59 Not in Oz Anymore

Becca and Nat stare at me with a mix of wide eyes and open mouths as I finish my tale. Both are far quieter than I expected, only adding to my discomfort.

Becca snaps out of her stupor first and shakes her head violently. "No. I don't believe it. There's got to be some reasonable explanation-"

"Girl please," Natasha cuts in. "Weren't you listening? She tried talking to him, but he's being evasive! I hate to say it but he's hiding something."

A small whimper slips past my lips as my chest tightens painfully. I had hoped my mind was just playing tricks on me, but I can tell from their reactions it's not.

"But maybe it's good?" Becca's uncertain tone makes it clear even she doesn't believe it.

"If you overlook what she overheard in Viktor's office about having to level with her, and worried about how she'll take it, how can you ignore the rest?" Nat practically growls as she puts her finger in the air and proceeds with her list. "He's secretly clearing his calendar, there's some secret airplane reservation for one, one-way ticket... one way, Becs! As in not coming back!"

I can't hold back my sniffle as I wrap my arms around myself tighter. The pit in my stomach only grows heavier the clearer things are.

He's leaving me behind... just like Loni.

I thought I was different... special.

"Oh honey," Becca coos. She wraps her arms around me and is joined a moment later by Natasha. "It'll be okay, and if he does you dirty, I'll just have to kill him."

Her matter-of-fact tone feels like a slap, drawing my wide eyes to hers. Fierce determination burns in them, warning how angry she is.

"I-I just don't understand why," I whimper. "I thought he was happy? I thought we were happy..."

Becca hangs her head and shakes it. "There has to be a reason, I don't get it..."

"If she has flat out asked him and he won't answer, I say we go to the horse's mouth." Natasha crosses her arms over her chest and waits for us to get on board.

"But I tried that Nat, he keeps changing the subject." Every time I bring up his schedule change or if he's going somewhere he brushes me off, saying he's trying to lighten the load. I can't fully come out and ask him about the one-way ticket because I was snooping.

"Not him," she groans, rolling her eyes. "The nag!"

"Who? Loni?" Becca scoffs.

"Well, why not? There are only two people who know for sure what went on... if Jonathan won't talk, what choice does she have?"

I bury my face in my hands, wishing to wake up from this nightmare but I can't. Trying to act like nothing happened at the pool party was hard enough, but after days of digging and getting nowhere, I'm desperate.

"I don't like her," Becca growls. She huffs and sinks back into her seat but has no other suggestion.

"I don't either, but this is killing me," I whisper. The not knowing has my mind racing making my heart heavy and a good night's sleep impossible.

"Then let's go," Becca says, giving my hand a squeeze. "Besides we can just beat it out of her..." Her wicked smile warns that she's not joking.

"I suppose you have her on speed dial?" I roll my eyes, hating this more and more.

"Speed dial no, but I know where she is tonight..." Natasha flashes me a sly smile but it makes my stomach churn. "Don't worry Izzy, we've got your back!"