11 Stop and Smell the Roses

Jonathan

After spending a couple of hours at the club taking care of everything so we don't have to come back we head out for dinner before heading home. On a whim, I pull into Damiens restaurant, half as a check-up and half because their food used to be good at least.

I still need to dissolve this partnership and figure out what to do with it.

"How do you feel about Italian?" I ask, drawing Izzy out of her thoughts.

"Sounds good."

I bring her knuckles to my lips before slipping out of the car and helping her up. Izzy looks wide-eyed around and tugs at her sweater. "I'm underdressed," she whispers as we walk to the podium.

"I'll get us a booth off to the side, no one will notice," I assure her. "I'm not exactly dressed for it either."

"Good evening," the sharp-dressed, blonde-haired hostess greets. "Do we have a reservation tonight?"

"They don't need one," Erin announces, beelining for us. "I've got them. Right this way." She guides us towards an exposed table at the center of the dining room, no doubt their best.

"Could we have something a little more private maybe?" I ask. "Like perhaps a booth?"

"Of course... what about a balcony?" she asks, shifting her gaze between us.

"That would be perfect."

I slip my hand on Izzys lower back, drawing her closer and guiding her after Erin. Our final destination is a hallway lined with doors on one side. Erin stops at the last one and holds it open for us, revealing a small but cozy dining room, maybe ten feet by ten feet. The far side is floor-to-ceiling glass, showcasing a beautiful view of the river below.

"Hell of a view," I admit, guiding Izzy over.

"It's half the reason we chose this location," Erin replies with pride shining in her eyes. "There are ten rooms like this half are designed for small parties up to six people, the largest can sit twenty comfortably."

Izzy takes in the view, then turns and scans the simple but elegant dining room. "It's very beautiful," she adds.

"Izzy this is Erin, she runs the restaurant," I say, gesturing to Erin who bows her head. "And this is my girlfriend, Izabella."

Izzy's eyes widen and snap to mine before she recovers and holds out her hand to Erin to shake.

"It's an honour," Erin replies with a warm smile. "I hope you guys are hungry."

"I'm famished, what do you recommend?" I ask, pulling out the chair for Izzy to sit.

"If you're feeling adventurous, why not let us show you what we can do, hmm?" Erin counters.

"Sounds great." She heads out leaving us in the quiet as I take my seat.

"Do you own this too?" Izzy asks after a while.

"Do you remember me telling you about Damien?" I start, she nods. "This was his place... I invested in it and was supposed to be paid back, but now he's lost his portion, so I guess you can say I do."

Izzy furrows her brows and chews on her lips like she's trying to work through something. "But you said Erin runs it?"

"Mmmhmm," I murmur, taking a sip of water. "She followed him when he struck out on his own to start this... when he got involved with drugs, she stepped up and kept it running."

"What happens to her now?" Izzy whispers, a strange sadness in her voice.

"I'm not sure," I admit. "Damien broke our agreement in multiple ways, and when I bailed him out, I formally ended all ties with him. But now I have to figure out what to do here... What would you do?"

"Me?!" she squeaks out. "I don't know anything about restaurants!"

"You don't need to, it's business," I assure her.

"It's not business to her," Izzy counters, looking at the door Erin left through. "This means a lot to her... maybe everything."

I nod, having come to the same conclusion. I've looked the records over that she sent. The hours alone that she's personally put in, not all of them paid for, paint a clear picture, but also the way the staff reacts and her attention to the books. It's definitely a labour of love.

"It shouldn't have his name on it... It should have hers," Izzy adds.

"So you think I should stick with it?" I muse.

"Has she given you any reason to doubt her?" Izzy mumbles. Her eyes widen at her choice of words like she never intended the double meaning but once it was said that's all she could hear.

I gently take her hand in mine and draw her attention to me, locking my gaze on hers and pinning her in place. "I have never doubted her." Izzy swallows hard and nods almost to herself.

Our moment is cut short by a courtesy knock followed by the door opening. A young man drags a cart in, dressed in a classic white chef's uniform. I'm struck by his giant grin first, then his energy before noticing the intricate tattoos covering every exposed inch but his face.

"Mr. Fletcher, an honour to meet you!" he says, with the most genuine enthusiasm I have possibly ever seen. He shakes my hand with both of his before turning to Izzy. "I'm Joseph, and who might this lovely lady be?" With a smooth flourish, he grabs a single rose from behind his back, making it look like it came from thin air.

Izzy's eyes light up and the first natural smile I've seen all day slips on her lips as crimson colours her cheeks. She tentatively takes the rose, smelling it briefly before smiling once more. "Izzy," she whispers.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful soul," he replies, toning his energy down to match hers. "I've brought you guys a sampling of appetizers, I hope you're hungry."

He grabs a few plates off of the cart, setting one down in front of each of us before setting out six mini appetizers, just enough to get a taste. Next, he grabs a bottle of red wine, offering it first to Izzy who agrees to a small amount before filling my glass.

"Enjoy!" With a final flourish, he heads back out.

My attention is back on Izzy who is focused on her rose. Without thought, I grab my cell and snap a quick picture. The way the last rays of sunlight shimmer across the water behind her work with the soft candlelight from the table, practically makes her glow. Two pictures snap one after another, the first she's completely unaware, her attention focused on the flower she's smelling but the second her position is the same but she's looking up through her dark lashes.

"I wasn't ready," she complains with a slight pout.

"Then come here," I beckon, sliding my chair back and holding out my hand for her. She tilts her head and furrows her brows but gets up and comes over anyways. I pull her onto my lap and she lets out a soft giggle while I snap more photos.

"I don't understand," she finally says, looking at me with a guarded look in her eyes.

"I know, and that's my fault," I sigh. "I should have talked to you but I thought you needed space. From now on I'm going to ask, but I need you to tell me when you do need space... no matter what's going on, if you need it, I need you to be honest, can you do that for me?"

"Yes Sir," she replies, giving me a quick peck on the cheek which I almost miss with the camera.

"That's my good girl," I praise. Izzy beams up at me and her body relaxes in my arms. "Let's eat!"