66 Memories

"Angel," Jonathan whispers. My chest tightens and my eyes instantly water.

Jonathan smiles and walks over to me. He lifts my hand to his lips, gently brushing them across my knuckles then tenderly wipes a tear from my cheek.

"W-what's..." I can't even form words as I scan the area seeing candles flickering around everywhere. They cast soft, warm light into the darkness around us.

White candles outline a trail that leads left, towards the lounge. Jonathan laces his fingers with mine and sets off down the lit path towards a table where a single red candle dances. He pauses beside the table, drawing me towards him. His gaze holds such emotion I'm consumed by it and unable to look away.

"Somethings been on my mind for a while now and you said something the other day and it just kind of clicked," he murmurs.

I furrow my brows and try to think of what I could have said but come up empty. My mind struggles to process everything and make sense of this moment. "I did?"

"Mmm-hmm." He nods. "You said that you'd made so many memories here in such a short time. That got me thinking about some of the memories I've made..."

I let out a shuddering breath, my chest still tight, but I feel like I'm in some sort of dream. Jonathan turns me towards the table and moves behind me, resting his hands on my shoulders.

"This was where I first saw you..." His breath fans across my neck and sends a delightful shiver down my spine. "The club was packed and you were waiting tables. The way you moved, so effortlessly between tables and people, you were so graceful... angelic."

"I remember that night," I whisper. "You offered me a job that changed my life. I was dead set on leaving but something told me that you were safe, to trust you..."

I've often thought of what could have been if Jonathan came back a day later, or if I turned him down. He has given me the support and love I needed to thrive.

"I don't know if I ever told you how glad I was you said yes." Jonathan wraps his arms around me, drawing a content sigh from me.

"Me too..." A smile creeps onto my lips as I savour his contact.

After a moment he urges me forward and we continue down the trail to the bar. He parks me on the only stool and slips behind the bar, resting his elbows on the well-worn top. My gaze shifts between him and the red candle flickering between us.

"This is where I would sit and wait for you to make my drinks... you'd take your time to give me a break." He breaks out in a giant grin, assuring me I'm on the right path.

"From here I watched you light up the room." Jonathan nods to the empty bar room and I can see his vantage point was perfect. "Your spirit lifted and lightened all of those around you."

I drop my gaze, feeling my cheeks heat. Jonathan lifts my chin to draw my eyes to him.

"It's where I realized just how special you are..." The intensity of his gaze makes my heart flutter.

All too soon he lets go and slips from behind the bar and comes back, holding out a hand for me once more. I take it and slip off the stool, following the path down to the play floor and see another red candle. It flickers brightly, calling to us.

Jonathan wraps his arms around me once more and nods ahead to the stage. "This is where we watched our first show after going public. I introduced you to one of my oldest friends and you made me so proud to call you mine."

I have to swallow a lump in my throat as my emotions threaten to overwhelm me. My words have long since abandoned me and I hold on to him like a lifeline.

He turns us once more and sends me down the lit path to the end where one final candle burns brightly. Nothing comes to mind for this spot. I turn to face him, feeling tears on my cheeks.

Jonathan stands just out of reach, his gaze never wavering from me. He looks completely at ease with his arms behind his back and an easy smile. The way the soft light plays off of his features makes him look sureal.

He's my prince charming...

"You made me realize that we have made so many memories here, but I wanted one more." He pauses and takes a deep breath then takes a step towards me.

"This here is the spot." Jonathan drops to one knee and pulls a little black box from behind his back. "It's where I ask the love of my life to do me the honour of being my wife."

I gasp as he opens the box, revealing an elegant ring and cover my mouth to hide a sob. Tears stream down my cheeks as I nod unable to speak. Nothing would make me happier than spending the rest of my days with him.

Jonathan beams at me and slips the ring onto my finger. Stunning diamonds sparkle in the low light on a platinum woven band that looks like braided rope. Claps and cheers ring out, cluing me in that our friends were in on it. He has me in his arms and his lips claim mine before I can fully process it.

Jonathan breaks our heated kiss and rests his forehead on mine. "I feel like the luckiest man on the earth."

My chest feels so full that it could burst at any moment. "Me too," I reply breathlessly.

"Okay lovebirds," Anne calls. "Now that the cat's out of the bag, let's get this party started!"

Jonathan chuckles and lets me go before taking my hand in his. He brings it to his lips before winking at me. "After you, Mrs. Fletcher."

I can't wipe the silly grin from my face. "I think I like the sound of that."

Viktor has a bottle of champagne in hand as we make our way back into the limo and every one offers congratulations. Our life really feels like a fairy tale now, travelling, getting engaged, everything I never thought I could do.

"Here's to the next chapter!" Becca lifts her glass for a toast and we all lean in. "To the next great photographer." She nods at Jack who grins back. "And our friends, who deserve all the happiness in the world!"

Our glasses ring out and I take a sip of the bubbly drink. My nose instantly crinkles as the sharp fizz hits my pallet.

Jonathan chuckles. "A little dry for you, hmm?"

"Just different." I take another sip and swirl my glass.

Anne laughs her eyes locked on mine. "You only need one sip to seal the toast, we'll get you something else at the club."

My cheeks heat as Jonathan drinks the rest of mine so I won't feel bad for wasting it. Before long we pull up to the front door of the new Bliss. This is the first time I've seen the black and violet lights on and even outside we can hear the sensual beats coming from inside.

Jonathan wraps his arm around my waist and stands tall, a permanent grin plastered on his face. "I think it's time to celebrate, don't you?"

"Absolutely, Sir!"