62 Try Again

Jonathan

The ride back is in tense silence. The only noise is from Anne talking on her cell to her police buddy as she gives him a heads up.

I can't get the image of Izzy cowering in the middle of that mob out of my head. The look of terror in her eyes is going to haunt me, but now that she's safe I can barely contain my anger.

My mind races with the possibilities of what could have happened if we had been any later. All of her progress could have been undone with another attack.

How can I protect her if she hides stuff and puts herself in danger like this?!

I was so focused on getting to her I didn't pay attention to anyone else... that's the type of place Alec could be in and she would never know until it was too late.

I take a deep breath and look at her, tucked against my side, quietly sobbing. It takes everything in me not to coddle her and promise everything will be okay. But that's what I need, she needs to realize just how much danger she was in.

The shuttle stops at our house and Demarcus pulls the lever to open the doors for us. I get up, guide her to her feet and turn her to look at me. Her eyes are red and puffy, her cheeks tear-stained and she looks ready to break down in a single moment.

"I want you upstairs and presenting by the time I get there." Her sapphire eyes go wide but she nods and scurries off.

Anne grabs my arm to stop me. "Jonathan," she pleads. "Don't do this angry-"

I jerk my arm away and step back. "I appreciate all that you've done for us tonight, all of you, but this is between me and Izzy."

She flinches back, clearly not having expected my reaction. We've been through a lot over the years, but there is a sacredness to the Dominant and submissive relationship that should be respected.

I nod to the guys on the way out and stalk off to the house. Inside, I take my time removing my shoes and jacket before making my way upstairs.

By the time I get there, Izzy is in place, kneeling at the end of our bed. I make her wait, tossing my coat on the chair and taking off my tie.

"Endure." She follows my command instantly, lifting onto her toes into a squat and lacing her fingers behind her head.

I leave her like that for a few minutes to register the gravity of the situation and do a walkthrough downstairs. Making sure everything is how we left it gives me peace of mind and buys time for my temper to simmer down slightly.

Not wanting to wait anymore, I head back upstairs and pull a chair up in front of her. She keeps her gaze low as I take a seat. I don't miss how her legs and arms quiver under the strain but force myself to stay on course.

"Why am I angry, Bella?" She flinches from my tone alone.

"Because I went to see Loni, Sir," she whispers.

I sigh, not wanting to prolong this. "Be specific, Bella," I warn.

"You don't want me to talk to her, Sir."

I gape at her, stunned by her thought process. "Wrong. Try again."

Her gaze flicks up for a moment before hitting the floor once more. Her brows draw tight as she searches for something else. "Because I went to another club?"

I frown at her poor attempt at fishing and how far off base she is.

"Wrong. Go to the chest and pick out a paddle for me."

Her eyes once again snap to mine but she does what she's told and gets up on shaky legs and moves over to the trunk. I watch as she pulls out the tray of paddles, arranged from nicest to most bite and she automatically goes for the worst.

"Pick the one that fits your punishment, not the worst one," I clarify. I know my toys well and cannot fathom using the slitted one on her.

She pulls out a couple before settling on one. A moment later she's kneeling at my feet and presenting her choice.

I take the heavy oak paddle from her and take a better look at it. Bad girl is cut into it, coupled with the shape and weight are sure to sting.

"Over my knee." Once more she doesn't hesitate and drapes herself over my knee. "What's your safe word, Bella?"

"Mercy," she whimpers between soft sobs.

"Use it if you need to." Without warning, I wind up and bring the paddle down across both ass cheeks hard, making her yelp and buck. I want her to know just how serious this is. "Why am I angry?" I ask once more.

"Because I went to that club without your permission."

*Whack*

She squeaks as the paddle leaves fresh welts. The first strike is already red, leaving bad girl written across her skin. I shift our position to pin her legs between mine for better control.

"No."

"Because I talked to Loni?" Repeating the same answers tells me she doesn't get it at all!

*Whack*

Izzy lets out a shrill noise as she pushes away from me, but her trapped legs keep her in place.

"No. You've already said that," I growl.

"I don't know!" She snaps. Her outburst is like dousing gasoline on my fire.

*Whack*

She starts to cry once more and it feels like a punch to my gut.

"I don't care if you want to try out new clubs or even just visit, though as your Dominant I should escort you! Loni means nothing to me. I've told you this and answered all your questions yet this still happened."

*Whack*

Izzy fists my pant leg and sobs into it but says nothing.

"I'm angry because you thought it would be a good idea to go to a seedy club in a rundown part of town and put yourself in danger."

My next strike is on her tender sit spot and she screams into my leg. Sobs once again wrack her body and I question my resolve.

"You left your guard outside, anything could have happened to you in there! If we hadn't gotten there when we did..." I shudder as the image of her cowering in fear once again flashes in my mind.

I paddle her once more but it lacks the force of the others. The point is made, I won't push her too far.

She turns on me, locking her teary-eyed gaze on me and I'm struck by the anger in them. "You're leaving, so what does it matter?!"

I flip her over so fast I have to steady her to keep from falling. "What did you say?"

Her fire was a flash in the pan and she looks away, sniffing back angry tears.

"Bella," I warn.

"I know what you've been hiding..."