34 Becca

Jonathan

With Becca being taken care of by Tony, our attention is free to be elsewhere. Today was supposed to be her day but the moment Becca showed up, Izzy put her needs aside and stepped up.

The pride I felt watching Izzy handle the situation instead of falling apart was immense. Even now, she had every right to say she needed some 'her time' but no. The look on her face when she considered anything but playing host was almost comical, except for one thing... her sincerity.

She has such a big heart, in spite of what she's been through, or maybe because of it. There's not a day that goes by she doesn't surprise me.

I set to work cleaning off the kitchen table and putting all our work stuff away. Neither of us expected company so we take the intermission as a chance to tidy up.

Becca and Tony come down after a while. Her eyes are puffy but dry as she stays safely attached to his side.

"Everything okay?" I ask, shifting my gaze between Becca and him.

"It will be," he answers giving her a reassuring squeeze. "Listen, I can't thank you enough-"

"You're not honestly thinking of going back out in that storm are you?" I question, arching a brow. "Stay, have dinner, let it clear up."

"We insist," Izzy pipes up, sounding unconvincing.

"We've already been such an imposition, " Tony deflects, graciously trying to slip away.

"Honestly, it's no imposition," I stress.

One of the things I've been meaning to do is get to know him better since I've been back. I've known Anne forever and Viktor nearly as long but Tony stepped up while I was on the road. With Izzy and Becca becoming close friends it's the perfect reason.

"I'm making fresh pasta," Izzy adds, trying to sweeten the deal.

Even Becca looks up with a hopeful look in her eyes. Tony chuckles and tenderly cups her cheek. "How can I say no?"

Becca reaches up and pecks him on the cheek. "Thanks bear."

"Can I get you something to drink? Let the girls have some time?" I offer, gesturing to the living room.

He checks in with Bacca who nods with a small smile before letting go and slipping over to where Izzy stands. Tony heads into the living room and palms his face before sinking down on the couch.

I pour a couple of glasses of scotch, passing him one before I take a seat in my chair. "Some day eh?" He looks a million miles away.

"Fuck," he scoffs then chuckles. "Ain't that the truth."

I look over my shoulder into the kitchen, making sure the girls are busy before I lean forward. "Is she okay?"

"Yeah, just a really bad episode." He sighs. "Listen, I can't thank you enough for-"

"Stop right there," I say, waving him off. "She's always welcome here, we're just glad to help."

"At least someone did," he grumbles, catching my attention.

"Someone didn't?" The grimace on his face is answer enough for my question.

"She ran into that piece of shit she dated..."

"Do we need the police?" I ask, suddenly worried about any evidence we might have cleaned up.

He shakes his head. "No, but he'll need an ambulance if I ever meet the prick. He won't touch her but fucks with her mind... got her all flustered and confused at her car. Locked her keys in."