Dinner Disaster

The next few weeks were spent focused entirely towards my studies; the remaining Professors in the school working out their own timetable in which I was to attend lessons and catch up with the rest of the third years. From endless revision classes on strengthening solutions, fire protections and hair-raising potions with Snape; to numerous lessons on how to turn beetles into buttons, rabbits into slippers and transfiguring my poor feline pet into a water goblet with McGonagall. Dumbledore took over Astronomy and Snape and McGonagall covered the other core subjects in which they were strongest.

Towards the end of my second year studies, I had a meeting with Professor Snape where we discussed the three elective courses I would need to choose for third year. These would work towards whichever occupation I would decide to attain in my future years; I found myself, similar to my brother, leaning towards either becoming an Auror or an Alchemist. But I would not need to think so much about those things until year five, so I had a little longer to decide.

The weeks leading up to the new term passed quickly, and I found myself enjoying my time with Professor Snape, almost trying to find an excuse to speak with him each time outside of classes. Shortly before the end of the holidays, I received an invitation from Harry to attend the Dursley's for dinner, to formally meet my Aunt and Uncle that had refused to take me in. I accepted, not wanting my refusal to affect Harry in any way.

Dumbledore allowed me to do so, and to come back to Hogwarts with my brother and the rest of the students at the beginning of September. So I packed my bags, bid my Potions Professor adue and left with Hagrid on his bike two days before the beginning of term. Petunia and Vernon, on this single occasion, agreed to allow me to stay those few nights inbetween.

By the time we arrived at the Dursley's, a storm had began to brew. Hagrid left quickly, so that he could beat the forecasted rain. Deep breath. I walked towards the front door, pressing the doorbell as I fixed the dinner dress McGonagall thought would be the most proper to wear for the occasion.

Reluctantly, I had let her use a spell to straighten my hair. Snape tried to protest, stating that I looked older than my years. But McGonagall ignored him. My shoes were also new and I had never worn heels before, no matter how small. But I kept the old backpack I had owned for as long as I could remember, much to my deputy Headmistress' dismay.

Within moments, Dudley answered the door as though it had almost been a rehearsed affair for the Dursleys to do this routine when hosting visitors. Petunia was waiting in the lounge, whilst Harry perched himself on the stairs. When my eyes met his, I ran into his arms, pulling him into a tight embrace. 

"Hey, sis."

I smiled, nuzzling into his neck for the comfort I had long forgotten in my time alone at school. "Harry." I breathed his name, finally feeling relaxed in another person's embrace. I had missed him more than I could ever outwardly admit. My comfort was soon drawn short, however, as Petunia made her presence in the hallway known. The slight agitation evident in her voice at the fact that she was required to travel to me, as opposed to me greeting the hostess in the lounge as she had obviously intended.

"Emerald. It's so lovely to see you again. Harry, can you take her bag for her?" I watched as Aunt Petunia almost tried to hold back a grimace as she commanded my brother. Shaking my head dismissively, I grabbed the bag from my brother's arms, "That's ok, Aunt Petunia. I can do it, thank you." I smiled, causing Harry force away a smirk as he took me up to his bedroom. He had made another bed on the floor, and I would be sleeping in his bed for the nights ahead. Maybe I could find a charm that would make the floor more comfortable for my sibling.

"So, what have you been upto, Em? You look exhausted." Harry spoke as I tossed my bag onto his bed. I sighed, "Well, I've been catching up on everything you lot learnt last year. I've literally just finished in time so exhausted doesn't even begin to cover it!"