70 Shattered

I jolt upright at the loud bagging on the steel door. A moment later, the bolt slides open with a clunk, leaving us shielding our eyes against the bright light spilling in.

Alec stands in the door, his dark eyes raking over us. "Get up," he orders.

Becca's grip tightens on my arm, but she makes no move to rise. The bruise on her cheek looks worse now, mottled in different shades of black and blue, and a faint dark circle rings around her nearby eye.

Alec crosses his arms over his chest and cock his head to the side. "Get out here before I drag you out here."

His warning isn't bravado. I know firsthand what the man is capable of and have no interest in testing him. Slowly, I rise, helping Becca up and notice her wince as she puts weight on her left ankle.

Careful to keep my gaze low, I lead us out, keeping myself between Becca and Alec. I hug her shoulder tightly to me and she keeps her arm wrapped around my waist, letting me take some of the weight for her.

Max sits at a rickety table in the middle of a cavernous space. I scan the area for clues as to where we are, but nothing stands out. The only light is from industrial fixtures above that cast a harsh yellow tinge on everything.

There are leaves, papers and God knows what littering the concrete floor in various states of decomposition. My best guess is we're in an old warehouse somewhere. Judging by the musty smell, one that hasn't been used in quite some time.

"Sit." Max gestures to the chairs beside him and arches a brow when we don't immediately move to them.

Becca mutters under her breath as I guide her to sit in the chair nearest Max, leaving me sitting next to Alec. My skin crawls as he takes a seat and scootches closer. Every fibre in my being screams for me to run, but I know there's nowhere to go.

I need to buy time. Surely Tony will be looking for Becca. My vision clouds as my thoughts drift once more to Jonathan. I can't wipe the image of him lying in the street from my mind.

"So you can behave." Alec's dig draws me out of my thoughts and making it hard to focus.

He pulled the trigger. He's the reason Jonathan is dead... I don't care if it costs me my last breath, he'll pay for what he did!

"Give them a break." Max sighs and palms his forehead. "Let them eat in peace."

"Who do you think you're talking to?" Alec snaps. "If it wasn't for me, you'd still be a looser, sitting on your couch, pining for the girl next door."

His words hit with the force of a full back hand, leaving my jaw hanging and eyes wide as I look at Max. He was behind this all?!

Max cringes and reaches for me, but I shrink back and hug myself tightly.

"Please, Izzy, it wasn't like that at all!"

Alec throws his head back and lets out a sharp, bitter laugh. "Wasn't like that? Please!" He leans in close to me and grins. "He used to follow you to that club, you know? Then whine about how you'd go there but wouldn't give him the time of day. Meanwhile, he wasn't man enough to go in himself."

"Shut up!" Max shoots out of his seat, fists balled as he takes a threatening step towards Alec.

"Or what?" He scoffs. "You should have seen how he begged me to tell him what I saw..." Alec's face splits into a wicked grin, delighting in Max's anger.

"Why..." My chest tightens, making it impossible to even get my question out. I always thought Max was just the nice guy next door. Even I could tell he had a crush on me, but I thought I made it clear that nothing would happen between us.