Cat's Eyes

"What do you suppose they're doing, right now?" I huffed in self-pity, pressing my head against the rails in the clock tower above the, now empty, courtyard. Harry let out a low moan, glancing out in the direction of Hogsmeade, where the rest of our year group had taken a trip to. "No idea, Em. We could just go, you know?" 

I shook my head, "No, we can't. We've got to be careful with Black on the loose." Shuddering at the mention of his name, I continued to gaze in boredom, off into the distance. "Ugh! Then stop bloody moaning! I'm going for a walk otherwise I'll go mad standing here all day." Harry grunted from beside me. 

"You coming?" He pressed.

"Can't. Quidditch try outs in an hour." I returned simply. Even though I didn't need to try out again, Flint liked all of us to be there to judge who we wanted/needed on the team. It was Marcus' last year this year as Captain, so he'd need to choose one of the sixth year's to be the team captain soon...

Harry's footsteps distanced himself as he made his way from the tower, and I found myself reminiscing in the images of Snape and my mother when she was younger. Everyone was right; I was her double. And yet, according to Remus Lupin, I was so much like my father. Snape spoke the truth in the Room of Requirement; we were truly even. Although his wound was a little fresher than mine; I had time to forgive him. Perhaps, he now needed space, as I did.

"Accio Nimbus!" I waved my wand without effort, waiting for my broom to arrive. After a minute, it finally appeared beside me in the Tower. It was looking a little tattered; perhaps some maintenance before try outs would be a good idea. Stepping over the rails of the tower, I mounted the broom and began soaring in the direction of the Quidditch pitch. That familiar rush of adrenaline overcame me, as I landed briskly on the ground. I could change beforehand; but some practise wouldn't do me any harm. 

The time passed shortly before try outs began; the Slytherin students that had showed up late were dismissed before they could even set foot on the field. I wore my uniform proudly, this year my name and number being embroidered into my cloak, as I stood next to Draco at the front of the group.

"Hey! Did you figure out what your Boggart was?" Draco whispered beside me, in the midst of Marcus' opening speech. I shrugged, "Not yet. I'm going to ask Lupin tomorrow." I spoke quietly, causing Draco to tusk in my ear, "Hanging out with teacher's on a weekend? Truly, do you have no life, Potter?" I scoffed at his remark, shaking my head as I turned my attention back onto the new candidates for the team.

To my surprise, Flint wanted to know what I thought of most of them. Him, his two friends and myself managing to narrow down the numbers to a few. We needed a new two new chasers and a new beater, which we managed to find with surprising ease; they were fourth and fifth years. Draco insisted he wouldn't be buying any new brooms for the new team members. I found myself trying not to laugh at his remark, as we made our way back to the common room to celebrate our new additions.

It was late when we went up to bed, and I found Ash sitting, waiting on my bed for me as usual. Deciding I would take her with me for a walk around the school grounds the following day, I changed into some pyjamas and tried to have a decent night's sleep. Evidently, my new found tendency to let the thoughts into my mind had alleviated my headaches; most of my dorm was already asleep, also. So I drifted off quite easily, having the most pleasant dreams about the memory Snape had, unwillingly, given me...

***

The next morning, I awoke feeling more refreshed than usual; the other girls in my room had already woken up, meaning I had slept in longer than expected. Luckily Ash woke me up, otherwise I could have slept in until twelve o'clock. I dressed, noticing in my reflection that white hairs had began to try sprouting from my roots. My stomach flipped, as I tried to remember the spell Snape had used to return my hair to its usual colour.

"Crinus Muto." I spoke, aiming my wand towards the top of my head. The white disappeared, to my relief, as I styled my curls and made my way to the Great Hall for lunch; breakfast had already finished. Ash sat by my side as I fed her what little leftovers remained on my plate. The hall was empty, most of the students heading off to do other things on a Sunday. I, however, made my way to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, knocking on the door thrice.

"Come in!" Lupin's voice chirped. Ash ran ahead, almost tripping me as she ran into the classroom.

"Pearl? What are you doing here?" I stepped inside confusedly, my eyes meeting the Professor's as he held my cat in his arms. Strange, she didn't usually take too kindly to strangers, I had come to find when Dumbledore tried to pick her up during the school holidays after escaping my room.

"Um...That's Ash, she's my cat." I corrected, watching as the teacher turned to face me in momentary confusion. He shook his head, glancing back at the cat, "No. That's Pearl, your mother's cat. She must be getting on for fourteen now; your mother got her just before Harry came alone. A practise child, her and James called her. Although, I always preferred dogs; big, fluffy, black ones." He chuckled. 

It took me a moment to register the words coming out of his lips. Ash wasn't really called Ash, she was called Pearl. And Pearl was my mother's cat! "She was mum's?" I spoke, wide-eyed. He nodded, a smirk making its way across his lips, "I wonder where she's been all these years..." He trailed in deliberation. I suddenly felt an overwhelming attachment to the feline, as he handed her over to me. I had a piece of both mum and dad for so long and I never even knew it! Her grey eyes looked up to meet mine, the shimmer in them causing me to realize why my mother had decided on such a name; Pearl...It was perfect!