Summer

The first morning I awoke alone in my dorm, which was scarcely silent. I dressed in the few clothes I owned, trying to make a different outfit combination but they were all getting too small for me. I must have grown a few inches over the year.

Tying my now sun-kissed, strawberry blonde hair back with a black ribbon, I made my way down to the common room. Empty, as expected, besides the few curious mermaids that had approached the window looking out into the black lake; intrigued as to why a student was in the Slytherin common room when the school should have been closed.

I had always expected mermaids to be beautiful, similar to the cartoons I had sometimes caught a glimpse of on TV the orphanage. However, I was wrong. For their appearance closely resembled that of a fish; their hair knotted into thick tentacles that seemed to move of their own accord; their complexion a murky, green colour and their tails were black, to match the dark lake in which they inhibited. Their noses were small and rounded, and their eyes were spaced too far apart to be considered human-like. They wielded tridents, and would tap on the glass if they wished to gain another student's attention during the school year. I never caught a glimpse of the monstrous giant squid, that many Slytherin's had claimed to see.

The house ghost, The Bloody Baron, sat by the fireplace doused in his lover's blood. I had always been keen to avoid him during term-time, but the presence of another person in the common room diverted his attention from the fireplace and onto me. "You shouldn't be here. All of the other students returned to their muggle dwellings..." He trailed away, surprisingly, unbothered by my presence. 

I tried to collect my nerves, "Professor Dumbledore has allowed me to live in the school. I hope that is alright with you, Sir?" 

The ghost let out a cackle, "Sir? I like it. You can stay...Half-breed." He spat, narrowing his eyes towards me. I bit my tongue to avoid causing an argument with the phantom. If I wanted to get on anyone's good side, it was him. I took a seat on the chair opposite him, in front of the fire, as I began to start some second year reading material. Thirty minutes before breakfast would not do me any harm.

The Baron remained silent, and grew bored after a few minutes of watching me read, flying off to the other parts of the dungeons in the school. Shortly after his departure, I made my way towards The Great Hall for breakfast. Only Dumbledore sat at the staff table, some teachers heading home with the rest of the students. Others would reach the end of the school grounds and disapparate; something I would like to learn, eventually...

A small selection of breakfasts appeared in front of me, as I grabbed some toast and a dippy egg, along with some pumpkin juice. The room was silent, but peaceful. 

"Miss Potter?" I glanced over at Professor Dumbledore.

"Yes, Professor?"

He motioned towards the seat opposite him at the staff table. "Won't you join me for breakfast? It's awfully lonely up here..." He smirked, raising an eyebrow towards me expectantly. I nodded, gladly accepting his invitation and taking a seat beside him, where Professor McGonagall would usually sit. 

The Great Hall looked so different from the staff table, and appeared much smaller from this new perspective. The headmaster leaned in towards me, as he took a sip from his goblet of lemon juice. "I hear that Hogsmeade has some nice shops that you could take a look through. Perhaps, some new clothes are required?" 

I furrowed my eyebrows, "How did you-" Cutting myself short, the headmaster motioned towards the entrance to The Great Hall, as the Bloody Baron sauntered past. The ghost came to a halt as his eyes met mine, and he covered his sympathy with a snarl and a grimace, before continuing on his way. He had obviously noticed that they were slightly tattered in our short conversation in the common room.

"Oh." I sighed, a small chuckle escaping my lips. The wise man nodded, "And, Professor McGonagall has offered her services to escort you..." He motioned towards one of the doors to the side of the hall, as she entered with a smile across her lips. "I'll let you eat your breakfast and then we can go, my dear." She spoke, to which I nodded, "Thank you, Professor." 

Dumbledore nodded with a small glimmer in his eyes, before we resumed our breakfast with small talk about the new year, and the evidently new Defence Against the Dark Arts vacancy, due to Gilderoy Lockhart suffering complete memory loss at the hands of my spell to protect Harry, Ron and I from being Obliviated. Whoops!

***

Although summer was upon us, McGonagall insisted I took a coat to Hogsmeade; I soon discovered why, for the town was covered in a thick blanket of constant snow. It felt amazing, to be able to escape the summer heat, if only for a few hours.

We first popped into Gladrags Wizardwear, to get some new clothes. McGonagall nearly bought out the entire shop, as she displayed clear signs of sympathy towards me. I felt a little insulted, but appreciated her wishes to spoil me, nonetheless. She had told me how she always wanted to have a daughter, and it was fun spending time with a motherly figure. Although, I had to stop her before she got too carried away.

She had some letters she needed to send out to the new first years, so we stopped in the post office. Afterwards, we made a visit to Madam Puddifoot's tea shop for some lunch. It was very enjoyable spending time with the deputy headmistress, as she discussed what subjects I would be taking with the rest of the third years, and offered to tutor me in order to complete my second year transfiguration studies in time for the new term. I accepted, of course.

Although, I found I took greater comfort in the time I had spent with Professor Snape. I suppose, I just didn't know her as well; having only previously conversed with McGonagall during lessons that were solely transfiguration-based.

She insisted we headed for Honeyduke's sweet shop, where I bought some treats to see me through the holidays, and assured me I would be allowed to attend Hogsmeade again with the rest of the third years in the new term, so long as my brother would take care of me during each trip.

Although, I no longer had a guardian; I had been removed from the records at Wool's. Therefore who, truly, was taking care of me? Dumbledore? He was the one who allowed me to stay at the school. And I would need to know who to ask if I wished to go and see Harry for his Birthday in July.

So I took a mental note to raise the matter with the Headmaster, as McGonagall and I made our way up the snowy hill, a blast of heat hitting us as we quickly removed our coats. The Transfigurations professor used a charm to levitate the bags and boxes filled with my new purchases...And the walk back to the school grounds was pleasant...

Although, I still could not push away the feeling that something was missing. I felt an unfathomable loneliness the morning everyone left. I had hoped it was mostly due to my brother leaving and returning to his 'horrendous' Aunt and Uncle. But I feared I was wrong...And my loneliness was due to something, or someone, else entirely...