

I nodded, "Yes, Professor Snape."

I think Snape had started to distrust my promises a little, for he escorted me all the way back to the Slytherin common room and did not leave until the secret entrance was closed. I wished him a good night, which he returned before we parted, and I made my way up to the girls' dorms for bed. Ash was sleeping on my bed, so I moved her over a little and fell asleep, stroking the top of her head and thinking about practise the next day...