12 Home Stretch

Jonathan

The week goes by in a blur as I struggle to catch up. After what turned out to be an impromptu date night, things with Izzy feel more natural again. Our first major hurdle was going down the station to see Detective Hicks. Thankfully he didn't want to go over her statement again but did ask her to look at some pictures, though he wouldn't say why.

Izzy met with Marilyn the next day but still isn't herself. Our days start early and have been running till well into the evening, leaving us both exhausted.

Along with closing the deal with Sam came a mountain of paperwork and audits as we transferred control of his company over to the new owners. While I threw myself at that, I had Izzy working on our other accounts and her new pet project, Milla-Vista.

We spent nearly four hours sampling their menu and talking that night. Joseph even went as far as to show Izzy how he makes his signature desserts. Having enjoyed the food, witnessed the atmosphere and met the staff, I couldn't end it if I tried. Erin was prepared and more than happy to submit a business proposal which Izzy went over and approved, effectively making Erin her first client.

Not that I don't trust Izzy, she's very keen but half of the reason I gave her that account was to distract her. I've caught her slipping into old habits and been unable to address it at the time. When we finally have free time away from meetings and distractions she's exhausted and long forgotten about her behaviour.

Long days didn't bother me in the past, but that was before I met Izzy, now I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do in my evenings. After today we will be caught up and life should fall back into some semblance of normalcy.

"Hey Iz," I call from my office.

She walks in a moment later, dressed professionally in a black pencil skirt and white blouse with her hair falling in soft waves down her back. She stops in front of my desk, her blue eyes looking up expectantly.

"Can you work on this pile of files here?" I've just got to run to the bank for a bit.

"Of course. I'll have them put away by the time you're back," she replies, her cheeks flushed.

"No rush, what you don't get done today we can finish tomorrow," I assure her and grab the papers I need before heading out.

I feel like I'm on autopilot as I run my errand. On a whim, I stop and order us a pizza, knowing it's been such a long day that Izzy shouldn't have to cook on top of everything.

While I wait for the pizza I wander over to Leather & Lace. After working so hard and not having much 'us time' I want to do something special. Talking with Marilyn has reminded me that play doesn't have to stop, I just need to be mindful and change my approach a bit.

Thinking back to when she told me about the spa she and Jack went to, I didn't miss Izzy's reaction when she talked about the massage. I've known from the get-go how tactile she is. Izzy responds to even the slightest touch, to the point she can communicate without words, both taking commands and asking. It's a little thing that has become a big part of our dynamic.

After aimlessly walking around and picking up a few key items that catch my eye, I come across the section I came for. I trail my fingertip across the selection, stopping on red and grin.

Izzy looks fantastic with anything red.

Her alabaster skin and raven locks will contrast nicely with crimson, making the choice effortless.

The beauty of a specialty store like this is that they have the best selection and Leather & Lace is known for its craftsmen network, capable of doing elite custom work. Izzy's Foxy collar was a custom order and gave me an idea for a safer way to play.

If anyone can make what I need, it's them.

"Lucky girl," the cashier wistfully sighs as she rings me up. Her brown hair is pulled back into a simple braid, showcasing the velvet choker she wears. She scans the area before leaning in and adding. "Did you hear that Bliss is expanding?"

"Oh?" I murmur giving nothing away.

"Yeah," she excitedly replies. "It's gonna be epic! Their waitlist for membership was so long, hopefully I can actually get in now."

"I had no idea that the local scene had grown so much," I admit. "I just moved back to town a couple of months ago."

"Trust me, that's the club to go to!" She assures me as she leans in once more. "I mean there's Darius' Den and The Vault nearby... but neither are as safe or clean, not that I should be saying anything..."

"I appreciate your candour," I say with a chuckle.

"You should get your application in soon though. Once they open up membership again, it's gonna be a mad rush!" She warns. "They haven't taken on new members in like a year and the waitlist is so long."

"Oh?" I muse, surprised she's this invested.

"Yeah," she sheepishly replies. "By the time I finally got the nerve to join they were waitlisting." With a shrug, she packs up my order and slides it over to me.

I fish around in my wallet as I slip my credit card back and pull out a black and violet embossed guest pass for Bliss. She stares at me for a moment before her eyes go wide.

"Seriously!?" She gasps, snatching the card. "Oh my God thank you!"

"Enjoy, though guest passes are only good during the week," I warn.

"Not a problem!" She squeals, struggling to contain herself. The way she clutches the pass to her chest you'd think I gave her something priceless.

Maybe Anne's right, the demand is has grown that much.

I grab my bag and nod as I head out, stopping two stores down to grab dinner before heading back out. A stupid grin is glued to my face as I go over my mental shopping list.

The possibilities are endless.

Before long I'm home and tuck the bag into the backseat to surprise her with tomorrow, tonight I just want to veg out, maybe cuddle. Something feels off the moment I step inside. I set the pizza down on the coffee table and head for my office. The lights are on but I see nothing until I walk in. Izzy is kneeling on the floor with files spread around her.

Poor thing must have dropped them.

I stop mid-stride as I go to help her, caught off guard by her expression. Her face is red, brows furrowed with a scowl etched in place. She's so caught up in her head that she doesn't even realize I'm there.

"Izzy?" I call, walking over to her. She looks up briefly before snapping her gaze back to the ground and hastily closing the files. I'm no mind reader but I don't have to be to know what's going on in her mind... nothing good.

"Sorry," she mutters as she tries to rush and finish up.

"Leave them Izzy," we can finish them tomorrow.

Her fist tightens on the folder in her hand almost like she's struggling with something, even her lips are pressed tightly together. Still gripping the file she stands, keeping her eyes on the floor. I recognize that avoidant look as the same one she'd have when I caught her berating herself.

"What's wrong?" I ask, craning my neck to get a better look at her face.

"Nothing," she dismisses, shifting and looking away.

She's a terrible liar...

"Izzy, tell me something good about yourself," I state, noting how her eyes widen and flicker to me briefly before shifting back to the ground.

Her avoidance just confirms my suspicions. She's literally slammed her mouth shut to keep from saying something bad about herself, but that's done nothing to silence her mind.

"Tell me something good about yourself Izabella, right now," I order, locking my gaze on her. Heat radiates through my body as I watch her stand there silently, almost defiantly.

Not how I planned to spend my evening, but there are no interruptions left...