Chapter 8: Acquaintance?

As soon as he heard that taunting voice, Izuku's growing confidence from his earlier talk with Todoroki deflated within a second. He didn't dare to turn his head around as he heard the all too familiar voice. The blonde goes to school here too? It’s not a big deal except that it terrifies him every time he thinks about the guy, but now his nightmare has come true.

His hands started to shake as he felt a panic attack rise in his chest and he needs someone, quick! Anyone, he doesn't care if it's a stranger, just get him away from his worst nightmare, but no one's here to help him. He's just met this people and of course no one would be willing to help.

His mom must be getting ready for work right now. Katsuki may be doing his own stuff. None of Katsuki's friends were here too, it's not like they have any reason to visit their old school.

Mirio was the same. Izuku had no hope. He's done now, completely alone. Who would've thought this would happen to him and on the first day of school? He couldn't get anymore unlucky.

Why does this always happen to him?! He wish he-

"Midoriya, your seat is right next to mine, why are you sitting up here?” Todoroki called out, he was expecting the greenette to follow him earlier.

Izuku relaxed a little as he swallowed hard, at least someone made him distracted.

Other than Izuku being his seatmate, Shouto has noticed the boy's uneasiness as he looked at Izuku walking towards him then sitting down in the desk beside him. He felt something was off despite the plain look on Izuku’s face. Shouto wanted to help cause it looked like a big issue. He knows that “i’m in trouble, but i have to hide it” look too well. If Izuku needed help he would've asked for it right? Well, that's what he thought maybe he should wait.

Shouto waited for Izuku to make some sort of signal. Maybe a look or him mouthing help, just a reason for him to stand up and pull Izuku away from the person he thought the smaller's anxiety were the cause of. He already thought the person looked suspicious because he was smirking as he stood near Izuku and mind you, it wasn't the fun or teasing one a close friend would do. It was more like the sinister, evil, and mysterious kind.

That alone wasn't something Shouto is comfortable with, the guy might be a bully or something. That's why he settled with calling out for Izuku and telling him to sit down before their supposed teacher arrived.

When Izuku quietly sat down, he sighed and visibly relaxed in his seat. Shouto saw how Izuku’s shoulder slumped down, seemed like a weight on his shoulder was lifted but his face still looked pained.

Izuku then broke the silence between them after a few minutes of normalizing his breaths.

"Th- than- thanks a- a lo- lot fo- for th- that To-Todoro- Todoroki." Izuku mustered up the courage to thank him as Shouto replied with a simple nod and looked towards the boy they saw earlier

He was sitting in the seat Izuku was sitting in previously. Shouto supposed the shorter wanted a window seat so he’s a little happy Izuku was sitting on his left in a desk that’s still by the windows.

"Who is he anyway? Why were you so anxious around him?" Shouto asked bluntly

Izuku has started to trust him a little. So
he slowly decided to tell the other about it, well the brief summary of it. Besides, it's not like it's a secret or anything. Izuku’s sure the taller will see it for himself soon. Maybe Shouto could help him some time in the future?

"H- he’s a bu- bull- bully fr- from m- my pre- previ- previous sch- school, h- he li- like- likes pi- pick- picking o- on m- me." Izuku stuttered, trying his best to calm his nerves after the unfortunate encounter

It's like everything he was slowly forgetting about suddenly rushed back in. Shouto looked at Izuku as he explained the situation. He has noticed the time and concluded that they only had a few more minutes before class officially starts so he suggested to talk about it later as he helped the greenette calm down.

Soon, people quickly filled up the class. Shouto’s previous classmates from last year who were all on a summer holiday has come back and we're just as energetic as he remembered. Everyone mostly talked about their vacations, where they went to, what they did, stuff like that. Shouto wasn't really interested in that and he isn't ashamed that he's not really that close with any of his classmates either.

It's not that he doesn't like them, he just never tried to get to know them and since he was deemed to always have a cold attitude, it was quite convenient. There were times he offered some help to his classmates whenever it's needed, but it was just because well, they asked him for help.

Yes of course, he knows all their names. It's only proper since he respects them, but it's far from the friendly type. That's just how he is. They were at school to study and gain higher education, not to make friends. He thought friendships were a waste of time.

Soon, a brunette girl skipped her way into class with a huge smile on her face, she seemed excited. She enthusiastically waved to Shouto to which he responded with a small one seconds after.

She picked a seat right in front of Izuku's seat and walked over. She sat down after and quickly turned around when she has put her bag next to her seat.
"Hey Todoroki!" The girl said cheerfully

She then looked at Izuku and beamed.
"You're one of the new students right?" She said, almost cooing at Izuku's nervous antics

"Y- yes um h- hi... M-my na-name i-is Izu-Izuku Mi-Mido-Midoriya.." The boy answered

"Hi Midoriya! My name is Ochako Uraraka. Nice to meet you!" Ochako smiled and Izuku muttered out a “you too”

Next to walk in was a tall blue haired boy with glasses. He seems very serious, but because of his stiff, robotic movements, it's slightly comedic. He walked walked towards the three and sat in front of Shouto, next to Ochako.

"Hello Iida. Nice to see you again." Shouto greeted

“Hey Iida!” Ochako greeted too

The said boy, Iida, turned around and greeted them back with a smile then looked at Izuku.

"Um h- hi, I’m Iz- Izu- Izuku Mid- Midori- Midoriya." The smaller introduced himself again

"Greetings Midoriya. My name is Tenya Iida. Hope we have a great year ahead." Iida stated as his hand move stiffly

Izuku was confused at his movements, they looked so stiff. He has been staring for too long so thank goodness no one noticed it.

After a few more minutes of small chatting, a messy black haired man came into the room while dragging his saggy, yellow sleeping bag. This must be Shouta Aizawa, their homeroom teacher.

"Welcome back students, I hope you’re prepared because we won’t be wasting time." Aizawa plainly said

"We have two new students this year. Come up and introduce yourselves. The rest of you can talk to them late after class. After they’re done get out your textbooks and turn to page sixty." He added, looking at the class

...

Everyone was so silent, you could almost hear the dust moving around or their clothes crumpling whenever they moved. Their teacher was really strict so they complied. They had to, after the chaos from last year. People have matured now so hopefully they have a great year together.

As for their homeroom teacher, he isn't bad. He had a really low, monotone, but gravely voice that could be both disturbing and comforting. It was probably useful whenever he had to get the class's attention

Izuku was really hoping to get a decent teacher because his previous ones were all not so great. None of them paid any attention to any obvious bullying, they didn't even teach anything properly. Izuku was completely invisible to the school staff.

The school was soon over. Te rest of his new classmates mostly just introduced themselves and since he was a new student, it was really difficult to do it again and again. Nonetheless and in general, he like the school so far! The teachers were nice and seemed really cool! The students were kind and most of them were easygoing, but there was only one problem now...

"Hey ‘zuku, did ya miss me?" A voice said from behind Izuku