69 Please

Shouts break me free from the iron grip of sleep and I startle awake, scrambling up. Becca's puffy gaze finds mine as she motions for me to calm down. She holds a finger over her lips and nods to the open door.

My heart hammers but I force myself to join her on the bench and cock my ear towards the open door. I quickly scan our surroundings and see no windows. The place looks abandoned with molding papers and leaves covering the stained concrete floor. Even the walls look derelict as paint flakes and rust consumes them.

As my senses return the argument happening just outside of the cracked door comes into focus. I scootch closer to Becca, lacing my fingers with hers and squeeze.

"The fuck were you thinking!" Max shouts. "Do you have any idea how many people saw you?!"

"Saw me?" Alec retorts. "What about you? That cabbie saw you! He was laying there and you still couldn't finish the fucking job!" Glass shatters against the wall as if to make his point.

My eyes water and I clamp my hand over my mouth to keep from making any sounds as I remember poor Leo getting knocked out. He risked everything to help me and now I don't even know if he's still alive.

Tears stream down my cheeks and I hug myself tightly as I rock. The look on Jonathan's face before the shot rang out will be burned into my mind for eternity. I replay the moment, over and over again in my mind, searching for any sign that he's okay, but every time it ends the same. Jonathan laying face down in the street, not moving.

"Shh, it'll be okay," Becca whispers, hugging me tightly. Her lip is split and she has a big purple bruise on her cheek but otherwise looks okay.

"This isn't what we talked about!" Max shoots back. "No one was supposed to get hurt."

"You can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs."

Max scoffs. "Do you even hear yourself right now? Do you?!" His shoes scrape across debris as he starts to pace. "Jezus Christ, you have no idea how fucked we are right now!"

"Would you relax? Nothing has changed-"

"Nothing has changed!?" Max parrots. "Everything has changed! Instead of grabbing Izzy and disappearing into the night, you shot up a fucking grocery store, with God knows what as a body count, setting off a manhunt!"

"Relax! By this time tomorrow, we'll be sipping margaritas on the beach. They're setting up road blocks and locking the airports down, no one's looks at cargo ships."

Becca's eyes widen as they lay their plan out. The chances of anyone finding us if they manage to smuggle us to Mexico is slim to none.

"You ladies hear that? A nice little vacation in Mexico..."

Becca squeaks as Alec steps into the doorway. He grins at us like a cat would an unsuspecting mouse.

"Please, just let us go." I can't see straight from all the tears streaming down my face.

Alec pounces on me and lifts me out of the seat, pushing me against the wall. His crazed gaze locks on mine, sending a chill coursing down my spine.

"Now why on earth would we do a dumb thing like that, hmm?" He wrenches my face back when I try to look away as if demanding an answer.

"Let her go, Alec. Izzy is mine," Max warns.

I break down and sob, hearing him say that. In this moment I feel the shattered fragments of my life fall away. How can I go from being the happiest I've ever been to living in a nightmare? Everything I've ever wanted was taken away with a single shot.

"She's Jonathan's you asshole!" Becca screeches as she throws herself at him, hitting and kicking him for all she's worth.

With one backhand he sends her flying to the ground while using the other to keep me pinned in place. He scoffs at her as she tries to get up and kicks her in the stomach to keep her down.

"Worthless bitch," he spits. My heart drops as he turns his deranged gaze back to me. Alec leans in close and looks me over like a feast. "Dear Johnny boy isn't going to have any use for her anymore, now is he?"

His taunt feels like a knife to my heart, leaving me limp in his grasp. Alec laughs and lets me fall to the ground.

"If I were you two, I would think very carefully about your futures..." Alec shifts his attention between me and Becca as she crawls over to me. "No one knows where you are, and no one is coming for you. The only reason you're still alive is by our good graces."

He squats down and pulls Becca's hair back to make her look at him. She fights back a growl but glares defiantly at him.

"And you. I would start to think about what I could do to stay in those good graces." He lets her go with a jerk and stalks back out the door.

Max shuffles over to us and I flinch away.

"Shhh, Izzy. It's okay, I'll keep him away from you." He looks at me with such sympathy it makes my blood boil.

"This is your fault! Jonathan is dead because of you!" I shove him with all my might and crawl away from him, not wanting to be anywhere near him.

"Why?!" My voice breaks as the pieces of my heart shatter even smaller.

"Izzy, it was never supposed to come to this!" He locks his desperate gaze on mine and pleads for me to believe him. "Everything just got so out of control."

I curl up, wrapping my arms around my legs and bury my face. All I want is for Jonathan to wake me up from this nightmare and tell me it's going to be okay... but he can't... he's gone...

Max takes the hint and backs off. He gets up and pauses at the door, looking over his shoulder. "It'll get better, you'll see. Don't try and escape. There's nowhere to go."

I lift my teary eyes to him in time to see him shut the door. A moment later a heavy bolt slides into place.

My stomach drops as the last shred of hope dissolve into nothingness. This storage room is barely bigger than a closet with no windows and thick metal walls. The only way in and out has been barred shut, sealing our fate.

Absentmindedly I spin Jonathan's engagement ring around my finger, taking small comfort that I have it with me still. Curled up with Becca in the dark, I focus on calming her as guilt consumes me for dragging her into this. 

"He's coming for you, don't doubt that," I whisper. Becca nods and sniffs back a sob. "We just have to buy time."

"Jonathan will come too," she mumbles. "You're his world. He's not gonna let that asshole take you from him."

I choke back my own sob, unable to tell her what happened when we were taken. The image of him laying face down in the street is seared into my mind. I force it out, instead thinking back to one of our lazy Saturday mornings, laying in bed together. My head rests on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat as his fingertips trail up and down my arms. Clinging to that memory like a beacon in the dark, sleep claims me once more.